Women OCI Interview Attire? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Xifeng

Gold

Re: Women OCI Interview Attire?

Post by Xifeng » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:57 pm

My jackets are all two buttons. And my gray OCI suit was medium gray.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:21 pm

sap wrote:I think the number of buttons matters less if the suit isn't designed to make the buttons stand out. However, when the suit is gray and has large black buttons, only having one really emphasizes the more casual style.
Ah, I get it, that makes sense. I personally don't think the button in question is that large/obtrusive, but certainly the style of buttons can make a huge difference in the look. (I actually love the jacket in question and don't consider it super casual, but I'm also in a really casual part of the world. And even so no, I wouldn't do 3/4 sleeves for OCI.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:24 pm

OP of the jacket here. Thanks SO much for the quick comments. So how about this one in black? http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/su ... /23346.jsp
With this dress... http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/su ... /24155.jsp

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:37 pm

The jacket's great! Either in black or the grey or the navy, it's all good and classy.

I like the dress, but I'd personally be worried about not wearing a shell underneath. Bare arms are often considered less professional, and I know that I sweat a lot, and want to be able to take off my jacket if an interview room is super hot so that I don't end up with sweat in my eyes and being the most awkward girl the interviewer sees all day. It really just depends on your body and how you react to stress.

I'd also bear in mind that without a shell, you're gonna be wearing the same thing under the jacket for a couple of days straight (assuming you go to a school that does a full-week OCI) and it's August. If you're the kind of person that doesn't generate much moisture, that might be fine for you, but I definitely wouldn't be able to do that.

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 pm

sap wrote:The jacket's great! Either in black or the grey or the navy, it's all good and classy.

I like the dress, but I'd personally be worried about not wearing a shell underneath. Bare arms are often considered less professional, and I know that I sweat a lot, and want to be able to take off my jacket if an interview room is super hot so that I don't end up with sweat in my eyes and being the most awkward girl the interviewer sees all day. It really just depends on your body and how you react to stress.

I'd also bear in mind that without a shell, you're gonna be wearing the same thing under the jacket for a couple of days straight (assuming you go to a school that does a full-week OCI) and it's August. If you're the kind of person that doesn't generate much moisture, that might be fine for you, but I definitely wouldn't be able to do that.
This jacket looks too casual to me, but it may be the styling. I think that if you put it on and it looks professional, you're good.

I agree about not wearing a dress for OCI. I think a skirt suit is a better option. I usually wear dress suits for networking events or the like, but prefer skirts or pants for an interview. I agree with the rest of what sap says - remember you may be wearing this for multiple days and sweating. Plus, you may want to take of the jacket while waiting between interviews or such if it is wicked hot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm

I was under the impression that suit jackets should be kept on at all times, because you'll look too casual otherwise. Is that wrong?

Also, where are you ladies finding shells with sleeves? All of my silk shells are sleeveless and look like below, so taking off my jacket probably wouldn't be an option, right?

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:55 pm

soupisgood wrote:I was under the impression that suit jackets should be kept on at all times, because you'll look too casual otherwise. Is that wrong?

Also, where are you ladies finding shells with sleeves? All of my silk shells are sleeveless and look like below, so taking off my jacket probably wouldn't be an option, right?
I agree that they should be kept on during interviews. I meant in case it was really hot and you were waiting in someplace without employers for a while between interviews.

I prefer button downs, so I try to get a short sleeve. I've only found three quarter length sleeves that work, because most of the button downs currently in stores are too low cut for me. I'm still hoping to find a short sleeve.

I wouldn't take off my jacket during an interview whether or not I had sleeves. I suppose if it was around 100F and the interviewer took theirs off and invited me to do the same, I might. But even if it's hot, it's only 20-30 minutes.

With shirts like that (and really any shirt), I would suggest checking how it looks before OCI in case it doesn't look quite right. I have a decent number of professional shirts (business casual) that just don't work under one or more of my suits. That's not something you want to realize on the morning of the interview.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:39 am

BostonLove wrote: With shirts like that (and really any shirt), I would suggest checking how it looks before OCI in case it doesn't look quite right. I have a decent number of professional shirts (business casual) that just don't work under one or more of my suits. That's not something you want to realize on the morning of the interview.
On that note, I took my OCI suit jackets shopping with me when I bought shirts for interviews. There were plenty I loved without the jacket that just didn't work with it.

re: suits, I have this one and can't recommend it enough to poor students like me. Not too pricey, perpetually on sale, and it holds up.

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:47 am

Perhaps chovinistic. Skirts vs pants is mainly about the legs, If you have great or average legs, skirt, If not (too heavy, too thin, too whatever), pants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:11 pm

iLaw wrote:Perhaps chovinistic. Skirts vs pants is mainly about the legs, If you have great or average legs, skirt, If not (too heavy, too thin, too whatever), pants.
Does this have anything to do with what's appropriate for OCI/what employers prefer, or is it just what you personally like to look at?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
iLaw wrote:Perhaps chovinistic. Skirts vs pants is mainly about the legs, If you have great or average legs, skirt, If not (too heavy, too thin, too whatever), pants.
Does this have anything to do with what's appropriate for OCI/what employers prefer, or is it just what you personally like to look at?
it certainly has nothing to do with spelling chauvinistic right.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:44 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
it certainly has nothing to do with spelling chauvinistic right.
:lol:

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:27 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:it certainly has nothing to do with spelling chauvinistic right.
Which certainly proves I cannot be chauvinistic if I do not know how to spell it. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 pm

iLaw wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:it certainly has nothing to do with spelling chauvinistic right.
Which certainly proves I cannot be chauvinistic if I do not know how to spell it. :)
And yet it seems you can.

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
iLaw wrote:
And yet it seems you can.
Truly amazing, eh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Nude-colored patent pumps with navy suit - would that be appropriate for a callback?

Nude shoes like this: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Jimmy-Cho ... 129440032/

Thanks!

Anonymous Associate

Bronze

Post by Anonymous Associate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nude-colored patent pumps with navy suit - would that be appropriate for a callback?

Thanks!
I think nude ^could^ be OK, but I would stick to black. And definitely something without a platform.

If you are going higher-end, something like this:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Manolo-Bl ... at=product

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:19 pm

What about a black blazer over a black conservative dress?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about a black blazer over a black conservative dress?
not for OCI. This isn't the time to take risks. Could it be totally fine? sure. But it's not going to help and it may hurt.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:01 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
not for OCI. This isn't the time to take risks. Could it be totally fine? sure. But it's not going to help and it may hurt.
Also (though this may not be what you mean), if they're not from the same manufacturer/line by the manufacturer, it's almost impossible to match blacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Also (though this may not be what you mean), if they're not from the same manufacturer/line by the manufacturer, it's almost impossible to match blacks.
Yes, same manufacturer/brand. good to know it's risky. thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nude-colored patent pumps with navy suit - would that be appropriate for a callback?

Thanks!
I wore this exact outfit to one of my clerkship interviews (older, male judge in a southern/conservative state) and got the job. I would definitely NOT wear black shoes...black shoes with a navy suit is OK for a man, but I don't think its kosher for women.

Maybe something dark grey with blue undertones if you really want to be conservative.

http://www.anntaylor.com/perfect-leathe ... Color=6600

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am

Wear black shoes if you want to wear black shoes. There's next to no chance your interviewers will care or even notice that you have on black shoes, regardless of the color of your suit. If we're taking risk, nude patent shoes are objectively riskier than black shoes, even with a navy suit.

Feel confident in what you are wearing and look put together. The end. It doesn't matter one or two buttons, one undone, side vents or center vent. Every person I know who does banking or firm interviews could care less what you wear as long as you meet a basic threshold of professionalism.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:58 am

I wear black shoes with a navy suit. My suit is so dark that it's black at first glance, and brown shoes would look terrible. (Plus I just don't like brown shoes very much. There are too many colors of brown so it's too easy to wear the wrong shade.)

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:12 pm

JenDarby wrote:Wear black shoes if you want to wear black shoes. There's next to no chance your interviewers will care or even notice that you have on black shoes, regardless of the color of your suit. If we're taking risk, nude patent shoes are objectively riskier than black shoes, even with a navy suit.

Feel confident in what you are wearing and look put together. The end. It doesn't matter one or two buttons, one undone, side vents or center vent. Every person I know who does banking or firm interviews could care less what you wear as long as you meet a basic threshold of professionalism.
Yes, this. We debate in the fashion thread all the time about the appropriate shoe color to wear with a navy suit, but truly, any neutral is going to be fine. I always opt for black, but nude looks sharp as well.

Though for men, black shoes with navy suit is more than fine; it's the standard to dress it up. Brown dresses down. They have more clear-cut rules than we do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”