FDA law or IP Litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I go into FDA law or IP litigation, given my background

FDA Law
29%
IP Litigation
71%

Total votes: 7

SDviaVA

Bronze

FDA law or IP Litigation

Post by SDviaVA » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm

I have a B.S. in Biotechnology and just graduated from law school. Prior to law school I worked for 6 years in the lab in FDA regulated environments in the Biotech Industry.

I will be clerking for a Judge starting in August. However, I am torn as to what jobs I should be focusing on applying to after clerking. Part of me wants to try utilize my FDA/biotech background and pursue job in the FDA and healthcare regulatory law, while part of me wants to pursue IP/patent litigation jobs.

I live close to the FDA and will most likely apply there. I feel the pros of working in this field are that it will utilize my background in biotech but is a career in FDA law a viable option?

I also will probably apply to IP litigation jobs. I feel this will utilize my clerking experience in the courtroom, it seems like it would be exciting, and the pay would be good, but only a very small percentage of cases would involve my background in bio and I feel most of my previous work experience would be wasted.

I realize most of this post is speculative as I would probably take whatever job I am in offered in either of these fields. But as far as focusing on my search, which of these fields would be best to purse given my background? Also, is there a possibility of practicing in both fields, i.e. a patent litigator with a specialty in FDA regulation?

Gold

Re: FDA law or IP Litigation

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Multiple firms are conducting stealth layoffs of IP litigators (Quinn, Wilmer, Weil?). Congress is about to pwn the fuck out of patent trolls with new legislation, and the smartphone wars are ending. The future is not bright at all for IP lit.

Developing a legal practice related to the Affordable Care Act/health care law in general seems like it would have great growth potential going forward.

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Developing a legal practice related to the Affordable Care Act/health care law in general seems like it would have great growth potential going forward.
Not sure how the bold is connected to FDA law?!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 pm

target wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Not sure how the bold is connected to FDA law?!
I didn't say it was. I was suggesting an alternative to IP Litigation or FDA law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”