(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Another

Postby Another » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Re: Quality of Life Rankings

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:50 am

hopkins23 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/the-best-law-firms-to-work-for-2014/

Paul Hastings in the top? I thought they were traditionally known for being meat grinders there. Have things changed?

Traditionally known? You mean, you heard a few people in the TLS echo chamber repeat something, and that becomes traditional knowledge?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

I don't know about Paul Hastings. I've always been a fan of Patterson Belknap though. I think they are a top firm with decent people.
Note: I don't work there! I have friend who do and they seem happy.

My firm will never make the top but they have been great to me.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

kaiser wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/the-best-law-firms-to-work-for-2014/

Paul Hastings in the top? I thought they were traditionally known for being meat grinders there. Have things changed?

Traditionally known? You mean, you heard a few people in the TLS echo chamber repeat something, and that becomes traditional knowledge?

Another

Postby Another » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Am I the only one who thinks these rankings shouldn't be taken that seriously? One year a firm doesn't make the top 25, and then the next year, it's in the top 5. Two years ago, Paul Hastings wasn't even in the top 25, and now it's #1. It doesn't make any sense to think that PH magically came out of nowhere to become the best law firm to work for, in the span of a couple years.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Am I the only one who thinks these rankings shouldn't be taken that seriously? One year a firm doesn't make the top 25, and then the next year, it's in the top 5. Two years ago, Paul Hastings wasn't even in the top 25, and now it's #1. It doesn't make any sense to think that PH magically came out of nowhere to become the best law firm to work for, in the span of a couple years.

No you aren't the only one who doesn't take them seriously. I just think Patterson Belknap is under appreciated. I would never rely on these rankings for anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm

I am a summer at Ropes, and I think there is some truth to the quality of life rankings. People at Ropes (#2 in that ranking) seem to really be satisfied. It doesn't seem to have as brutal of hours as other firms. But generally, yeah, I am skeptical of rankings.

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Am I the only one who thinks these rankings shouldn't be taken that seriously? One year a firm doesn't make the top 25, and then the next year, it's in the top 5. Two years ago, Paul Hastings wasn't even in the top 25, and now it's #1. It doesn't make any sense to think that PH magically came out of nowhere to become the best law firm to work for, in the span of a couple years.

+1

Though they did change their formula this year (added 2 new categories that go into the ranking so that could make sense for last year to this year shift). But with a stable formula, if things shift year to year, there is no reason to believe they have any meaning. Even if they were stable, I'm not sure whether I'd find their formula credible for gauging QoL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm

These vault rankings are completely gamed. If the HR personnel are particularly aggressive, they'll tell you to expect a survey and to remember that the firm takes the survey seriously because it affects reputation. In other words, they're telling you to give the firm HIGH scores.

Think about it, if you're an associate at Firm X and you absolutely hate Firm X, you actually want to make Firm X look as good as possible in these rankings because it elevates Firm X's standing and thus allows you to more easily leave Firm X (due to the enhanced reputation).

The best way to learn something about a Firm is to ask friends or friends of friends. These surveys don't tell you very much.

Alternatively, if you only have the Vault rankings, at least take the time to READ the comments that people submit. Don't just go by the rankings themselves.

Return to “Legal Employment”