Accepting an offer--V10 NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Re: Accepting an offer--V10 NY

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:06 am

Why does it matter? These guys are professionals. They shopped around when deciding who to offer SAs to and if they weren't satisfied with a summer's work they wouldn't offer him. I'd be shocked if they gave a fuck about taking some time to think about it and test the waters. Abusing it -- like knowing you want to accept an offer but leveraging another flight to the city -- might look bad but honest contemplation would not. Maybe some partners are so petty they'd care but I be surprised. First-year associates are essentially fungible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Why does it matter? These guys are professionals. They shopped around when deciding who to offer SAs to and if they weren't satisfied with a summer's work they wouldn't offer him. I'd be shocked if they gave a fuck about taking some time to think about it and test the waters. Abusing it -- like knowing you want to accept an offer but leveraging another flight to the city -- might look bad but honest contemplation would not. Maybe some partners are so petty they'd care but I be surprised. First-year associates are essentially fungible.

Essentially fungible, maybe (but I think it is obvious some will have stronger abilities or work ethic even at that point). Essentially expendable, not really. And this is the important point.

Partners need young associates to do the work to fund the partnership, whether it is in year 1 or years 2-4. The historically preferred way to do that is by trying out individuals through the SA process and then bringing back the ones that have the potential to be able to do billable work for clients. They can hire laterals, but partners will have had little, if any, experience with a lateral prior to their joining the firm. Thus, I argue (and my experience bears this out) that partners do care about whether SAs accept the offers extended to them for the reason that it helps them plan to meet the needs of current clients and gauge their ability to bring in future business.

Borg

Postby Borg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Why does it matter? These guys are professionals. They shopped around when deciding who to offer SAs to and if they weren't satisfied with a summer's work they wouldn't offer him. I'd be shocked if they gave a fuck about taking some time to think about it and test the waters. Abusing it -- like knowing you want to accept an offer but leveraging another flight to the city -- might look bad but honest contemplation would not. Maybe some partners are so petty they'd care but I be surprised. First-year associates are essentially fungible.

Essentially fungible, maybe (but I think it is obvious some will have stronger abilities or work ethic even at that point). Essentially expendable, not really. And this is the important point.

Partners need young associates to do the work to fund the partnership, whether it is in year 1 or years 2-4. The historically preferred way to do that is by trying out individuals through the SA process and then bringing back the ones that have the potential to be able to do billable work for clients. They can hire laterals, but partners will have had little, if any, experience with a lateral prior to their joining the firm. Thus, I argue (and my experience bears this out) that partners do care about whether SAs accept the offers extended to them for the reason that it helps them plan to meet the needs of current clients and gauge their ability to bring in future business.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that someone should accept an offer on the spot like some kind of little K-JD wuss who thinks it's going to disappear or that people will be "mad" if they take a couple of weeks to think on it. People should take time to think on it. It signals inexperience otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Borg wrote:Sure, but that doesn't mean that someone should accept an offer on the spot like some kind of little K-JD wuss who thinks it's going to disappear or that people will be "mad" if they take a couple of weeks to think on it. People should take time to think on it. It signals inexperience otherwise.

I agree, and I did not imply that. There are several threads of discussion that are intermingled in this thread. I was making a point of clarification about the thread related to whether partners generally care or notice whether and SA accepts the firm's offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Borg wrote:Sure, but that doesn't mean that someone should accept an offer on the spot like some kind of little K-JD wuss who thinks it's going to disappear or that people will be "mad" if they take a couple of weeks to think on it. People should take time to think on it. It signals inexperience otherwise.

I agree, and I did not imply that. There are several threads of discussion that are intermingled in this thread. I was making a point of clarification about the thread related to whether partners generally care or notice whether and SA accepts the firm's offer.

I disagree. For those of us who like our firm, with no plans to do 3L OCI, and have thought about this decision for 10 weeks, I fail to understand why accepting an offer on the spot signals inexperience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

I don't think that there is anything wrong with accepting an offer on the spot if you are absolutely sure that you don't want to do 3L OCI, don't have outstanding clerkship applications, are not applying to DOJ Honors or fellowships, etc. I also don't think there's anything wrong with taking a bit to think about accepting or to look at other options. I do think it's worth it to let the firm know that you enjoyed your summer, are enthusiastic about getting an offer, and that you are going to get back to them as soon as you have an answer (this is exactly what I did - I was applying to clerkships, told our recruiting coordinator that I really loved the summer and would touch base with him/her no later than mid-September, and then let him/her know that I had received a clerkship the next business day after I got an offer).

Borg

Postby Borg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I disagree. For those of us who like our firm, with no plans to do 3L OCI, and have thought about this decision for 10 weeks, I fail to understand why accepting an offer on the spot signals inexperience.

It just does. It means you have no desire at all to look at other possibilities or even mull it over with the benefit of some distance. Enthusiastically accepting on the spot is something that people who have been rewarded for shooting their hands up enthusiastically in class their whole lives and have an overwhelming desire to please others do, and it just comes across as an immature response.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Borg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I fail to understand why accepting an offer on the spot signals inexperience.

It just does.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't think accepting an offer after a 10-12 week trial program signals inexperience. It's not a rash decision, you've been working there for a decent amount of time.

This is way different than accepting an SA offer after a CB on the spot.

If you aren't planning on looking for other work, just accept on the spot. Why dick around.

But if you wanna consider options, it's not at all expected that you take your offer on the spot.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Even if accepting on the spot signaled inexperience -- which I highly doubt -- nobody at the firm is even going to see you again for literally over a year, and they will neither remember nor give a shit.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 am

5ky wrote:Even if accepting on the spot signaled inexperience -- which I highly doubt -- nobody at the firm is even going to see you again for literally over a year, and they will neither remember nor give a shit.

That is probably true but no one is going to give a fuck if you wait a few weeks either.

Return to “Legal Employment”