Bidding only Chicago?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bidding only Chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Educational ties to Chicago. Top 30% and secondary journal membership at CCN. 1-2 years WE in an academic field. 1L summer job is in Chicago. I've been told I interview well.

Should I go for broke in Chicago? Or split bids between there and NYC? Any anecdotes from others similarly situated? D.C. is also attractive to me, but I've been advised that landing a CB there is a tall order.

RodneyRuxin

Re: Bidding only Chicago?

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Top 30 at CCN and you're worried about bidding only Chicago?

Bro, calm down.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:34 pm

I'd split NYC/Chi to help guarantee yourself an offer. Chicago, like non-NYC markets in general, can be fickle due to the small class sizes. If you miss out on Sidley/Kirkland the firms that are left don't tend to hire large summer classes.

RodneyRuxin wrote:Top 30 at CCN and you're worried about bidding only Chicago?

Bro, calm down.

It's a reasonable fear.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd split NYC/Chi to help guarantee yourself an offer. Chicago, like non-NYC markets in general, can be fickle due to the small class sizes. If you miss out on Sidley/Kirkland the firms that are left don't tend to hire large summer classes.

Bro, calm down.

It's a reasonable fear.

KdRw19

Postby KdRw19 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd split NYC/Chi to help guarantee yourself an offer. Chicago, like non-NYC markets in general, can be fickle due to the small class sizes. If you miss out on Sidley/Kirkland the firms that are left don't tend to hire large summer classes.

Bro, calm down.

It's a reasonable fear.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate, leads to suffering.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

KdRw19 wrote:

Bro, calm down.

It's a reasonable fear.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate, leads to suffering.

Alting leads to banning.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 pm

I do not think top 30% at CCN, unless I guess UChi, is a guarantee for Chicago. Definitely do NYC/Chi; I doubt anyways that at NYU/Columbia, Chicago firms fill their interview slots that quickly, so you can probably afford to do both.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm

I didn't know anyone at Harvard who was near median had Chicago ties who didn't get multiple Chicago offers. I'd think Top 30% at Columbia or Chicago is golden. That being said how strong are your ties to Chicago. If it's just school then it may be prudent to diversify your bidlist. There are many people from HYSCCN (not to mention other feeder schools) who were born and raised in Chicagoland who are trying to get back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Educational ties to Chicago. Top 30% and secondary journal membership at CCN. 1-2 years WE in an academic field. 1L summer job is in Chicago. I've been told I interview well.

Should I go for broke in Chicago? Or split bids between there and NYC? Any anecdotes from others similarly situated? D.C. is also attractive to me, but I've been advised that landing a CB there is a tall order.

My advice: Bid on Chicago, but also sprinkle in some of the big dogs from NYC. If you're top 30 percent at UChicago, your chances of landing something in Chicago are great. But Chicago is a tough market, and you might get unlucky and miss out on the top Chicago firms. Top firms in NYC are objectively easier to get. So even if you get a firm in Chicago, let's say a Katten or something, it might be nice to have something in NYC to look to, let's say a Cleary or Simpson. Me personally? I would only do Chicago for Kirkland or maybe Sidley, if there were any NYC V15s on the table (disclaimer: I am only interested in transactional work).

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:I didn't know anyone at Harvard who was near median had Chicago ties who didn't get multiple Chicago offers. I'd think Top 30% at Columbia or Chicago is golden. That being said how strong are your ties to Chicago. If it's just school then it may be prudent to diversify your bidlist. There are many people from HYSCCN (not to mention other feeder schools) who were born and raised in Chicagoland who are trying to get back.

I don't know about the rest of Chicago firms, but I thought that Kirkland-Chicago didn't even do OCI at Columbia.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:51 pm

If it's just educational ties and you aren't in Chicago for law school (I assume you aren't because you mention a journal), bid some NYC. Chicago is a weird market for the reasons bk said, and you do not want to strike out because you didn't bid a few NYC firms.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:I didn't know anyone at Harvard who was near median had Chicago ties who didn't get multiple Chicago offers. I'd think Top 30% at Columbia or Chicago is golden. That being said how strong are your ties to Chicago. If it's just school then it may be prudent to diversify your bidlist. There are many people from HYSCCN (not to mention other feeder schools) who were born and raised in Chicagoland who are trying to get back.

I don't know about the rest of Chicago firms, but I thought that Kirkland-Chicago didn't even do OCI at Columbia.

Well that sucks. They do OCI at Illinois but not Columbia.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Sidley-Chicago doesn't either.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:35 am

Woah. I vastly overestimated Columbia/NYU chances at Chicago.

Return to “Legal Employment”