2L grades worse than 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L grades worse than 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 pm

My 1L grades were median (a lot around median, some above, some below), but after I took a leave of absence during my first 2L semester, my second 2L semester grades were all median or below, including a B- in Evidence.

I know 2L grades are traditionally supposed to be higher than 1L grades, so I don't know how to explain this in interviews. Nothing personally devastating happened during that semester, and I didn't study less than I did in 1L year. I did have a pretty nasty cold during exams but I don't know if "I was sick" is really going to fly.

For reference, I'm now slightly below median at CCN, and my initial leave of absence was for personal reasons, but again, nothing devastating like a death in the family or anything like that.

Will I be asked about this grade drop in interviews? If so, is there anything I can really say aside from "I wasn't feeling well that week"?

Anonymous User

Re: 2L grades worse than 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My 1L grades were median (a lot around median, some above, some below), but after I took a leave of absence during my first 2L semester, my second 2L semester grades were all median or below, including a B- in Evidence.

I know 2L grades are traditionally supposed to be higher than 1L grades, so I don't know how to explain this in interviews. Nothing personally devastating happened during that semester, and I didn't study less than I did in 1L year. I did have a pretty nasty cold during exams but I don't know if "I was sick" is really going to fly.

For reference, I'm now slightly below median at CCN, and my initial leave of absence was for personal reasons, but again, nothing devastating like a death in the family or anything like that.

Will I be asked about this grade drop in interviews? If so, is there anything I can really say aside from "I wasn't feeling well that week"?

Did you strike out of OCI / doing 3L OCI, or are you a PI person? Answer probably partially depends on that.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L grades worse than 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My 1L grades were median (a lot around median, some above, some below), but after I took a leave of absence during my first 2L semester, my second 2L semester grades were all median or below, including a B- in Evidence.

Did you strike out of OCI / doing 3L OCI, or are you a PI person? Answer probably partially depends on that.

I took my leave before my school's 2L OCI last fall, so I was told that I am still eligible to participate in the upcoming one. I do have a SA at a non-BigLaw firm this summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”