Atlanta lock-step

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
guano

Atlanta lock-step

Postby guano » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Does anyone know what Atlanta lock-step salary progression looks like?

(Not for me -asking for a friend)

run26.2

Re: Atlanta lock-step

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:59 pm

I don't think there is a true lock-step system in Atlanta. The national IP firms with offices in Atlanta pay above market, i.e. they pay NY market. But Finnegan, e.g., cut comp there a few years back.

There are several tiers, with several firms starting at 145, 130, or 100.

A list of comp at the various firms:
--ImageRemoved--

More on employers' changing of the payscale in 2010:
--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 am

run26.2 wrote:I don't think there is a true lock-step system in Atlanta. The national IP firms with offices in Atlanta pay above market, i.e. they pay NY market. But Finnegan, e.g., cut comp there a few years back.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Outdated info. Alston, e.g., starts at 135. No clue what it looks like after that. JD starts at 150 I think, not sure about the other big firms, K&S might be at 145.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I don't think there is a true lock-step system in Atlanta. The national IP firms with offices in Atlanta pay above market, i.e. they pay NY market. But Finnegan, e.g., cut comp there a few years back.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Outdated info. Alston, e.g., starts at 135. No clue what it looks like after that. JD starts at 150 I think, not sure about the other big firms, K&S might be at 145.

Yeah. I just realized that. I thought it was updated bc Finnegan was back at 160, but I see now that it was from before they lowered the salary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 am

run26.2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Yeah. I just realized that. I thought it was updated bc Finnegan was back at 160, but I see now that it was from before they lowered the salary.

??? Finnegan's still at 160 and the NY lockstep scale, or they were 2 summers ago when I interviewed there. Be interesting if they aren't, Alston and Kilpatrick are at 160 for IP, I assume Fish is and K&S probably is too.

Edit: disregard the above, bar study's breaking my brain and I missed half of both your posts. You ATL IP too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

??? Finnegan's still at 160 and the NY lockstep scale, or they were 2 summers ago when I interviewed there. Be interesting if they aren't, Alston and Kilpatrick are at 160 for IP, I assume Fish is and K&S probably is too.

Edit: disregard the above, bar study's breaking my brain and I missed half of both your posts. You ATL IP too?

I'm pretty confident AB, KT, KS, Fish, Finnegan, DLA are all @ 160 for IP.

Not all of these follow NY lock step though, big disparity between AB/KT/KS and Fish/Finnegan a few years out (I believe)

There are a few just a step down from there, I think Jones Day, Ballard, Paul Hastings are @ 150

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

I am not. I am in SV, but I have friends in the ATL IP market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Outdated info. Alston, e.g., starts at 135. No clue what it looks like after that. JD starts at 150 I think, not sure about the other big firms, K&S might be at 145.

I'm pretty confident AB, KT, KS, Fish, Finnegan, DLA are all @ 160 for IP.

Not all of these follow NY lock step though, big disparity between AB/KT/KS and Fish/Finnegan a few years out (I believe)

There are a few just a step down from there, I think Jones Day, Ballard, Paul Hastings are @ 150
AB follows NYC lockstep for IP. Dunno about the others, I'd assume they would if AB, Fitz, and Fish are doing it, but agree that there'll be a big disparity down the line (a la Texas) at a firm that doesn't follow that scale even if it starts first years at 160.

run26.2 wrote:I am not. I am in SV, but I have friends in the ATL IP market.
Got it. just curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Anyone know if Troutman gives a boost for IP in Atlanta?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Troutman gives a boost for IP in Atlanta?

Yes, Troutman starts at 160 for people with patent bar number. Basically, most of the large firms in Atlanta with patent practices start at 160 for patent. That doesn't mean they all go *up* at the same rate though -- Fish and Finnegan go up more on the NY scale, while Alston, Troutman, etc. go up in smaller increments (e.g., 160 -> 165 -> 170 -> 185) than true NY scale. Kilpatrick is probably in the latter group as well. Ballard is a little lower than the 160 scale. The smaller boutiques are a wildcard...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Does an EE/CS/ME get the boost to 160 in Atlanta even if she litigates (instead of prosecutes)? Thinking of A+B, K&S, KTS, etc...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, Troutman starts at 160 for people with patent bar number. Basically, most of the large firms in Atlanta with patent practices start at 160 for patent. That doesn't mean they all go *up* at the same rate though -- Fish and Finnegan go up more on the NY scale, while Alston, Troutman, etc. go up in smaller increments (e.g., 160 -> 165 -> 170 -> 185) than true NY scale. Kilpatrick is probably in the latter group as well. Ballard is a little lower than the 160 scale. The smaller boutiques are a wildcard...

Does anyone know specifically if other ATL firms like MMM, Sutherland, or MLA follow the IP bump? After looking at NALP for ATL firms, only Fish and Finnegan pay at 160.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does an EE/CS/ME get the boost to 160 in Atlanta even if she litigates (instead of prosecutes)? Thinking of A+B, K&S, KTS, etc...

If you are considered an IP hire, then yes. If you are in the general pool (eg, general lit) then no. If you're interested in IP and qualified, you won't get accidentally pushed in the wrong bucket.

-edit-

As I mentioned below, whether it is 160 or something else depends on firm. Bust most will be paying agove ATL market of $135k.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does anyone know specifically if other ATL firms like MMM, Sutherland, or MLA follow the IP bump? After looking at NALP for ATL firms, only Fish and Finnegan pay at 160.

Some do, some don't.

Many are some variation on the theme, $150k, or $145k+$15k deferred, etc.

Ask the recruiting coordinator after you get the offer. It shouldn't mater before then.

What is more important is the trajectory after the first year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Legal Employment”