How selective is Covington and WilmerHale DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How selective is Covington and WilmerHale DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Does someone at ~top 30% at HYS have a realistic chance?

Anonymous User

Re: How selective is Covington and WilmerHale DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Not sure. At P Covington is top 10-15% on Symplicity and Wilmer provides an utterly unhelpful "above 3.0" in their Hiring Criteria. It's not inconceivable for their cutoffs at H to be around top 25-30%.

kingjoffrey

Postby kingjoffrey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Unfortunately, pretty selective.
~30% from my (non HYS) T14 wouldn't cut it for sure, but at HYS you're possibly not locked out. But you would probably need some plus factors - i.e. LR, WE, great interviewing ability/fit (and maybe some luck!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does someone at ~top 30% at HYS have a realistic chance?

I assume you're not at Y, where it's difficult to determine who's in the top 30% based on one semester of grades. But if you are, my sense from last year was that both of those firms were quite competitive but are largely focused on "softs" (past work experience, DC ties). I know folks who got callbacks at those firms with 1P/2H, certainly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Top 10%, lower T14 - screened with both, no callbacks.

My bet is that you have a shot at top 1/3 but it's not a great one. DC is a tough city to get an offer or even a callback. Don't get your hopes pinned on 2 firms. I'd even say don't get your hopes pinned on DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:24 pm

They are selective but they don't have automatic cut offs based on my experience

I was around top 20% at lower end T14 and had a CB, no offer. But knew of someone top 33% at same school who got CB/offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 pm

At H, it sounds like they both have a soft floor at 5 Hs according to OCS. If you're over that threshold (or whatever the comparable level is at YS I would guess), you definitely have a chance but it becomes a lot more about your work experience, DC ties, interview skills/fit, practice area interests, law review, etc.

A lot of people seem to harp on how grade selective the top DC firms are, and while that seems to be true to a certain extent, from conversations with recruiters I think once you're over their target the grades matter a lot less than people think they do (at least for YHS).

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:33 pm

FWIW, covington has taken two people from my school the past two years (not this summer though), and my school is not close to t14 by any means. But then again, they were ranked #1 and #2 in the class.

Return to “Legal Employment”