Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:26 am

FML - SHOULD HAVE GONE TO CCN

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:38 pm

shit shit shit! Can't motivate myself to study, too depressed about the summer and beyond.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Lots of CCN folks without jobs, sadly.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Anybody get anything during winter break or any time recently? Break was a nice distraction, but the new semester and now this snow day is bringing back the helpless and depressed feeling of being unemployed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody get anything during winter break or any time recently? Break was a nice distraction, but the new semester and now this snow day is bringing back the helpless and depressed feeling of being unemployed.

Same boat. :( Applied over break but not nearly to as many places as I wanted to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 pm

I don't even know where to apply to anymore, I think I covered everything. Maybe CP&P will help. LMFAO

pennpennpenn

Postby pennpennpenn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:17 pm

YUP IM FEELING SILENCE TOO.

Summer coming up with no job, and we've got to suffer through all of our colleagues who wont shut up about their great jobs. I dont think our year got the notice about collegiality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Still no summer internship at the moment.

I'm applying to all geographic locations and still radio silence. I've set up a bunch of informational interview and networking stuff with alumns or anybody I come across, but usually their advice just boils down to "uh...well you should get a summer internship asap."
It really sucks because I have to keep my grades up AND do all this job search stuff. With finals right around the corner, I'm not exactly sure how long I can keep this up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:59 am

I know of someone who just got Mckinsey and another who got a callback in a decent market. There is hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Stop raising false hope. Mckinsey is not a law firm and they have a whole different timetable then biglaw, plus the offer is like in Cleveland or something. Didn't hear about the callback, what firm range, market?

And big kudos to CP&P for being on top of their game. They send us so many opportunities its hard to choose what to apply to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am

FUCK THIS SCHOOL! 150K IN DEBT! CP&P SUCKS!!!!! THEY DONT CARE! DONT GO HERE!

AmericanHustle

Postby AmericanHustle » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:19 pm

As a current 1L who is far from the top of the class and also taking out well over $150k in debt, I am probably going to be in the same shoes as the people posting here, 6 months from now.

That being said, idk why you people think bitching about the school in an internet forum in a thread very few people, outside of current Penn students, are going to read, is in any way helpful to you or anyone else.

If you guys struck out (and I really do feel for you), you're the ones who chose not to drop out before the end of last semester and have been stuck with only 1 year's worth of debt. You can still drop out now. So, you've apparently done a CBA that it's still worth it to stay at Penn.

My point here is that instead of bitching in internet chatrooms that make Penn students seem like a bunch of whining pussies, take responsibility for where you are and accept that you are the ones that chose to go here, and the ones that chose to stay, and do something more productive than this bullshit. I believe everything you're saying in here but c'mon, did you really expect Gary Clinton or CPP to give a shit? Law school is a business and now you're making Penn students look not only like pussies but naive pussies. LST and TLS, and numerous other informative sources have been around long enough we all knew what we were getting into before we even started down this path.

Again I say this as someone who is likely to be in your spot in 6 months. But I sure as hell won't be bitching in an internet chatroom uselessly, and if I choose to not drop out before 2L first semester finals that $150k, $200k, etc. debt is on me at least as much as it is on the school.

P.S. Never understood why people need to use the anonymous feature if they aren't posting their bid list, class rank, job offer, etc. Even then why don't you people just use an alt profile for your jobs related posting, then the rest of us could tell how many unique users there are in here (as TLS would ban you for using a bunch of alts to repost/alt abuse). If you really wanted to deter ppl from attending Penn and show how many unemployed of you there are, maybe you guys would think that through a little more because right now it just seems like the same one or two people posting their complaints. If you guys really gave a shit about getting the word out, join the admitted students welcoming committee, be a Morris fellow, get on jobs panels for 1Ls, etc. and show that it's far from all sunshine and rainbows even at a school as prestigious as ours, and don't let CPP spew that "everyone gets great jobs" BS they've been telling us all since Admitted Students week. For once I wish at least one of you would have the courage to get up on the jobs panel or the welcoming committee so that we aren't being misguided by CPP that displays the damn law review people on the jobs panel every year who have clerkships or prestigious firms and are set. If I'm in your shoes and chose to stay, you better believe I'll try and do a hell of a lot more than the pointless BS you're pulling now.

/end rant

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:10 am

AmericanHustle wrote:As a current 1L who is far from the top of the class and also taking out well over $150k in debt, I am probably going to be in the same shoes as the people posting here, 6 months from now.

That being said, idk why you people think bitching about the school in an internet forum in a thread very few people, outside of current Penn students, are going to read, is in any way helpful to you or anyone else.

If you guys struck out (and I really do feel for you), you're the ones who chose not to drop out before the end of last semester and have been stuck with only 1 year's worth of debt. You can still drop out now. So, you've apparently done a CBA that it's still worth it to stay at Penn.

My point here is that instead of bitching in internet chatrooms that make Penn students seem like a bunch of whining pussies, take responsibility for where you are and accept that you are the ones that chose to go here, and the ones that chose to stay, and do something more productive than this bullshit. I believe everything you're saying in here but c'mon, did you really expect Gary Clinton or CPP to give a shit? Law school is a business and now you're making Penn students look not only like pussies but naive pussies. LST and TLS, and numerous other informative sources have been around long enough we all knew what we were getting into before we even started down this path.

Again I say this as someone who is likely to be in your spot in 6 months. But I sure as hell won't be bitching in an internet chatroom uselessly, and if I choose to not drop out before 2L first semester finals that $150k, $200k, etc. debt is on me at least as much as it is on the school.

P.S. Never understood why people need to use the anonymous feature if they aren't posting their bid list, class rank, job offer, etc. Even then why don't you people just use an alt profile for your jobs related posting, then the rest of us could tell how many unique users there are in here (as TLS would ban you for using a bunch of alts to repost/alt abuse). If you really wanted to deter ppl from attending Penn and show how many unemployed of you there are, maybe you guys would think that through a little more because right now it just seems like the same one or two people posting their complaints. If you guys really gave a shit about getting the word out, join the admitted students welcoming committee, be a Morris fellow, get on jobs panels for 1Ls, etc. and show that it's far from all sunshine and rainbows even at a school as prestigious as ours, and don't let CPP spew that "everyone gets great jobs" BS they've been telling us all since Admitted Students week. For once I wish at least one of you would have the courage to get up on the jobs panel or the welcoming committee so that we aren't being misguided by CPP that displays the damn law review people on the jobs panel every year who have clerkships or prestigious firms and are set. If I'm in your shoes and chose to stay, you better believe I'll try and do a hell of a lot more than the pointless BS you're pulling now.

/end rant

Hello Mr.1l,

1. I should probably show you the door as this is clearly a class of 2015 thread, but I won't because really who the hell cares.
2. Your not in our shoes yet so you can have no idea what it is like. You can try to imagine and prepare yourself for it, but you are clueless until you are in this position.
3. Did you ever think for one second that maybe the reason we bitch on these boards is for OURSELVES! At the end of a shitty day when were sick and tired of our classes, colleagues, professors, outgoing and incoming deans, and of course CP&P, we go onto a blog once in a while and blow off a little steam. I apologize in advance for this but guess what my special little snowflake, we might not be doing it for the precious 1ls or 0ls that we care so deeply about. Were doing it because it might make us feel a teeny-tiny bit better. And if it does, well then its worth it, because not much else does.

4. As for your P.S. I say this to you: ARE YOU NUTS?! You think they send out a mass email to the class asking them to be on the job panel or welcoming committee. Oh poor child, how naive you are. They send out those invitation to a few select ones that usually are on law review, got multiple V10 offers and have a prestigious clerkship.
Hell at our pre-OCI panel, they had some gunner who did 35 callbacks and 15 offers or some shit like that. Funny when the average is probably like 3 cbs. When you're in our shoes you become part of the untouchables, the only emails we get are those annoying "sidebar specials" 4 times a day.

POTUS2044

Postby POTUS2044 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AmericanHustle wrote: ...

Hello Mr.1l,

1. I should probably show you the door as this is clearly a class of 2015 thread, but I won't because really who the hell cares.
2. Your not in our shoes yet so you can have no idea what it is like. You can try to imagine and prepare yourself for it, but you are clueless until you are in this position.
3. Did you ever think for one second that maybe the reason we bitch on these boards is for OURSELVES! At the end of a shitty day when were sick and tired of our classes, colleagues, professors, outgoing and incoming deans, and of course CP&P, we go onto a blog once in a while and blow off a little steam. I apologize in advance for this but guess what my special little snowflake, we might not be doing it for the precious 1ls or 0ls that we care so deeply about. Were doing it because it might make us feel a teeny-tiny bit better. And if it does, well then its worth it, because not much else does.

4. As for your P.S. I say this to you: ARE YOU NUTS?! You think they send out a mass email to the class asking them to be on the job panel or welcoming committee. Oh poor child, how naive you are. They send out those invitation to a few select ones that usually are on law review, got multiple V10 offers and have a prestigious clerkship.
Hell at our pre-OCI panel, they had some gunner who did 35 callbacks and 15 offers or some shit like that. Funny when the average is probably like 3 cbs. When you're in our shoes you become part of the untouchables, the only emails we get are those annoying "sidebar specials" 4 times a day.

Also 1L here, but I don't think I can really be sidetracking 2014 OCI talk at this point... Rants aside, it's true that its impossible to tell how many 2Ls are even posting in this thread. I'd be curious to know, since my guess would be like 3 different anons that struck out over the past few pages, particularly since I don't think many people from Penn post on TLS anyways

I've also been to a SHITLOAD of panels/discussions since being here and never heard someone talk about striking out (I think I only know 1 person, I think anyways.) I understand its not why you guys post in this thread, but at time it would be really great to hear that perspective, particularly as a 1L. whether the problem was studying too much and being shitty in interviews, lack of passion for law, not studying enough, feel like you don't fit in with the culture, bidding badly, lack of work experience, something else etc... And if a year later you ultimately end up in a PI/govt track who would really give a shit you struck out on firms since you're ultimately in the same spot as the people that didn't even do OCI at all.

I guess my only point is that this website makes it seem like a significant amount of people are unhappy or whatever, and if that's true your voice is definitely missing off of the internet.. Anytime you ask in person and you hear nothing except oh you'll be fine or whatever

dead head

Postby dead head » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 am

POTUS2044 wrote:I've also been to a SHITLOAD of panels/discussions since being here and never heard someone talk about striking out (I think I only know 1 person, I think anyways.)

People usually don't run around telling everyone how they struck out, have nothing lined up, or otherwise did poorly. They especially don't get invited to panels, which tend to be carefully selected to make prospects seem rosy. In fact, these top-stacked panels consisting almost exclusively of the best students at the most prestigious jobs are part of the reason why you won't hear people talking about how they're struggling: when you've been conditioned by these panels to think that success means federal clerkships, V10 associateships, etc., you will feel especially bad if you underperform, and much less likely to share that information as compared to schools where the expectations aren't so high.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:You think they send out a mass email to the class asking them to be on the job panel or welcoming committee.

Actually, anybody can be on PAC.

Anonymous User wrote:They send out those invitation to a few select ones that usually are on law review, got multiple V10 offers and have a prestigious clerkship.

There's usually a diverse array of folks on employment panels, so, no.

Anonymous User wrote:Hell at our pre-OCI panel, they had some gunner who did 35 callbacks and 15 offers or some shit like that. Funny when the average is probably like 3 cbs.

I know who that was, and, while your numbers are exaggerated, he did have a ton. However, he did not have great grades (they were solid), was not on law review (anecdotal data suggests law review doesn't even fucking matter unless you wrote-on or for clerkships) or some amazing 1L summer job. He just set up a really safe bidlist in a variety of cities and interviews well. That's why he was on the panel.

I cannot speak to anyone's stress or have advice of my own for 2Ls, but, 1Ls, your best defense against any of this is to set up the largest, safest bidlist possible. Interested in DC? Chicago? California? Make sure you still interview with 15+ NYC firms. Having a job in a city you don't want to be in is better than no job. There's no reason to have less than 25 screening interviews. Is it foolproof? Nothing is, but it's the best defense.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Penn Bull's advice is spot on. Unless you are sitting on great grades AND solid ties, NYC should be your primary OCI market if your goal is to avoid being in this position.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:11 am

Disclaimer, Not a Penn student but please don't shout me out quite yet.

Just FYI, for the 1Ls really concerned about the lack of voice of disenchanted upperclassmen, maybe you could try a student run panel? We had an OCI (EIP) panel at our school staged entirely by students, not career services, about a week after the official EIP orientation (which was a very rosy affair). On that panel there were students who were part of that ~10% who completely struck out at EIP, who wouldn't normally be selected by the school. One guy talked about his job search process after striking out and it was an interesting perspective. The event was pretty well attended. Idk, just a thought.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:47 am

jbagelboy wrote:Disclaimer, Not a Penn student but please don't shout me out quite yet.

Just FYI, for the 1Ls really concerned about the lack of voice of disenchanted upperclassmen, maybe you could try a student run panel? We had an OCI (EIP) panel at our school staged entirely by students, not career services, about a week after the official EIP orientation (which was a very rosy affair). On that panel there were students who were part of that ~10% who completely struck out at EIP, who wouldn't normally be selected by the school. One guy talked about his job search process after striking out and it was an interesting perspective. The event was pretty well attended. Idk, just a thought.

This would be an interesting idea. I just don't know if students who struck out at Penn would want to face some imagined public stigma that they "missed out"--particularly because Penn is supposed to be a super safe school in re: law firm employment. I know everyone in my class (3L) who struck out and I think every last one of them would be willing to say what they did wrong/wish they did better, but that's because their immediate friends didn't stigmatize them for it. I can't speak to the other folks in this thread facing a similar situation. I'd like to think they keep the Penn culture alive on that front, but I'm not in their class to experience it firsthand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:15 pm

I struck out. I haven't posted in this thread since October or so, but I'd just like to say that there is absolutely no way that 1Ls can understand what it feels like to be in this position. I don't come on here and complain, but I also couldn't even tell you when or where these panels are being held, let alone how to track one down so I can secure my spot on one to get the good word out. Come on dude. The reality is that I'm too busy busting my ass twice as hard as I ever did during 1L to have some chance at getting out of this situation. I've been so busy that I barely have any contact at all with my best friends and family--you think I have enough effort to spare to immerse myself into the 'Penn Law 1L Advice-Giving Community Panel and Open Discussion - THIS TUESDAY AT 12:30 IN GITT01 - FREE FOOD PROVIDED' scene?

Bitter sarcasm aside, being in a position like this is most likely the most stressful, depressing, and lowest point that many of us who have found ourselves here have ever faced. I know that is certainly the case for me. I don't really immerse myself in the law school, and I certainly am not in a mindset where seeking some constructive, philanthropic outlet to turn the source of my daily depression into a talking point for 1Ls to learn from is a priority. On the contrary, I view the law school in very narrow terms these days--I show up, shut up, attend my lecture, and get the hell out so I can go home and get my work done. Being there doesn't quite give me the warm and fuzzies. The "Penn Law Community" isn't even on my radar in any way whatsoever. I would venture a guess that most of the people who struck out are of a similar opinion, and so it's not quite realistic to expect there to be some contingent of 2Ls in this position who are looking for opportunities to give advice to you through the formal channels that "community" offers to 1Ls, even if there is some free pizza afterward.

Most fundamentally, I think, it should be noted very clearly that the dialog happening in this thread these days is in no way intended to be some sort of useful exchange of information, especially not for 1Ls. That assumption might explain your confusion. But that doesn't mean it isn't helpful. Like I said, I don't regularly post here and haven't done so in many months, but it's completely understandable to me why people do. Some people really find it helpful to have a medium like this to express their frustrations without any adverse consequences or judgement. Of course, that explains the use of the anon feature as well.

Finally, as a token of goodwill in the hopes of offsetting the undertone of hostility in this post, I will offer to the 1Ls lurking here that a safe bidding strategy is your absolute best technique for success. My grades were in no way a hindrance and my interviews went well--in some cases very well--but I focused on a very tight market. If you value a biglaw job--NYC or bust. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:30 pm

Disclaimer, also not a Penn student, T10 transfer here. Very nearly struck out myself, woefully underperformed my resume based on interview skills, 0 callbacks through OCI, but scored 2 secondary market offers through mass-mail. 1Ls, bid NYC and mass mail like hell starting in late July. Mail all secondaries you have ties to or within a few hours of where you have ties to, and mail all markets reasonably close to Penn (i.e. Washington to New York and everything in between). Also, interview skills are imperative and practice them like crazy.

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out. I haven't posted in this thread since October or so, but I'd just like to say that there is absolutely no way that 1Ls can understand what it feels like to be in this position. I don't come on here and complain, but I also couldn't even tell you when or where these panels are being held, let alone how to track one down so I can secure my spot on one to get the good word out. Come on dude. The reality is that I'm too busy busting my ass twice as hard as I ever did during 1L to have some chance at getting out of this situation. I've been so busy that I barely have any contact at all with my best friends and family--you think I have enough effort to spare to immerse myself into the 'Penn Law 1L Advice-Giving Community Panel and Open Discussion - THIS TUESDAY AT 12:30 IN GITT01 - FREE FOOD PROVIDED' scene?

Bitter sarcasm aside, being in a position like this is most likely the most stressful, depressing, and lowest point that many of us who have found ourselves here have ever faced. I know that is certainly the case for me. I don't really immerse myself in the law school, and I certainly am not in a mindset where seeking some constructive, philanthropic outlet to turn the source of my daily depression into a talking point for 1Ls to learn from is a priority. On the contrary, I view the law school in very narrow terms these days--I show up, shut up, attend my lecture, and get the hell out so I can go home and get my work done. Being there doesn't quite give me the warm and fuzzies. The "Penn Law Community" isn't even on my radar in any way whatsoever. I would venture a guess that most of the people who struck out are of a similar opinion, and so it's not quite realistic to expect there to be some contingent of 2Ls in this position who are looking for opportunities to give advice to you through the formal channels that "community" offers to 1Ls, even if there is some free pizza afterward.

Most fundamentally, I think, it should be noted very clearly that the dialog happening in this thread these days is in no way intended to be some sort of useful exchange of information, especially not for 1Ls. That assumption might explain your confusion. But that doesn't mean it isn't helpful. Like I said, I don't regularly post here and haven't done so in many months, but it's completely understandable to me why people do. Some people really find it helpful to have a medium like this to express their frustrations without any adverse consequences or judgement. Of course, that explains the use of the anon feature as well.

Finally, as a token of goodwill in the hopes of offsetting the undertone of hostility in this post, I will offer to the 1Ls lurking here that a safe bidding strategy is your absolute best technique for success. My grades were in no way a hindrance and my interviews went well--in some cases very well--but I focused on a very tight market. If you value a biglaw job--NYC or bust. Good luck.

I'm in a similar position at Penn and empathize. The process is not even close to as merit-based as 1Ls are told. Would you please PM me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out. I haven't posted in this thread since October or so, but I'd just like to say that there is absolutely no way that 1Ls can understand what it feels like to be in this position. I don't come on here and complain, but I also couldn't even tell you when or where these panels are being held, let alone how to track one down so I can secure my spot on one to get the good word out. Come on dude. The reality is that I'm too busy busting my ass twice as hard as I ever did during 1L to have some chance at getting out of this situation. I've been so busy that I barely have any contact at all with my best friends and family--you think I have enough effort to spare to immerse myself into the 'Penn Law 1L Advice-Giving Community Panel and Open Discussion - THIS TUESDAY AT 12:30 IN GITT01 - FREE FOOD PROVIDED' scene?

Big (Law) +1 to tall of the above!

2L here too: Struck out, decent grades, good interviewing skills, interviews went well, and bid all NYC and conservatively. Point is you can do all the of the above and still strike out, it will happen. That is expected. But what I found shocking is the utter helplessness after that. CP&P, colleagues, professors, friends, networking connections all turn out to be totally useless. You strike out at Penn - you are screwed!

So here is my advice: Obviously do all you can not to strike out. BUT some of you will, and then next year of your life will be the worst one yet. You will hate school, hate your over-employed friends, and most of all hate your loans and financial situation. Yet you have to keep on going, even while thoughts of dropping out (of school, or life) pop into your head.

Basically your life will suck and the worst part is that 95% of the people you spend your day with - will be at a great place in their lives and be so fucking cheerful and perky. So get new friends - Trust me the whole collegiality thing is bullshit anyway. Your best friend at school will stab you in the back if it helps him or her advance.

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Big (Law) +1 to tall of the above!

2L here too: Struck out, decent grades, good interviewing skills, interviews went well, and bid all NYC and conservatively. Point is you can do all the of the above and still strike out, it will happen. That is expected. But what I found shocking is the utter helplessness after that. CP&P, colleagues, professors, friends, networking connections all turn out to be totally useless. You strike out at Penn - you are screwed!

So here is my advice: Obviously do all you can not to strike out. BUT some of you will, and then next year of your life will be the worst one yet. You will hate school, hate your over-employed friends, and most of all hate your loans and financial situation. Yet you have to keep on going, even while thoughts of dropping out (of school, or life) pop into your head.

Basically your life will suck and the worst part is that 95% of the people you spend your day with - will be at a great place in their lives and be so fucking cheerful and perky. So get new friends - Trust me the whole collegiality thing is bullshit anyway. Your best friend at school will stab you in the back if it helps him or her advance.

I mostly agree. You should also PM me.

Return to “Legal Employment”