Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 pm

So instead of BigLaw I can work at the ACLU of NC. Whoopee

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So instead of BigLaw I can work at the ACLU of NC. Whoopee

tbh as someone who's still looking for something to do this summer, I'd probably be much happier working at the ACLU or whatever than biglaw. Its actually getting paid for my employment thats what worries me! I'm sure everything will work out though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So instead of BigLaw I can work at the ACLU of NC. Whoopee

tbh as someone who's still looking for something to do this summer, I'd probably be much happier working at the ACLU or whatever than biglaw. Its actually getting paid for my employment thats what worries me! I'm sure everything will work out though.

Thats what I mean, I did an unpaid internship last summer already. At the end of this year I will have spent 100k+ in tuition, and yet still only able to get unpaid internships. Pretty depressing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Studying for finals as a 2l without a job. This might be the lowest and worst experience of my life.

There I said it. At P with no job, good grades, tons of debt, and fed up with the system. No body cares at this school! Why is it not a concentration of the faculty, deans, and other resources to help us find jobs?! They just ignore it. Set up meetings with us and Dean Fitts lets see how many of us there are. Narrow down to market and firms, have some influential people at the school and alumni make some calls.
Not only is my life ruined, I still paying 50k+ a year to you! Do something for me!

I don't know how it works at other schools, but to all potential student to the esteemed institution, If you don't get a job through OCI you are screwed! Sure enough people get through OCI, and thats why the school doesn't care. Their numbers are strong enough from OCI, they don't give a shit about those that do not get a job.

So before you make the election to throw good money and your life away at this school ask yourself at what odds would you gamble away you financial life. If the 60% figure is enough for you then by all means. If not - take the scholarship at the T20. No debt plus a JD from a fine school unemployed, is a whole lot better then 300k in debt from Penn and unemployed.

I really don't understand how we did not receive one email from anyone on the faculty saying we understand your pain and lets put a plan together to work out a solution. As for CPP they are very concerned about putting together their lunch order, giving a shit about students not so much.

A very frustrated P student.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:28 pm

The lore that all P students are fine by graduation is bullshit too. I know plenty of grads who are working for shitlaw firms, Insurance Defense, bullshit fellowships etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Studying for finals as a 2l without a job. This might be the lowest and worst experience of my life.

There I said it. At P with no job, good grades, tons of debt, and fed up with the system. No body cares at this school! Why is it not a concentration of the faculty, deans, and other resources to help us find jobs?! They just ignore it. Set up meetings with us and Dean Fitts lets see how many of us there are. Narrow down to market and firms, have some influential people at the school and alumni make some calls.
Not only is my life ruined, I still paying 50k+ a year to you! Do something for me!

I don't know how it works at other schools, but to all potential student to the esteemed institution, If you don't get a job through OCI you are screwed! Sure enough people get through OCI, and thats why the school doesn't care. Their numbers are strong enough from OCI, they don't give a shit about those that do not get a job.

So before you make the election to throw good money and your life away at this school ask yourself at what odds would you gamble away you financial life. If the 60% figure is enough for you then by all means. If not - take the scholarship at the T20. No debt plus a JD from a fine school unemployed, is a whole lot better then 300k in debt from Penn and unemployed.

I really don't understand how we did not receive one email from anyone on the faculty saying we understand your pain and lets put a plan together to work out a solution. As for CPP they are very concerned about putting together their lunch order, giving a shit about students not so much.

With you on all points.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Studying for finals as a 2l without a job. This might be the lowest and worst experience of my life.

With you on all points.

+1

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I got my friend's symplicity login from a peer school and found a couple of paid opportunities. One of them looks really competitive so maybe your grades will help. Drop me a private message with your email if this interests you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:44 pm

The Admiral wrote:

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I got my friend's symplicity login from a peer school and found a couple of paid opportunities. One of them looks really competitive so maybe your grades will help. Drop me a private message with your email if this interests you.

Thats most helpful anyone has been in Penn with regards to a job search (even though it has only been on Penn's forum, its alot more then has been going on in the law school)

Neff

Postby Neff » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Neff wrote:throughout this thread you've been misusing then/than, alot (which isn't a word)/a lot, apostrophes, commas, etc.

"Throughout this thread" several different people have been using the anonymous posting function, so you're pretty much just attacking a shitload of Penn students for no reason. So, thanks for that. I'm sure a lot of people gained a lot of benefit from your wisdom.

Neff wrote:If you go to Penn (which is a way better school than the one I go to)

If you don't go to Penn, show yourself out.

Neff

Postby Neff » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:55 pm

Neff wrote:I'm not here to troll. I noticed one anon in this thread consistently confusing then/than. I assumed it's the same person because I'm pretty sure not everyone at your school would confuse then/than like that. I pointed it out in the most polite way I can think of: namely, you have to watch out for typos when you write to employers.

Pointing out grammar/spelling on the Internet gets a bad rap for a good reason. I know what I just did could be reasonably construed as something douchey. It's like telling some dude his fly is undone. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I know I don't go to Penn. I didn't mean to insult your institution. I'm just someone from the outside who earlier was encouraging you all and saying not all is lost and that the situation might not be as bleak as some of you make it out to be. If that's overstepping a line, I'm sorry and I'm not going to post here any more.

PennBull wrote:
Neff wrote:throughout this thread you've been misusing then/than, alot (which isn't a word)/a lot, apostrophes, commas, etc.

"Throughout this thread" several different people have been using the anonymous posting function, so you're pretty much just attacking a shitload of Penn students for no reason. So, thanks for that. I'm sure a lot of people gained a lot of benefit from your wisdom.

Neff wrote:If you go to Penn (which is a way better school than the one I go to)

I can't speak for everyone that has been posting, but my posts are typed on my iPhone usually while I'm walking back and forth from school or something of the sort. But I do truly apologize for any and all grammatical and spelling mistakes that might have offended you. If I knew that you spent most of your time reading this blog, I would have wasted more time writing correctly and honestly would have tried to be even more entertaining.

You mean I should spend more time on my communications with law firms then I do with posting on a blog?! Wow I am lucky that you posted here tonight! Hell, we will probably all have jobs by the morning!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Neff wrote:I'm not here to troll. I noticed one anon in this thread consistently confusing then/than. I assumed it's the same person because I'm pretty sure not everyone at your school would confuse then/than like that. I pointed it out in the most polite way I can think of: namely, you have to watch out for typos when you write to employers.

Pointing out grammar/spelling on the Internet gets a bad rap for a good reason. I know what I just did could be reasonably construed as something douchey. It's like telling some dude his fly is undone. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I know I don't go to Penn. I didn't mean to insult your institution. I'm just someone from the outside who earlier was encouraging you all and saying not all is lost and that the situation might not be as bleak as some of you make it out to be. If that's overstepping a line, I'm sorry and I'm not going to post here any more.

PennBull wrote:

I can't speak for everyone that has been posting, but my posts are typed on my iPhone usually while I'm walking back and forth from school or something of the sort. But I do truly apologize for any and all grammatical and spelling mistakes that might have offended you. If I knew that you spent most of your time reading this blog, I would have wasted more time writing correctly and honestly would have tried to be even more entertaining.

You mean I should spend more time on my communications with law firms then I do with posting on a blog?! Wow I am lucky that you posted here tonight! Hell, we will probably all have jobs by the morning!

Nope still no job - thanks for trying though Mr. Neff

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm

PennBull wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 pm

So simplicity has 1l SA posting but not 2l. Should I try to apply to the 1l positions? Does it hurt to send applications?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So simplicity has 1l SA posting but not 2l. Should I try to apply to the 1l positions? Does it hurt to send applications?

It doesn't hurt to ask the recruiter at the firm if you can. I wouldn't just send an application without talking to them first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:10 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So simplicity has 1l SA posting but not 2l. Should I try to apply to the 1l positions? Does it hurt to send applications?

It doesn't hurt to ask the recruiter at the firm if you can. I wouldn't just send an application without talking to them first.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Lmao just had a class on the meaning of success.. being jobless is hard enough without being subjected to verbal masturbation

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lmao just had a class on the meaning of success.. being jobless is hard enough without being subjected to verbal masturbation

Was this a Wharton class? Sounds like Wharton horseshit

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:30 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lmao just had a class on the meaning of success.. being jobless is hard enough without being subjected to verbal masturbation

Was this a Wharton class? Sounds like Wharton horseshit

Yeah, it was that Certificate in Management class. Accompanied by a genuine self-help book. Though I did think it was good perspective and somewhat helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 am

2:30 AM. Trying to learn a course from scratch because I spent all semester trying (unsuccessfully) to get a job. If this is not the mean of success then I dont know know what is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Penn was the only Ivy school that accepted me (I did not attend mainly because the tuition discount was a bit scant, plus I prefer the west coast). Given that Penn rocked the BL stats last year, I have often questioned my decision. Just wondering how things turned out this year. Did most everyone get his or her OCI dream job in NY, DC or Philly?

royilae

Postby royilae » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Penn was the only Ivy school that accepted me (I did not attend mainly because the tuition discount was a bit scant, plus I prefer the west coast). Given that Penn rocked the BL stats last year, I have often questioned my decision. Just wondering how things turned out this year. Did most everyone get his or her OCI dream job in NY, DC or Philly?

No offense, but did you read the last 15 pages of this thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Penn was the only Ivy school that accepted me (I did not attend mainly because the tuition discount was a bit scant, plus I prefer the west coast). Given that Penn rocked the BL stats last year, I have often questioned my decision. Just wondering how things turned out this year. Did most everyone get his or her OCI dream job in NY, DC or Philly?

HAHA! I needed this laugh today - Thank you!

Return to “Legal Employment”