Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Philly big law firm? WAY OVER.

Maybe some small or midsize ones but i haven't heard or seen anything about this.

Yep. That boat has long sailed. However, today I noticed that the new USNWR ranking just came out and spotlighted numerous [mainly] local Philly firms. In a quick check I saw that these local Philly firms have attracted associates from all over (Chicago, Syracuse, Boston, Atlanta, etc., etc.). My point, given their preeminent status, perhaps some of these local firms might consider those who are still looking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Can you post a link or a database?

Sad that there is a whole office of CPP that Should be doing this. But to be fair they are very busy with important things like reviewing 1l resumes for Thier very important internships.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you post a link or a database?

Sad that there is a whole office of CPP that Should be doing this. But to be fair they are very busy with important things like reviewing 1l resumes for Thier very important internships.

Bro CP&P has databases of mid-sized firms. They're on the website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Nelson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can you post a link or a database?

Bro CP&P has databases of mid-sized firms. They're on the website.

Sure outdated useless list. The New York database was huge - there was everything from biglaw to shitlaw on that list. A lot of the firms didn't hire summer associates and or not in NY office. One basically had to search all the firms by himself.

As someone who has been on the CPP website and meeting with them for months now, I know exactly what they do and do not offer. What I have found is basically nothing they offer is helpful. (With the exception of one woman in the office, I often get the impression that they don't care very much about your unemployment,) If your job is to help us find jobs then update the databases so they are neat clear lists with relevant information. Not something that lists every firm in NYC with info from years ago.

Mr.Nelson from the sound of your posts it sounds like you had a 2l SA job and got it without much pain. If so your looking at CPP from a whole different view. As someone who needs them badly I can tell you I am fed-up and disgruntled. I am not the only one who thinks, seems to be the common impression on this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 am

Got my final cb rejection today!
So inspired to go out and study for finals now!
FML

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got my final cb rejection today!
So inspired to go out and study for finals now!
FML

Damn, it took THIS long to hear back? What firm, if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 am

Rather not say which firm, people know I have been waiting on them.

It was not from OCI it was from mass mailing although the CB was over a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rather not say which firm, people know I have been waiting on them.

It was not from OCI it was from mass mailing although the CB was over a month ago.

Do top business schools also have this issue of people not getting jobs or is this a law school issue? Are there people at Wharton that are unemployed too? I just cant fathom how a top LAW school like ours producing so many students that will either be unemployed or underemployed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who is median at Penn I have deep regrets about choosing P. Anyone that gets into P has some pretty good scholarships at T20. The P name is not enough to get you a good job. The elite firms are cutting Thier classes and HYS and CCN are fighting for all the same jobs. It can hurt you with lower ranked and philly firms. If you go to a lower school an do really well you will get a job. If you end up at median you will be in the same place with no job just with no or little debt.

Also one bad grade at penn can sink you forever. The curve is pretty harsh 1l. As someone with all good grades and one bad one, it totally ruined me.

Plenty of median students got jobs, myself being one of them (with a "bad grade" on my transcript nonetheless). Many top students did not get jobs. To say you will get a job if you go to a lower school and do really well is both wrong and presumptuous - you're likely not going to do much better at a T20 than you did at P, even if you do really well at the T20 and so-so at P. Go read the OCI threads for Vanderbilt or Fordham, see if you'd be any better off there. Granted you'd have less debt, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think P gave you a better chance at BL if that's what you were aiming for.

Also our curve is not harsh. It's certainly better than M's. Not that firms care, as they're not ignorant of what our curve is. It takes three seconds for an interviewer to realize what school they're looking at for any given transcript and adjust accordingly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As someone who is median at Penn I have deep regrets about choosing P. Anyone that gets into P has some pretty good scholarships at T20. The P name is not enough to get you a good job. The elite firms are cutting Thier classes and HYS and CCN are fighting for all the same jobs. It can hurt you with lower ranked and philly firms. If you go to a lower school an do really well you will get a job. If you end up at median you will be in the same place with no job just with no or little debt.

Also one bad grade at penn can sink you forever. The curve is pretty harsh 1l. As someone with all good grades and one bad one, it totally ruined me.

Plenty of median students got jobs, myself being one of them (with a "bad grade" on my transcript nonetheless). Many top students did not get jobs. To say you will get a job if you go to a lower school and do really well is both wrong and presumptuous - you're likely not going to do much better at a T20 than you did at P, even if you do really well at the T20 and so-so at P. Go read the OCI threads for Vanderbilt or Fordham, see if you'd be any better off there. Granted you'd have less debt, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think P gave you a better chance at BL if that's what you were aiming for.

Also our curve is not harsh. It's certainly better than M's. Not that firms care, as they're not ignorant of what our curve is. It takes three seconds for an interviewer to realize what school they're looking at for any given transcript and adjust accordingly.

Not OP but I do think P can be a double edged sword. Granted it's much better then T20 for OCI. But once you strike out there, and people from all ranges of the class did, it can actually hurt you. Firms outside of NYC or outside V100 in NYC are not receptive to P students. I get the feeling that they know you are trying to use then as a safety net. They would rather hire students from lower ranked schools who are dying to work there

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Firms outside of NYC or outside V100 in NYC are not receptive to P students.

I get what you're trying to say, but Penn is way more than just a NYC market feeder. Literally every other decent-sized city is more than receptive to Penn students if there are some ties or a reason to be there. If you're a dude from California trying to interview in Chicago when you've never spent any time there, yeah, they're going to have questions. But if you're interviewing in California, they're more than receptive to you.

Just wanted to clarify that.

I get the feeling that they know you are trying to use then as a safety net. They would rather hire students from lower ranked schools who are dying to work there

It's just an interview question you need to answer properly. If they're questioning why you're interviewing there and not some big fancy New York law firm, stress the work they do and your interest in their region. If they ask you if you've interviewed at big fancy New York law firms, then answer truthfully (yes), but give a few reasons why you think their work is more suited for you and your career goals. There's plenty of reasons to not want to go to a big fancy New York law firm--they generally can pretty much suck, to be honest.

I encourage all of you who are still looking to realize you have plenty of time to find a great opportunity, and that some big ass law firm isn't some pinnacle of post-grad employment. Several of your classmates going to a big firm will fucking hate it and leave quickly anyways, resenting the waste of time. Meanwhile, you found some rewarding job in your hometown or in Philly or something that's way better than toiling away for a few years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firms outside of NYC or outside V100 in NYC are not receptive to P students.

I get what you're trying to say, but Penn is way more than just a NYC market feeder. Literally every other decent-sized city is more than receptive to Penn students if there are some ties or a reason to be there. If you're a dude from California trying to interview in Chicago when you've never spent any time there, yeah, they're going to have questions. But if you're interviewing in California, they're more than receptive to you.

Just wanted to clarify that.

I get the feeling that they know you are trying to use then as a safety net. They would rather hire students from lower ranked schools who are dying to work there

It's just an interview question you need to answer properly. If they're questioning why you're interviewing there and not some big fancy New York law firm, stress the work they do and your interest in their region. If they ask you if you've interviewed at big fancy New York law firms, then answer truthfully (yes), but give a few reasons why you think their work is more suited for you and your career goals. There's plenty of reasons to not want to go to a big fancy New York law firm--they generally can pretty much suck, to be honest.

I encourage all of you who are still looking to realize you have plenty of time to find a great opportunity, and that some big ass law firm isn't some pinnacle of post-grad employment. Several of your classmates going to a big firm will fucking hate it and leave quickly anyways, resenting the waste of time. Meanwhile, you found some rewarding job in your hometown or in Philly or something that's way better than toiling away for a few years.

All good points. But as someone who is still trying to secure summer employment, my experience has been that the firms outside of the V100 know that your only applying now because you have nothing else. Therefore no matter how great of an answer you give, they will always suspect (and rightfully so) that if it was up to you, you would have snagged that prestigious 160k job and now your just trying to get anything to stay out of unemployment. The kid from the T20 though is thrilled with this firm and has been gunning for it all year. Puts the P student at a real disadvantage.

Summerz

Postby Summerz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:51 am

Just happened to catch this ad tonight — since it apples to Philly, thought it might be useful to some on this thread. If I were looking I would be tempted.

http://thelegalfacilities.com/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Summerz wrote:Just happened to catch this ad tonight — since it apples to Philly, thought it might be useful to some on this thread. If I were looking I would be tempted.

We should start our own law office for the summer? You would be temped?

If you were still looking.......

So you secured a SA in a biglaw firm, and this happens to be an idea you though would be helpful for us that are still looking.

Sometimes I am just beyond shocked at the hiring decisions at firms

Summerz

Postby Summerz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Summerz wrote:Just happened to catch this ad tonight — since it apples to Philly, thought it might be useful to some on this thread. If I were looking I would be tempted.

For the summer?? WTH.
Best you stay anonymous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:27 am

Summerz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For the summer?? WTH.
Best you stay
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 am

Summerz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For the summer?? WTH.
Best you stay anonymous.

I believe OP was being sarcastic with the summer question.
Summerx, you came to the OCI thread and posted a link to some place where you can rent a desk from. Being that this an OCI thread everyone here is looking for summer positions. So what the hell is some renting some desk help us?!

Think before you post any advice

Summerz

Postby Summerz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:24 am

Chill. That posting was for those on this thread who had an unaccommodating OCI and are desperately looking for options.

(What is up with all the Anonymous postings?)

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Summerz wrote:Chill. That posting was for those on this thread who had an unaccommodating OCI and are desperately looking for options.

Are you a Penn student?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Summerz wrote:Chill. That posting was for those on this thread who had an unaccommodating OCI and are desperately looking for options.

WHAT?

People that had an unaccommodating OCI, should rent out a temporary legal office for the summer and open their own practice?!

I really hope you're not a 2L here, I like to think that we're smarter then that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Every other school's OCI thread has been silent for weeks, but this one is still filled with students prematurely panicking (remember, Penn has one of the very best biglaw placement rates in the country), along with a healthy serving of trolls who are being fed by aforementioned students. Calm down everyone. Unless there is conclusive evidence to the contrary, I am pretty Penn's OCI numbers did not implode this year. To the minority of you who didn't get what you wanted from OCI: forget the trolls, forget the naysayers, forget your smug classmates who are now slacking off, and remember that you go to a big-name school and are in a way better place than others in a similar spot from lesser schools. This would be a great time to really think if biglaw is right for you, if that's what you really want or if that's something you think you want just because everyone else's doing it. A lot of people who get biglaw without conscientiously thinking about the choice end up hating it. Life is strange; it's full of ups and downs and just because you're down now does not mean things will not get better. From a school like Penn your options are not going to be limited to biglaw. This may be a blessing in disguise. You've got to keep hustling and exploring and not lose motivation.

Neff

Postby Neff » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks Neff for the words of encouragement. What sucks is that I went to law school to go into biglaw. Actually the reason I chose Penn was bec of its high placement in biglaw. I still want Biglaw just doesn't look like it will happen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Every other school's OCI thread has been silent for weeks, but this one is still filled with students prematurely panicking (remember, Penn has one of the very best biglaw placement rates in the country), along with a healthy serving of trolls who are being fed by aforementioned students. Calm down everyone. Unless there is conclusive evidence to the contrary, I am pretty Penn's OCI numbers did not implode this year. To the minority of you who didn't get what you wanted from OCI: forget the trolls, forget the naysayers, forget your smug classmates who are now slacking off, and remember that you go to a big-name school and are in a way better place than others in a similar spot from lesser schools. This would be a great time to really think if biglaw is right for you, if that's what you really want or if that's something you think you want just because everyone else's doing it. A lot of people who get biglaw without conscientiously thinking about the choice end up hating it. Life is strange; it's full of ups and downs and just because you're down now does not mean things will not get better. From a school like Penn your options are not going to be limited to biglaw. This may be a blessing in disguise. You've got to keep hustling and exploring and not lose motivation.

I completely agree to what you've said. I feel like I wanted to do Big Law just because that's what I was supposed to do (also think this is partially due to the school atmosphere & CPP pushes towards BL.)...even though I was pretty sure I was going to hate being in a big firm. I was bummed when I didn't get a Big Law offer, but I think it has provided a chance for me to really think what I want to do and to focus my efforts to apply to jobs that I'm actually interested in. Thanks for your positive words of encouragement. Good luck guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Eh I always wanted biglaw and still do.
Not going to convince myself that this is a good thing. It's not and I'll have to settle for something else

Return to “Legal Employment”