Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Officially rejected from my 4th and final CB. Happy Friday to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Officially rejected from my 4th and final CB. Happy Friday to me.

:( My rejection from the last CB was Wednesday. Good luck to you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Welcome to the club.... it sucks but we're all in it together

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another strike out here.

Same exact thing, Ive been avoiding everyone in school. I cant concentrate on class. Have not read for any classes. I dont listen to any of the classes. Its really hard to go on. Assessing all this debt. I still have a couple of outside OCI stuff that I am waiting to hear back from, will see what happens.

We should form a support group or something.

This is my first time to post on this site - I struck out but am trying to keep my head up. A support group is a good idea, and I would like to spread some positive energy to everyone feeling down on themselves. Maybe we should meet at a bar Friday or some other time. Does this interest anyone?

This would be nice.

It turns out I actually have an account on this site from a few years ago. Anyone who is interested in a support group should PM me with their email address. I'll then email you about getting together. I don't want to post my identity on this thread, but I am a nonjudgmental person and it is quite possible that we are already friends, so don't be apprehensive about reaching out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm

I got one callback from OCI and got rejected. Since then, I've been mass mailing just about any firm in any city I would be willing to live in. I got a couple of interviews from mass mailing and just got my first offer from a firm in the city I actually wanted to be in all along.

Keep at it, guys! I had really lost hope and I thought I wasn't going to get anything but I kept trying and it worked out. It really is possible!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:30 pm

wow thats awsome!

When did this happen? Can we PM you for advice/ help?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 am

Definitely! I hope I can be helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 am

Can you give us firm or city?

Dont have to be specific. But is it big law. mid size etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am

Is it just me or has nothing been posted on simplicity in weeks?

Whats the deal with that? I though were at Penn - Ivy league, T10 and no one is hiring. What must be going on at the lower ranked schools?! Or is there no difference anymore. The 30% of us unemployed are screwed as if we are at TTT.

So we will hustle out asses off, get a shitlaw job paying 50k. Take us our whole lives to pay off our debts. But Penn can report 99% employed at grad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:06 am

DC, smaller office of a national firm. Firm-wide about 800 attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

160k?

Mass mail or simplicity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 am

Unfortunately not 160k. Finding out details today. I have an interview next week with a 145k big firm, though. Both from mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Nice! Just got a call to reject me. Really nice of them. Think im going to drop out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:47 pm

I understand that feeling because I had it for a while. It's hard to deal with the rejections. Just keep sending out applications. Send your resume to mid-sized firms too. That's what I did. It's a bad year. There are a number of really smart kids from our class who don't have anything yet. The market is different in every city, but Penn's name definitely got me interviews. Keep trying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:14 pm

So the Penn name will get us shitlaw jobs, nice!

And a lot of not so smart that have jobs, funny how things work out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So the Penn name will get us shitlaw jobs, nice!

And a lot of not so smart that have jobs, funny how things work out.

No need to anonymously bash your classmates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Don't think he was bashing. There people in the class that are smarter then others, I think that a fact we can all agree on. From my experience, I have been surprised when hearing some people that didn't get jobs and some that did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nice! Just got a call to reject me. Really nice of them. Think im going to drop out.

Rejection phone calls are THE WORST. If any recruiters, firms, etc. actually read these threads: DO NOT CALL PEOPLE TO REJECT THEM. It's mean.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Nice! Just got a call to reject me. Really nice of them. Think im going to drop out.

Rejection phone calls are THE WORST. If any recruiters, firms, etc. actually read these threads: DO NOT CALL PEOPLE TO REJECT THEM. It's mean.

Worst of the worst is getting a voicemail asking you to call them back, and when you do, then they reject you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Worst of the worst is getting a voicemail asking you to call them back, and when you do, then they reject you.

Got a phone call - knew it was the firm. Ran out of class excitedly answer it .... It was one of my cb interviewers! Now I though it was definitely an offer ... whoops sorry to inform you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Wow that sucks. It all sucks, but that really sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 pm

So what do we do? Wait till 3L oci?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 am

T20 2L here.

Why is the Penn OCI thread so much more depressing than the other threads? I'm pretty sure Penn doesn't have worse employment numbers than its comparably ranked peers. I think most of you will be fine.

user has been warned for anon abuse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:So what do we do? Wait till 3L oci?

I am hustling for them grades now. Hiring this year for any desirable job is over. Take whatever you can get to keep something on your resume- paid, unpaid, government, court, whatever, as long as its semi-respectable (if you can get any type of SA at any type of firm, take that). Get those grades up as high as possible, network during the spring HARD, both in Philly and in NYC. Mock interview. Then mass mail early, starting June and early July. Use your networking connections that you will build this spring (hopefully), and eliminate all the mistakes you made this OCI.

That's my plan. Good luck to you all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So what do we do? Wait till 3L oci?

I am hustling for them grades now. Hiring this year for any desirable job is over. Take whatever you can get to keep something on your resume- paid, unpaid, government, court, whatever, as long as its semi-respectable (if you can get any type of SA at any type of firm, take that). Get those grades up as high as possible, network during the spring HARD, both in Philly and in NYC. Mock interview. Then mass mail early, starting June and early July. Use your networking connections that you will build this spring (hopefully), and eliminate all the mistakes you made this OCI.

That's my plan. Good luck to you all.

Network hard - care to explain how?
Mass mail during summer to which firms? Most firms don't hire 3ls and the few that do come to OCI.
Eliminate mistakes you made during OCI - Let say we didn't make mistakes, yet still didn't get a job? I don't think not getting a job means making a mistake.

Not trying to give you a hard time. I'm in the same exact boat. Just trying to see if there is any substantive advice how to go about doing these things? Maybe if there are any 3ls that got jobs after striking out 2l oci, they can chime in with what worked for them.

Return to “Legal Employment”