Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Anybody here about the guy who deffered a year to do OCI again .
You think it's still an option?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody here about the guy who deffered a year to do OCI again .

I wonder how effective this would be. Was he unhappy with his bidlist? Did he fail to mass mail prior to OCI? It seems very risky. Is legal hiring expected to pick up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody here about the guy who deffered a year to do OCI again .

I wonder how effective this would be. Was he unhappy with his bidlist? Did he fail to mass mail prior to OCI? It seems very risky. Is legal hiring expected to pick up?

Regardless of whether you can defer and do OCI again (maybe in early september you could, I REALLY doubt it now though... but whatever), who knows what legal hiring will be like in a year. I think most people expected this year to be a slight improvement on last year, and that definitely didn't happen. Maybe next year will be a lot better, or maybe it'll be another step back. Who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear the above stories.

Can I ask, how can your classmates make it better? What would be an appropriate way for us to be supportive? Not say anything at all? Make suggestions? Try and distract you?

I think everyone in the law school is rooting for everyone still looking. Sometimes it's just hard to know what to say...

I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I would rather not talk about it with people so avoiding it is probably best. To answer your question in a slightly different way, though- I think the thing that would help the most is if I had some peace of mind that the people who do know I struck out don't think I'm a complete idiot, or that I have bad grades, or whatever negative thing could be imagined. There really is a lot of luck to this process- in my case, my bidding strategy could have been better, but I was working with the best information I had at the time. My grades are good, if not at least solid- but certainly not bad. And I worked hard; harder than anything I ever have in my life, just like we all did. Sometimes people get screwed. What I'm trying to ask is that people reserve judgement about those who they know struck out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 pm

I struck out. Had a meeting with CPP. They don't seem that bothered. It was very frustrating. I asked them directly if they can contact firms where they have strong connections to arrange interviews. They looked at me like I was crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out. Had a meeting with CPP. They don't seem that bothered. It was very frustrating. I asked them directly if they can contact firms where they have strong connections to arrange interviews. They looked at me like I was crazy.

New strikeout Anon?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out. Had a meeting with CPP. They don't seem that bothered. It was very frustrating. I asked them directly if they can contact firms where they have strong connections to arrange interviews. They looked at me like I was crazy.

I've had 3. Only one of them was helpful, and that was about non-firm stuff (so honestly, I seriously suggest you see them if you're not looking at firms, because they did have VERY good advice and connections for that). Talking with them about firm stuff wasn't useful at all, it was basically "oh you've applied to a bunch of places? follow up with them. and focus on your grades." I wouldn't say that I'm mad at them, but I'm not gonna lie, at this point I'm a little disappointed because I expected them to be able to do SOMETHING besides just tell me to follow up with places, you know? Reading some other threads on here, it seems like at some other schools they'll call firms for you and ask why the rejected you, or call after CB's and tell them that they're your #1 choice, or whatever. They don't seem to want to do any of that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've had 3. Only one of them was helpful, and that was about non-firm stuff (so honestly, I seriously suggest you see them if you're not looking at firms, because they did have VERY good advice and connections for that). Talking with them about firm stuff wasn't useful at all, it was basically "oh you've applied to a bunch of places? follow up with them. and focus on your grades." I wouldn't say that I'm mad at them, but I'm not gonna lie, at this point I'm a little disappointed because I expected them to be able to do SOMETHING besides just tell me to follow up with places, you know? Reading some other threads on here, it seems like at some other schools they'll call firms for you and ask why the rejected you, or call after CB's and tell them that they're your #1 choice, or whatever. They don't seem to want to do any of that.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/03/revampin ... proposals/ "The whole office is a solitaire-playing, baby-making, incompetent den of secretaries who are contractually obligated to use the word “network” in every single sentence"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Have you spoken with Mariel? I had similar experiences with a couple other CPP counselors, but she was actually willing to call a couple of my CB interviewers and get feedback from them. Everyone else in that office is super useless though.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Have you spoken with Mariel? I had similar experiences with a couple other CPP counselors, but she was actually willing to call a couple of my CB interviewers and get feedback from them. Everyone else in that office is super useless though.

Mariel is my absolute favorite. She's extremely helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Still haven't heard back from one of my screeners. Too late to follow up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another strike out here.

Same exact thing, Ive been avoiding everyone in school. I cant concentrate on class. Have not read for any classes. I dont listen to any of the classes. Its really hard to go on. Assessing all this debt. I still have a couple of outside OCI stuff that I am waiting to hear back from, will see what happens.

We should form a support group or something.

This is my first time to post on this site - I struck out but am trying to keep my head up. A support group is a good idea, and I would like to spread some positive energy to everyone feeling down on themselves. Maybe we should meet at a bar Friday or some other time. Does this interest anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still haven't heard back from one of my screeners. Too late to follow up?

Email the recruiting director from the firm and tell them whom you met with and on what day, that you're still interested, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Still haven't heard back from one of my screeners. Too late to follow up?

Can't hurt. Without trying to sound like a dick, its something you should have done 4-6 weeks ago, but can't hurt to do it now. What firm, btw?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Anybody having any luck?

What do we do now? Whats everyones plans for the summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another strike out here.

Same exact thing, Ive been avoiding everyone in school. I cant concentrate on class. Have not read for any classes. I dont listen to any of the classes. Its really hard to go on. Assessing all this debt. I still have a couple of outside OCI stuff that I am waiting to hear back from, will see what happens.

We should form a support group or something.

This is my first time to post on this site - I struck out but am trying to keep my head up. A support group is a good idea, and I would like to spread some positive energy to everyone feeling down on themselves. Maybe we should meet at a bar Friday or some other time. Does this interest anyone?

This would be nice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody having any luck?

What do we do now? Whats everyones plans for the summer?

I feel like I have exhausted every option. I'm still mass mailing, but getting a LOT of "we've finished our hiring" responses. There aren't very many more places I have left to apply to, either...

Trying to focus on grades before they slip into oblivion for this semester; I want to ensure I at least have SOME remote chance as a 3L or in the spring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm so domaralized! I feel like no one at school cares

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm so domaralized! I feel like no one at school cares

I just go to class and get the hell out. Being there makes me feel so much worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:53 pm

I go to class but find it so hard to pay attention. I think about my career prospects and get sooo depressed. Were supposed to bust out ass to try and keep our grades up, while were stressed as can be because of out lack of jobs. While our relaxed classmate have nothing at all on their mind.

And all for what. For the slim chance of maybe during OCI for 3l we maybe will get a job paying 50k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 pm

What percentage of us are unemployed? CPP will never say, so they can paint a nice rosy picture for the 1ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What percentage of us are unemployed? CPP will never say, so they can paint a nice rosy picture for the 1ls.

Based on nothing but speculation and whatnot based on what happened during OCI and talking to some people, maybe like 30%?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:53 pm

The other 70% are really pissing me off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The other 70% are really pissing me off.

No need for that...

Return to “Legal Employment”