Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby manofjustice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 pm

PennBull wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
Phoenix7 wrote:Look, a good number of Penn 3Ls found themselves in exactly the same situation last year. I know for a fact that most have managed to secure full-time offers (at V10 firms, even). My two cents are: seek these people out and ask them for advice. Remember: your classmates are your biggest resource. Capitalize on that resource and don't give in so soon. If others got through this and thrived, why can't you?


At best all you can promise is that if the poster does these things, he will increase marginally his chances of getting a job. But because there aren't enough jobs for everyone, the poster still has a chance of losing. When you have already won, your offering advice just makes the person down-and-out want to punch you. Your insinuating that the prize is his for the losing because "you know a person who got a V10 as a 3L" makes him want to punch you harder.

Also, by the by..."why can't you"?...who the fuck says he hasn't been "capitalizing on his resources" already, thank you very much...


Do you go to Penn?


PM me.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby PennBull » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 pm

manofjustice wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Do you go to Penn?


PM me.


If you don't, I kindly request that you stay the fuck out of this thread, regardless of just how important and necessary you think your input is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer from a firm I mass-mailed! Struck out with firms that came to OCI long ago, so I'm very relieved. Hopefully this inspires some hope among people who are mass-mailing.


+1 to this. I've gotten 4 CBs from mass mail so far. Sadly 2 of them didn't work out but the other pair I'm still waiting to hear back from.


I just got my first offer today, also from mass mailing. Keep it up, everyone!


In the V100 or at least NLJ250?



Oddly enough, boutique litigation firm...so no. But not crap law either.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby manofjustice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:53 pm

PennBull wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Do you go to Penn?


PM me.


If you don't, I kindly request that you stay the fuck out of this thread, regardless of just how important and necessary you think your input is.


PM me.

Phoenix7
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Phoenix7 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Yes, I'm a 2L at Penn.

I am genuinely sorry if I offended anyone on this thread.

My post was not meant to accuse anyone of "not trying" hard enough...Instead, I wanted to simply express that the fight's far from over. I wanted to encourage and support...because I've always felt that in spite of all the stress of law school, Penn Law has been a place where students still strive to remain kind, to look out for one another, to be human.

Again, I apologize if my message was misunderstood. But I stand by the "spirit" of my message: don't give up!

I also hope you two apologize for you hostility. If anyone wants to talk, I have a better idea: PM me and we can arrange to see each other in the flesh. Heck, we probably even have a class together or something. I wonder what you would say to me then.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby OutCold » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Phoenix7 wrote:Yes, I'm a 2L at Penn.

I am genuinely sorry if I offended anyone on this thread.

My post was not meant to accuse anyone of "not trying" hard enough...Instead, I wanted to simply express that the fight's far from over. I wanted to encourage and support...because I've always felt that in spite of all the stress of law school, Penn Law has been a place where students still strive to remain kind, to look out for one another, to be human.

Again, I apologize if my message was misunderstood. But I stand by the "spirit" of my message: don't give up!

I also hope you two apologize for you hostility. If anyone wants to talk, I have a better idea: PM me and we can arrange to see each other in the flesh. Heck, we probably even have a class together or something. I wonder what you would say to me then.


I'm pretty sure Pennbull was directing that to manofjustice, not to you. I also don't think manofjustice goes to Penn.

Phoenix7
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Phoenix7 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:01 pm

OutCold wrote:
Phoenix7 wrote:Yes, I'm a 2L at Penn.

I am genuinely sorry if I offended anyone on this thread.

My post was not meant to accuse anyone of "not trying" hard enough...Instead, I wanted to simply express that the fight's far from over. I wanted to encourage and support...because I've always felt that in spite of all the stress of law school, Penn Law has been a place where students still strive to remain kind, to look out for one another, to be human.

Again, I apologize if my message was misunderstood. But I stand by the "spirit" of my message: don't give up!

I also hope you two apologize for you hostility. If anyone wants to talk, I have a better idea: PM me and we can arrange to see each other in the flesh. Heck, we probably even have a class together or something. I wonder what you would say to me then.


I'm pretty sure Pennbull was directing that to manofjustice, not to you. I also don't think manofjustice goes to Penn.



Well, that explains it. Sorry, Pennbull! And completely agreed: if you are not a Penn Law kid, please get off our thread and don't pick fights!

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby manofjustice » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:15 am

Phoenix7 wrote:
OutCold wrote:
Phoenix7 wrote:Yes, I'm a 2L at Penn.

I am genuinely sorry if I offended anyone on this thread.

My post was not meant to accuse anyone of "not trying" hard enough...Instead, I wanted to simply express that the fight's far from over. I wanted to encourage and support...because I've always felt that in spite of all the stress of law school, Penn Law has been a place where students still strive to remain kind, to look out for one another, to be human.

Again, I apologize if my message was misunderstood. But I stand by the "spirit" of my message: don't give up!

I also hope you two apologize for you hostility. If anyone wants to talk, I have a better idea: PM me and we can arrange to see each other in the flesh. Heck, we probably even have a class together or something. I wonder what you would say to me then.


I'm pretty sure Pennbull was directing that to manofjustice, not to you. I also don't think manofjustice goes to Penn.



Well, that explains it. Sorry, Pennbull! And completely agreed: if you are not a Penn Law kid, please get off our thread and don't pick fights!


If I am not a Penn law kid, I won't pick fights. My sincerest apologizes.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby PennBull » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 am

Phoenix7 wrote:Yes, I'm a 2L at Penn.

I am genuinely sorry if I offended anyone on this thread.

My post was not meant to accuse anyone of "not trying" hard enough...Instead, I wanted to simply express that the fight's far from over. I wanted to encourage and support...because I've always felt that in spite of all the stress of law school, Penn Law has been a place where students still strive to remain kind, to look out for one another, to be human.

Again, I apologize if my message was misunderstood. But I stand by the "spirit" of my message: don't give up!

I also hope you two apologize for you hostility. If anyone wants to talk, I have a better idea: PM me and we can arrange to see each other in the flesh. Heck, we probably even have a class together or something. I wonder what you would say to me then.


Aye dude Outcold is right you're fine by me

I actually agree with your sentiment for what it's worth

I know it's not what many anticipated in choosing Penn but the game is far from over. Everyone still has a way big advantage over 95% of law graduates. It's just going to have to be a different path than OCI is all

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Struck out! ugh

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:07 pm

So how many of us don't have offers/struck out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Which markets were you targeting?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So how many of us don't have offers/struck out?

Unless my last callback miraculously gets me a job (which I doubt because honestly I think it was the worst of the 4 I had, and they're only hiring 1 or 2 SA's)... me. Not sure what to do now. Met with CPP last week (during one of those "super counseling" things where you met with 3 counselors at once) and their advice was basically "oh you already applied to a lot of places? well just focus on your grades now because there's not much more you can do." Pretty depressing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So how many of us don't have offers/struck out?

Unless my last callback miraculously gets me a job (which I doubt because honestly I think it was the worst of the 4 I had, and they're only hiring 1 or 2 SA's)... me. Not sure what to do now. Met with CPP last week (during one of those "super counseling" things where you met with 3 counselors at once) and their advice was basically "oh you already applied to a lot of places? well just focus on your grades now because there's not much more you can do." Pretty depressing.


Similar position. How many CBs did you have?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So how many of us don't have offers/struck out?

Unless my last callback miraculously gets me a job (which I doubt because honestly I think it was the worst of the 4 I had, and they're only hiring 1 or 2 SA's)... me. Not sure what to do now. Met with CPP last week (during one of those "super counseling" things where you met with 3 counselors at once) and their advice was basically "oh you already applied to a lot of places? well just focus on your grades now because there's not much more you can do." Pretty depressing.


Similar position. How many CBs did you have?

4. 3 NYC, 1 Philly. Plus (at the risk of outing myself...) the DA's office in a major city (which I won't hear back from for a while since they're really slow, but I don't think I have a good shot at it because I don't think the CB went well). Only 1 of these was a firm hiring a big (25+) summer class, though, and 2 of them I always knew were long-shots because of their small class sizes. How many did you have?

Honestly, I'm not a prestige whore and I'm not really concerned about making a lot of money (just enough to pay my loans and buy beer and video games!), but I don't even know where to apply or look for jobs anymore! Mass mailed like 5 different markets, and really tried to hit everything in NYC and my home market. I really don't wanna drop out (I do enjoy legal work and really loved my summer job), but with $75k in debt already, its definitely a possibility since I don't think I'll even be able to find a paying job! I just don't know what to do now...

(just wondering, are you the 1st anon or someone new? mostly just wanna see how many of us strikeouts there are on here)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So how many of us don't have offers/struck out?

Unless my last callback miraculously gets me a job (which I doubt because honestly I think it was the worst of the 4 I had, and they're only hiring 1 or 2 SA's)... me. Not sure what to do now. Met with CPP last week (during one of those "super counseling" things where you met with 3 counselors at once) and their advice was basically "oh you already applied to a lot of places? well just focus on your grades now because there's not much more you can do." Pretty depressing.


Similar position. How many CBs did you have?

4. 3 NYC, 1 Philly. Plus (at the risk of outing myself...) the DA's office in a major city (which I won't hear back from for a while since they're really slow, but I don't think I have a good shot at it because I don't think the CB went well). Only 1 of these was a firm hiring a big (25+) summer class, though, and 2 of them I always knew were long-shots because of their small class sizes. How many did you have?

Honestly, I'm not a prestige whore and I'm not really concerned about making a lot of money (just enough to pay my loans and buy beer and video games!), but I don't even know where to apply or look for jobs anymore! Mass mailed like 5 different markets, and really tried to hit everything in NYC and my home market. I really don't wanna drop out (I do enjoy legal work and really loved my summer job), but with $75k in debt already, its definitely a possibility since I don't think I'll even be able to find a paying job! I just don't know what to do now...

(just wondering, are you the 1st anon or someone new? mostly just wanna see how many of us strikeouts there are on here)



I'm the Oct 4 & Oct 7 Anon. My CBs were also at firms with small summer classes, all single digits. It's definitely an uphill battle in that situation. I wish I had known how much harder that would have made things when I was bidding and I would have just bid NYC, huge summer class firms only, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm waiting to hear back from one as well, but it's coming up on a month now. =/ Median, by the way.

I've been mass mailing off and on- I will send a bunch out and then I will get frustrated and jaded and take a break. I don't think I will be hitting up NYC anymore though. I was mass mailing Philly as well, to no avail. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I have exhausted my options. Not really sure what to do at this point except keep trying, but it's hard to stay positive. I've been avoiding my friends and living in a bubble since school started, and class is difficult to really put a lot of effort into. It's a shame, because I came into this with so much confidence and I thought this year was going to be awesome, but it's been really horrible for me so far. Hopefully we will catch a break.

Are there any other Penn Anons who've struck out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Another strike out here.

Same exact thing, Ive been avoiding everyone in school. I cant concentrate on class. Have not read for any classes. I dont listen to any of the classes. Its really hard to go on. Assessing all this debt. I still have a couple of outside OCI stuff that I am waiting to hear back from, will see what happens.

We should form a support group or something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 am

Struck out as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another strike out here.

Same exact thing, Ive been avoiding everyone in school. I cant concentrate on class. Have not read for any classes. I dont listen to any of the classes. Its really hard to go on. Assessing all this debt. I still have a couple of outside OCI stuff that I am waiting to hear back from, will see what happens.

We should form a support group or something.

Agree so much with that. Barely been reading and been spending most of my time outside of class just watching tv or doing other stupid stuff because otherwise I just feel so stressed.

Really, my biggest concern is just "what do I do next?" Right now I'm thinking if I don't get the DA position (that I won't hear back from for a while) I'll probably drop out, but even then I don't know what to do next with the debt and all. Guess go back to school for something else. Fun to think about... :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Sorry to hear the above stories.

Can I ask, how can your classmates make it better? What would be an appropriate way for us to be supportive? Not say anything at all? Make suggestions? Try and distract you?

I think everyone in the law school is rooting for everyone still looking. Sometimes it's just hard to know what to say...

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby PennBull » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 pm

For those of you concerned about debt, etc., I highly encourage you to both talk to various folks at the law school. Not just our friends at CPP; I also mean admissions, student life, and maybe a professor or two you like.

You can do as much as you can by yourself on the job search front, but sometimes only other people can help with the other issues. Nobody here is going to bullshit you into paying more money if it's not reasonable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 pm

I am one of the anons who struck out- is dropping out really worth considering? I can't imagine it is. This isn't some second tier school; the Penn degree will help us for life, even if we are having trouble now.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby PennBull » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am one of the anons who struck out- is dropping out really worth considering? I can't imagine it is. This isn't some second tier school; the Penn degree will help us for life, even if we are having trouble now.


It depends on one's undergraduate debt level and total debt level post-grad

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm paying sticker at Penn- will be ~310k after graduation. But I don't have any real job prospects otherwise, Poli Sci major.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273551
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm not dropping out. Always wanted to be a lawyer and worked hard to get here. I had offers from T20s of really great scholarships (like 75% free) that I didn't take. Hindsight should have taken it. I chose Penn for the percentage employed. Well isn't life funny. Had decent grades a couple of As a couple of B and B+s and one B-.

To the one who said talk to admissions and professors. About what exactly?
You think they will give us a tuition cut Because we struck out?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.