Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Journals suck, Especially after striking out

Journal + pro bono project board member + strike out = :cry:

Phoenix7
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Phoenix7 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Look, a good number of Penn 3Ls found themselves in exactly the same situation last year. I know for a fact that most have managed to secure full-time offers (at V10 firms, even). My two cents are: seek these people out and ask them for advice. Remember: your classmates are your biggest resource. Capitalize on that resource and don't give in so soon. If others got through this and thrived, why can't you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Do some firms just never get back to you? Still waiting on a couple of screeners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 pm

^I don't know that politely checking in with them is an entirely bad idea. I think that's what I would do.
Anonymous User wrote:Do some firms just never get back to you? Still waiting on a couple of screeners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 am

Phoenix7 wrote:Look, a good number of Penn 3Ls found themselves in exactly the same situation last year. I know for a fact that most have managed to secure full-time offers (at V10 firms, even). My two cents are: seek these people out and ask them for advice. Remember: your classmates are your biggest resource. Capitalize on that resource and don't give in so soon. If others got through this and thrived, why can't you?
.


Really most?! Please I know a bunch of 3ls who still don't have Jobs. I'm all for advice and things but just to lay false hope on us is not helping anyone

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 am

How many of us are still without offers? Things are looking less hopeful by the day as I wait to hear back from the last of my few callbacks...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:How many of us are still without offers? Things are looking less hopeful by the day as I wait to hear back from the last of my few callbacks...


I do not have an offer either. I had 5 callbacks, all ending by September 1. Three dings, still waiting to hear from 2.

I have two callbacks still, which I got from mass mailing. We'll see.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Got 2 CB's today (well, 1's not a law firm but its a PI thing I'd be very interested in so whatever). Don't give up hope!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many of us are still without offers? Things are looking less hopeful by the day as I wait to hear back from the last of my few callbacks...


I do not have an offer either. I had 5 callbacks, all ending by September 1. Three dings, still waiting to hear from 2.

I have two callbacks still, which I got from mass mailing. We'll see.

Jeez, thats crazy. The market really is extra shitty this year. :(
I also still don't have an offer, if my post didn't make that seem obvious haha.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got 2 CB's today (well, 1's not a law firm but its a PI thing I'd be very interested in so whatever). Don't give up hope!

Got another interview today (not sure if its a screener or a CB yet; guessing just a screener) with a NYC firm. Don't give up!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got 2 CB's today (well, 1's not a law firm but its a PI thing I'd be very interested in so whatever). Don't give up hope!

Got another interview today (not sure if its a screener or a CB yet; guessing just a screener) with a NYC firm. Don't give up!


From mass mailing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got 2 CB's today (well, 1's not a law firm but its a PI thing I'd be very interested in so whatever). Don't give up hope!

Got another interview today (not sure if its a screener or a CB yet; guessing just a screener) with a NYC firm. Don't give up!


From mass mailing?

The firms, yeah. Had 1 other screener from mass mailing like 3 weeks ago that didn't go anywhere, but hopefully these will be more successful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Looking for some advice from you guys.

Had a callback interview with NYC firm about 2.5 weeks ago. Got a call four days ago from recruiter saying that I'm still being considered and that they hope to have a decision for me soon. I reaffirmed my interest (my guess is that they are looking at where their yield is and will respond negatively or positively on that basis). Anything else I can do at this point?

And yes, the market is worse this year than last year. Heard this directly from CP&P.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some advice from you guys.

Had a callback interview with NYC firm about 2.5 weeks ago. Got a call four days ago from recruiter saying that I'm still being considered and that they hope to have a decision for me soon. I reaffirmed my interest (my guess is that they are looking at where their yield is and will respond negatively or positively on that basis). Anything else I can do at this point?

And yes, the market is worse this year than last year. Heard this directly from CP&P.

Did they say anything else to you, or just that it was worse? No surprise to hear them confirm it though. Honestly wondering what percentage of the class is even gonna get biglaw.

Anyway, honestly I don't think there is much you can do at this point. If they don't get back to you in another week, definitely send an email or something, but I think they're just waiting to see how many other people accept/reject offers. Assuming they were doing CB's all through the end of August and early September, with the 28 day rule I think they'll be seeing a lot of movement over the next week or so, and you'll hear then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And yes, the market is worse this year than last year. Heard this directly from CP&P.

I feel like people said this last year around this time and it ended up being mostly the same after everything shook out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some advice from you guys.

Had a callback interview with NYC firm about 2.5 weeks ago. Got a call four days ago from recruiter saying that I'm still being considered and that they hope to have a decision for me soon. I reaffirmed my interest (my guess is that they are looking at where their yield is and will respond negatively or positively on that basis). Anything else I can do at this point?

And yes, the market is worse this year than last year. Heard this directly from CP&P.

Did they say anything else to you, or just that it was worse? No surprise to hear them confirm it though. Honestly wondering what percentage of the class is even gonna get biglaw.

Anyway, honestly I don't think there is much you can do at this point. If they don't get back to you in another week, definitely send an email or something, but I think they're just waiting to see how many other people accept/reject offers. Assuming they were doing CB's all through the end of August and early September, with the 28 day rule I think they'll be seeing a lot of movement over the next week or so, and you'll hear then.


Thanks for the advice! Re: your question, I believe I initially asked CP&P if the legal market was heading towards stabilization and their answer was an adamant 'no.' I didn't inquire 'how much worse off penn law 2Ls were"...I really didn't want to know because it was the 3rd day of OCI and I didn't know how much more stress I could take. Would be interesting to actually get some good data on this though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And yes, the market is worse this year than last year. Heard this directly from CP&P.

I feel like people said this last year around this time and it ended up being mostly the same after everything shook out.

No, there was definitely a decline from 2011 to 2012--obviously not as big as people initially thought (it always seems worse when you're in the thick of it) but it was there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Have a CB next week with a satellite office of a firm that I interviewed with during OCI (for their main office in a different city) and got rejected from (no CB). How do I approach this if it comes up? I have good reasons for wanting to be in the city I have the CB in, so is it best to play it off as "Well I was/am interested in your firm, but this city is really where I'd rather be"?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got 2 CB's today (well, 1's not a law firm but its a PI thing I'd be very interested in so whatever). Don't give up hope!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many of us are still without offers? Things are looking less hopeful by the day as I wait to hear back from the last of my few callbacks...


I do not have an offer either. I had 5 callbacks, all ending by September 1. Three dings, still waiting to hear from 2.

I have two callbacks still, which I got from mass mailing. We'll see.

Jeez, thats crazy. The market really is extra shitty this year. :(
I also still don't have an offer, if my post didn't make that seem obvious haha.


I had more than 5 CBs and am just about to strike out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I had more than 5 CBs and am just about to strike out.


I'm right there with you. I'm pretty worried :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Just got an offer from a firm I mass-mailed! Struck out with firms that came to OCI long ago, so I'm very relieved. Hopefully this inspires some hope among people who are mass-mailing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer from a firm I mass-mailed! Struck out with firms that came to OCI long ago, so I'm very relieved. Hopefully this inspires some hope among people who are mass-mailing.


+1 to this. I've gotten 4 CBs from mass mail so far. Sadly 2 of them didn't work out but the other pair I'm still waiting to hear back from.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer from a firm I mass-mailed! Struck out with firms that came to OCI long ago, so I'm very relieved. Hopefully this inspires some hope among people who are mass-mailing.


+1 to this. I've gotten 4 CBs from mass mail so far. Sadly 2 of them didn't work out but the other pair I'm still waiting to hear back from.


I just got my first offer today, also from mass mailing. Keep it up, everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer from a firm I mass-mailed! Struck out with firms that came to OCI long ago, so I'm very relieved. Hopefully this inspires some hope among people who are mass-mailing.


+1 to this. I've gotten 4 CBs from mass mail so far. Sadly 2 of them didn't work out but the other pair I'm still waiting to hear back from.


I just got my first offer today, also from mass mailing. Keep it up, everyone!


In the V100 or at least NLJ250?

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby manofjustice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Phoenix7 wrote:Look, a good number of Penn 3Ls found themselves in exactly the same situation last year. I know for a fact that most have managed to secure full-time offers (at V10 firms, even). My two cents are: seek these people out and ask them for advice. Remember: your classmates are your biggest resource. Capitalize on that resource and don't give in so soon. If others got through this and thrived, why can't you?


At best all you can promise is that if the poster does these things, he will increase marginally his chances of getting a job. But because there aren't enough jobs for everyone, the poster still has a chance of losing. When you have already won, your offering advice just makes the person down-and-out want to punch you. Your insinuating that the prize is his for the losing because "you know a person who got a V10 as a 3L" makes him want to punch you harder.

Also, by the by..."why can't you"?...who the fuck says he hasn't been "capitalizing on his resources" already, thank you very much...

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15422
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby PennBull » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Phoenix7 wrote:Look, a good number of Penn 3Ls found themselves in exactly the same situation last year. I know for a fact that most have managed to secure full-time offers (at V10 firms, even). My two cents are: seek these people out and ask them for advice. Remember: your classmates are your biggest resource. Capitalize on that resource and don't give in so soon. If others got through this and thrived, why can't you?


At best all you can promise is that if the poster does these things, he will increase marginally his chances of getting a job. But because there aren't enough jobs for everyone, the poster still has a chance of losing. When you have already won, your offering advice just makes the person down-and-out want to punch you. Your insinuating that the prize is his for the losing because "you know a person who got a V10 as a 3L" makes him want to punch you harder.

Also, by the by..."why can't you"?...who the fuck says he hasn't been "capitalizing on his resources" already, thank you very much...


Do you go to Penn?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.