Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Brown Rudnick?

Call back on Wednesday
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I got a Goodwin Procter NYC CB today so some from earlier this week are still trickling in.

As for Section 2 con law debacle, I absolutely would not put it past him. Our professor got really sour towards the end of the semester, clearly hated being at Penn.

I don't understand why action isn't being taken on the administrative level. Doesn't it reflect poorly on the school and our employment statistics?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I got a Goodwin Procter NYC CB today so some from earlier this week are still trickling in.

As for Section 2 con law debacle, I absolutely would not put it past him. Our professor got really sour towards the end of the semester, clearly hated being at Penn.

I don't understand why action isn't being taken on the administrative level. Doesn't it reflect poorly on the school and our employment statistics?

He gave the maximum number of Cs allowable under the curve. It's not like he broke any policies. One of the section 1 profs from first semester did the same thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Who was the Goodwin NYC interviewer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He gave the maximum number of Cs allowable under the curve. It's not like he broke any policies. One of the section 1 profs from first semester did the same thing.

Wax?

Maybe he is trying to make Temple look better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought the maximum for all grades B- and below was 15%. Given a section of about 80 students, that's 12 students. From what I gather, 12 barely covers the folks who made a C, let alone all the folks who made a B-.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:08 pm

I am under the impression that Cs and A+s are considered outside of the curve. So if ~30% of people must get a B, the pool of people that 30% is chosen from does not include the Cs and A+s. So if there are a lot of Cs, that would hurt people higher up as well. I could be wrong though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who was the Goodwin NYC interviewer?

BT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

BT

Congrats... Hope LT hasn't made calls yet!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:20 pm

O'Melveny (LA) ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

BT

Congrats... Hope LT hasn't made calls yet!

Hope so too; good luck!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 am

Wiggin & Dana

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wax?

Maybe he is trying to make Temple look better.

Yep. 3 Cs in a class of 40 (Civ Pro was section 1's split class). I wasn't thrilled about my grade in her class, but oh my god it could have been so much worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Winston ding via email. Interviewer: S.S.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Winston ding: TL. Having to click on an attached letter was fun.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Skadden LA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Just got ding email from Goodwin NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Gibson DC mail-ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Has anyone spoken to dean clinton about our esteemed visiting con prof.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got ding email from Goodwin NY

Interviewer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Interviewer?

Not OP but email ding at the same time from LT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Any one know anything about mass mailing law firms? CPP seems to have forgotten to inform us of anything but how to schedule our 18 callbacks that were all guaranteed to get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any one know anything about mass mailing law firms? CPP seems to have forgotten to inform us of anything but how to schedule our 18 callbacks that were all guaranteed to get.

I did this (I'm interested in a smaller market which doesn't recruit much at OCI) and got two callbacks before OCI started, and some more since then. It's fairly straightforward, just find the firms in your market you'd be interested in, then make a spreadsheet (name of firm, date of contact, materials sent, date of follow-up, outcome, etc.) and start e-mailing. I made a standard cover letter which I made minor changes to for each firm.

I think the hardest part is finding which firms to mail. I was fortunate in that there was a TLS thread in this forum about my market from last year, and in the thread someone from the local school posted all the employers recruiting at their OCI, so that was a pretty simple and comprehensive list of firms which had taken at least some SAs in the past. Otherwise, check NALP and that Resume Launchpad site.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any one know anything about mass mailing law firms? CPP seems to have forgotten to inform us of anything but how to schedule our 18 callbacks that were all guaranteed to get.

I did this (I'm interested in a smaller market which doesn't recruit much at OCI) and got two callbacks before OCI started, and some more since then. It's fairly straightforward, just find the firms in your market you'd be interested in, then make a spreadsheet (name of firm, date of contact, materials sent, date of follow-up, outcome, etc.) and start e-mailing. I made a standard cover letter which I made minor changes to for each firm.

I think the hardest part is finding which firms to mail. I was fortunate in that there was a TLS thread in this forum about my market from last year, and in the thread someone from the local school posted all the employers recruiting at their OCI, so that was a pretty simple and comprehensive list of firms which had taken at least some SAs in the past. Otherwise, check NALP and that Resume Launchpad site.

There are a few guides on TLS on the how-tos, complete with template spreadsheets. I was also targeting a smaller market that doesn't come to OCI or regionals. I've gotten three screeners so far from that.

Just curious: Did you do a mock interview or bid-check with CPP? The person I worked with mentioned mass mail during both of these and it seemed to be on the checklist CPP was using for bid-check topics. I wonder if you worked with someone who just wasn't on the same page as the group.

Good luck on mass mail!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Interviewer?

Not OP but email ding at the same time from LT.

Hm. I guess I'm experiencing my first (and only) of the not-dinged-but-not-called limbos.

Return to “Legal Employment”