Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got JBL! Very excited about it.

Nice dude! Why so excited? I thought we were all guaranteed a journal.


Someone could be excited about being on JBL....

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got JBL! Very excited about it.

Nice dude! Why so excited? I thought we were all guaranteed a journal.


Another example of T14 spoiled-ness

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got JBL! Very excited about it.

Nice dude! Why so excited? I thought we were all guaranteed a journal.


Another example of T14 spoiled-ness


This has nothing to do with the rank of our school. Our school just happens to almost guarantee journal membership.

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got JBL! Very excited about it.

Nice dude! Why so excited? I thought we were all guaranteed a journal.


Another example of T14 spoiled-ness


This has nothing to do with the rank of our school. Our school just happens to almost guarantee journal membership.


they also happen to almost guarantee good spoiled jobs too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Nice dude! Why so excited? I thought we were all guaranteed a journal.


Another example of T14 spoiled-ness


This has nothing to do with the rank of our school. Our school just happens to almost guarantee journal membership.


they also happen to almost guarantee good spoiled jobs too.


Right? It's like there's a point in going to a top ten school or something. Jesus.

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 am

Don't for a second think you deserve it or that it's because of your capabilities. It's a bullshit system and you got lucky. So enjoy it but understand you're very little different from the t60 grads or whatever and ultimately are undeserving, spoiled, and lucky.

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Themaddh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Don't for a second think you deserve it or that it's because of your capabilities. It's a bullshit system and you got lucky. So enjoy it but understand you're very little different from the t60 grads or whatever and ultimately are undeserving, spoiled, and lucky.


Someone's upset they blew their LSAT. Could you be more bitter? I've seen all your past posts how you wish you went to CLS or MVP. Get over it.

User avatar
sopranorleone
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Don't for a second think you deserve it or that it's because of your capabilities. It's a bullshit system and you got lucky. So enjoy it but understand you're very little different from the t60 grads or whatever and ultimately are undeserving, spoiled, and lucky.


Well luck can always change, but unfortunately for you, you'll be stupid forever.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Don't for a second think you deserve it or that it's because of your capabilities. It's a bullshit system and you got lucky. So enjoy it but understand you're very little different from the t60 grads or whatever and ultimately are undeserving, spoiled, and lucky.


Substantively, maybe not, LSAT does not have much to do with anything. Practically, yes, because the legal work view a T10 degree as more attractive than a T60 degree. I don't think most of us are here to defend it, we are all pawns in the game. But don't for a second think that having a T10 degree is the same as having a T60 degree. And don't hate us, we didn't come up with the BS, we just play along.

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:17 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Don't for a second think you deserve it or that it's because of your capabilities. It's a bullshit system and you got lucky. So enjoy it but understand you're very little different from the t60 grads or whatever and ultimately are undeserving, spoiled, and lucky.


WHY ARE YOU GOING THROUGH RANDOM THREADS AND TROLLING

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Interestingly no black AEs on L Rev this year. Apparently that was the case for the past two years as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Anyone pick up a lot of interviews off the waitlist? I added 3.

And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone pick up a lot of interviews off the waitlist? I added 3.

And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?


4 here (including one in my top 10 so I'm pretty stoked).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone pick up a lot of interviews off the waitlist? I added 3.

And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?


4 here (including one in my top 10 so I'm pretty stoked).


Picked up 7: 26 to 33.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Picked up 4 more interviews off the waitlists. Weird mix of firms. I wonder if these slots are because people are canceling interviews or if they just didn't fill the schedules?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby r6_philly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Picked up 4 more interviews off the waitlists. Weird mix of firms. I wonder if these slots are because people are canceling interviews or if they just didn't fill the schedules?


3Ls are probably cancelling interviews after getting offers from summer firms. Look for more next week too because some programs are ending today.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Wholigan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?


Some of them won't show up until the day or two before. And it's likely that some of the interviewers that are listed now will be replaced by a new interviewer a day or two before, or even last minute. Don't get too freaked out about it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby r6_philly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?


Some of them won't show up until the day or two before. And it's likely that some of the interviewers that are listed now will be replaced by a new interviewer a day or two before, or even last minute. Don't get too freaked out about it.


They also generally post the bio of the interviewer on the door. So peruse when you are waiting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:39 am

r6_philly wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?


Some of them won't show up until the day or two before. And it's likely that some of the interviewers that are listed now will be replaced by a new interviewer a day or two before, or even last minute. Don't get too freaked out about it.


They also generally post the bio of the interviewer on the door. So peruse when you are waiting.

Thanks guys! I was just hoping to make a "cheat sheet" for every interview/interviewer. I'll still do that, but I'll make a mental note to double check the bio on the door.

Also, any advice for dealing with back to back interviews? Or is there nothing I can do except to run? :lol:

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Wholigan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And will the firms that don't have interviewers listed yet show them in the next day or 2, or are there some that might not show us the interviewer until like the day before?


Some of them won't show up until the day or two before. And it's likely that some of the interviewers that are listed now will be replaced by a new interviewer a day or two before, or even last minute. Don't get too freaked out about it.


They also generally post the bio of the interviewer on the door. So peruse when you are waiting.

Thanks guys! I was just hoping to make a "cheat sheet" for every interview/interviewer. I'll still do that, but I'll make a mental note to double check the bio on the door.

Also, any advice for dealing with back to back interviews? Or is there nothing I can do except to run? :lol:


If you can trade out of them do it, but if not don't sweat it too much. Did they go over the system with the paper under the door to notify the 2nd interviewer in a back-to-back? If not, they will at the kick-off meeting. You can alert the second screener in a back-to-back that you have another interview immediately before and CPP tells the employers that you didn't select the times and not to hold it against you if you're late. I was able to have a couple of successful interviews that I was 4-5 minutes late to. I would not rush if you get out of the first one late, take a minute to collect yourself and look over your cheat sheet for the second one, etc. I think if anything, the back to back that I screwed up was the one that I rushed to and got in frazzled. And you probably know this already, but don't look at your watch or tell the first interviewer that you have another one right after unless they ask.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:10 pm

The rooms are so close together, there is no need to rush anyway. If you are late, just politely mention that your last interview was running late. It isn't a big deal, interviewers are well aware of how packed your schedules are.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Actually got a somewhat positive (that is, not an outright rejection... already got around a dozen of those) response to a mass mail I sent to a big Philly firm. Of course, they emailed back asking for my GPA. I guess they haven't gotten the memo that Penn doesn't give us them (or rank). Oh well, at least it wasn't an outright rejection.

ETA: Should I say in my response that we're not even supposed to calculate them ourselves?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Nelson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Actually got a somewhat positive (that is, not an outright rejection... already got around a dozen of those) response to a mass mail I sent to a big Philly firm. Of course, they emailed back asking for my GPA. I guess they haven't gotten the memo that Penn doesn't give us them (or rank). Oh well, at least it wasn't an outright rejection.

ETA: Should I say in my response that we're not even supposed to calculate them ourselves?

Send your transcript.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Nelson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Actually got a somewhat positive (that is, not an outright rejection... already got around a dozen of those) response to a mass mail I sent to a big Philly firm. Of course, they emailed back asking for my GPA. I guess they haven't gotten the memo that Penn doesn't give us them (or rank). Oh well, at least it wasn't an outright rejection.

ETA: Should I say in my response that we're not even supposed to calculate them ourselves?

Send your transcript.

I'd already submitted it. They sent an email back that more or less said "Your GPA isn't anywhere on here, what is it?"

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Nelson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Actually got a somewhat positive (that is, not an outright rejection... already got around a dozen of those) response to a mass mail I sent to a big Philly firm. Of course, they emailed back asking for my GPA. I guess they haven't gotten the memo that Penn doesn't give us them (or rank). Oh well, at least it wasn't an outright rejection.

ETA: Should I say in my response that we're not even supposed to calculate them ourselves?

Send your transcript.

I'd already submitted it. They sent an email back that more or less said "Your GPA isn't anywhere on here, what is it?"

Lulz. Out the firm. I can't believe any local firm wouldn't know about Penn's grading policy. Just tell them that the school doesn't rank or calculate GPAs and refer them to the website I guess. Don't calculate it yourself.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.