Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chadbourne Email Ding

Interviewer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:05 pm

+1

My interviewer was S.D.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1

My interviewer was S.D.

Also dinged by S.D.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Had SD for Chadbourne and haven't heard anything yet. I guess thats a good sign so far, but with my luck I'll get a ding email immediately after I post this message!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Any news from Baker & McKenzie?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Realistically, the only firms I'm waiting to hear form who I think haven't gotten back to anyone about CB's are Morgan Lewis (Philly), DLA Piper, Sidley (NYC), Milbank, and Winston. Has anyone heard anything from any of these?

Morgan Lewis NY gave CBs (unsure Philly), DLA Piper gave cbs, milbank gave cbs. Don't know about Winston.

Morgan Philly and Winston both gave CB's

What interviewer for Winston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Mayer Brown NY?

Bracewell Guliani?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Any movement with White and Case?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 am

Hey everyone. I am really sorry to hear about you guys that haven't gotten call backs. Especially everyone that get screwed by the Section 2 Con law experience. Just remember, that you guys are still at Penn and that will help you the rest of your life. If you have to work somewhere less than ideal for a little bit, and then apply to some of these firms again, no one will care about grades or anything at that point. They will just see that you went to Penn and know you are legit.

I know that this isn't much help at this point. You guys are upset and have every right to be. I am not trying to take you guys out of that, I am just saying that I feel for you, and I sincerely think that you will find your way through this if you are willing to put the work in.

And if you think your problem was not clicking socially, I humbly suggest that you make it a point to go to bar review and other social events this year and force yourself to strike up conversations with people. People go to those type of events to talk to people and make friends, it really does help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone. I am really sorry to hear about you guys that haven't gotten call backs. Especially everyone that get screwed by the Section 2 Con law experience. Just remember, that you guys are still at Penn and that will help you the rest of your life. If you have to work somewhere less than ideal for a little bit, and then apply to some of these firms again, no one will care about grades or anything at that point. They will just see that you went to Penn and know you are legit.

I know that this isn't much help at this point. You guys are upset and have every right to be. I am not trying to take you guys out of that, I am just saying that I feel for you, and I sincerely think that you will find your way through this if you are willing to put the work in.

And if you think your problem was not clicking socially, I humbly suggest that you make it a point to go to bar review and other social events this year and force yourself to strike up conversations with people. People go to those type of events to talk to people and make friends, it really does help.

What happened?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:06 am

visiting prof gave a bunch of discretionary Cs to make a point or some BS. So the people that should have gotten B-s got Cs, people that should have gotten Bs got B-s, etc. I wasn't in that section, I earned my B in con law the old fashion way. But from what I gather that prof was hell bent on screwing over some hardworking students so he could go back to his school and brag about how the penn kids weren't so smart.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:visiting prof gave a bunch of discretionary Cs to make a point or some BS. So the people that should have gotten B-s got Cs, people that should have gotten Bs got B-s, etc. I wasn't in that section, I earned my B in con law the old fashion way. But from what I gather that prof was hell bent on screwing over some hardworking students so he could go back to his school and brag about how the penn kids weren't so smart.

Seriously? I was in that section and had no idea. Got a grade a bit lower than I expected but I figured that was just because it was an easy exam and everyone had done well. Wow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:visiting prof gave a bunch of discretionary Cs to make a point or some BS. So the people that should have gotten B-s got Cs, people that should have gotten Bs got B-s, etc. I wasn't in that section, I earned my B in con law the old fashion way. But from what I gather that prof was hell bent on screwing over some hardworking students so he could go back to his school and brag about how the penn kids weren't so smart.

Seriously? I was in that section and had no idea. Got a grade a bit lower than I expected but I figured that was just because it was an easy exam and everyone had done well. Wow.

DId anyone talk to Clinton about this? What was his take? I feel like this is something the administration would be fairly worried about - and isn't it a fairly hard curve?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DId anyone talk to Clinton about this? What was his take? I feel like this is something the administration would be fairly worried about - and isn't it a fairly hard curve?

AFAIK no. I knew he hated us and it doesn't surprise us that he would try to prove a point with a lot of C's, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pretty sure Cs do not count as part of the curve through, so if several of the lowest grades are taken out, it throws the whole distribution out of whack. Let's say he gave 10 people Cs (I believe it was slightly less than that). While 39th in a class of 80 students would be above average, it would be below average with only 70 students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:

+1.

I had no idea either. Really thought I aced that test - got a decent grade but though it would be much higher. Glad that he gets to brag how dumb we all are, its just our careers that has been ruined.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pretty sure Cs do not count as part of the curve through, so if several of the lowest grades are taken out, it throws the whole distribution out of whack. Let's say he gave 10 people Cs (I believe it was slightly less than that). While 39th in a class of 80 students would be above average, it would be below average with only 70 students.

They may or may not count as part of the curve in terms of being worse than a B- for graduation honors/law review, but employers are not bound by that. Since no GPA is calculated, they can evaluate Cs on the transcript however they wish. Given the usual scarcity of Cs at Penn, it sounds like the visiting prof really screwed some people over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:27 am

Kaye Scholer CB.

Looks like I'll finish with 7 CBs. Slightly above median. Before OCI, I was aiming for about 8, so I think I did about as exactly as well as I thought I would.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

AFAIK no. I knew he hated us and it doesn't surprise us that he would try to prove a point with a lot of C's, though.

FWIW, I know someone who was well above median and had a good number of pre-oci callbacks before getting hit with the con law grade. Since then, he's been dinged by every single firm that he did a cb with. Came out of oci with only one cb. I'm not sure what this visiting prof's goal was, but he did screw some hard-working Penn students over, that's for sure. The worst part is I don't know if Clinton can even do anything about it at this point, oci is over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kaye Scholer CB.

Looks like I'll finish with 7 CBs. Slightly above median. Before OCI, I was aiming for about 8, so I think I did about as exactly as well as I thought I would.

So happy for you.

I'm at median with no cbs. Your point is posting this was what exactly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 pm

DId anyone talk to Clinton about this? What was his take? I feel like this is something the administration would be fairly worried about - and isn't it a fairly hard curve?[/quote]
AFAIK no. I knew he hated us and it doesn't surprise us that he would try to prove a point with a lot of C's, though.[/quote]

FWIW, I know someone who was well above median and had a good number of pre-oci callbacks before getting hit with the con law grade. Since then, he's been dinged by every single firm that he did a cb with. Came out of oci with only one cb. I'm not sure what this visiting prof's goal was, but he did screw some hard-working Penn students over, that's for sure. The worst part is I don't know if Clinton can even do anything about it at this point, oci is over.[/quote]

I nominate someone to write a letter to above the law. Won't help us. But it will stop this professor/ other visiting professors from doing this again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So happy for you.

Not OP, but it does give some sense as to how the process is going. This thread wasn't just for expressing malcontent, and I know I personally used threads like this from prior years to help myself with the process going forward. I don't have nearly as many CBs as I would have liked either, but that doesn't mean it's useless to hear from the people who are shooting par, even if the course is playing harder than anticipated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had SD for Chadbourne and haven't heard anything yet. I guess thats a good sign so far, but with my luck I'll get a ding email immediately after I post this message!

Just got a ding by email. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So happy for you.

Not OP, but it does give some sense as to how the process is going. This thread wasn't just for expressing malcontent, and I know I personally used threads like this from prior years to help myself with the process going forward. I don't have nearly as many CBs as I would have liked either, but that doesn't mean it's useless to hear from the people who are shooting par, even if the course is playing harder than anticipated.

+1. I only have two, and yeah I'm frustrated, but it's good to have as much info as possible

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Reed Smith NYC CB. Interviewer PR

Return to “Legal Employment”