Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No WE other than grad degree. Not a URM. I think I have fairly uncommon and diverse experiences listed on my resume. I also think I interview pretty well. But, I'm still very surprised.

Edit: White dude.

Curious if it's practice area related -- how have you been answering the "which area of law are you interested in" question? and way to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Just curious, why did someone ask if he was a woman? Do women typically do better at OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm

'That guy anon':

I'll try to give an answer to everything. I'm happy to answer any questions. I hope things work out for everyone, really! Keep at it! :

I did have 7 after the first 3 days, although I don't know if I'm 'that guy.'

My CBs are mainly NYC, but some DC.

Also, another thing that helped me immensely was informational interviews. I did at least 30 of them on the phone before OCI. I ended up with 2 interviewers that I had already met via this process and in most of my interviews I was able to mention someone the interviewer knew. Those interviewers I knew from before nearly told me when I walked in that I had a cb. That definitely helped.

I'm aiming for litigation, but I have a particular interest in Antitrust, white collar, and labor/employment. I have fairly significant experience in one of these and experiences on my resume that make the other two very understandable career paths.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:34 pm

12 CBs mostly NYC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, another thing that helped me immensely was informational interviews. I did at least 30 of them on the phone before OCI. I ended up with 2 interviewers that I had already met via this process and in most of my interviews I was able to mention someone the interviewer knew. Those interviewers I knew from before nearly told me when I walked in that I had a cb. That definitely helped.

I wish I had read this two months ago somehow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, another thing that helped me immensely was informational interviews. I did at least 30 of them on the phone before OCI. I ended up with 2 interviewers that I had already met via this process and in most of my interviews I was able to mention someone the interviewer knew. Those interviewers I knew from before nearly told me when I walked in that I had a cb. That definitely helped.

I wish I had read this two months ago somehow.

I spoke to lawyers at most of the firms i interviewed at. Name dropped and everything but no dice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Brown Rudnik?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Kramer Levin?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Orrick NYC CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Skadden Wilmington CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Mayer Brown? Kaye Scholer? Reed Smith?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Orrick NYC CB

Balls, I thought I rocked that interview. Congrats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 am

Median, finished OCI with 2 CB's. I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 more from OCI though because a lot of the firms I interviewed with over the last 3 days don't seem to have given any CB's yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am

Has anyone heard from Goodwin NYC initials LT?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 am

Bottom third. Looking at NYC and Philly. 2 callbacks. 4 rejections. Waiting to hear on the majority. Hoping I eventually get a couple more callbacks, but I feel lucky to have 2 given my grade situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:54 am

5 call backs so far, waiting to hear back from more than half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5 call backs so far, waiting to hear back from more than half.

Basically in this boat too. What markets were you targeting? While I haven't been dinged by many firms, the number of firms that I interviewed with and haven't heard from is much larger than the number of firms that I interviewed with and nobody has heard from - is this your situation too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 pm

NYC only - Median with no call backs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:56 pm

below median, no callbacks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:5 call backs so far, waiting to hear back from more than half.

Basically in this boat too. What markets were you targeting? While I haven't been dinged by many firms, the number of firms that I interviewed with and haven't heard from is much larger than the number of firms that I interviewed with and nobody has heard from - is this your situation too?

Approximately class rank? I'm also waiting to hear back from ~20 interviews, but out of those, I think only 7 or 8 haven't gotten back to anyone (AFAIK, anyway).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Approximately class rank? I'm also waiting to hear back from ~20 interviews, but out of those, I think only 7 or 8 haven't gotten back to anyone (AFAIK, anyway).

I'm not the root OP, I'm the quoted poster. I'm pretty median, targeting NYC. I only had 19 interviews to begin with - I got 3 CBs, 5 rejections, and am waiting on the rest. Of the ones I'm waiting on, there are 8 that I have not heard of extending callbacks yet. I don't know much outside of this thread and very few conversations at OCI though, so it's likely that some of those 8 (if not all/most) have already extended callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not the root OP, I'm the quoted poster. I'm pretty median, targeting NYC. I only had 19 interviews to begin with - I got 3 CBs, 5 rejections, and am waiting on the rest. Of the ones I'm waiting on, there are 8 that I have not heard of extending callbacks yet. I don't know much outside of this thread and very few conversations at OCI though, so it's likely that some of those 8 (if not all/most) have already extended callbacks.

Ah ok, thanks. Same on the bolded, though for me, thats because every conversation I had that mentioned CB's was with people who had one or none. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Top 10-15%. I targeted NYC lightly (some of the V10 really plus 2 Magic Circle), DC heavily, and quite a bit of Palo Alto (plus a few other markets....which means people probably know who I am now :D). Right now I've got 1 NYC V10, 2 large regional V5 offices and the DC offices of 2 V25s. A lot of places I've not heard from have gotten back to people, but have also cut large numbers (but not me; I'm looking at you Davis Polk!). Of the firms I think haven't gotten back to people yet, I'm waiting on Gibson DC, Latham DC, Skadden DC, Fried Frank DC, W&C (plus some other small offices), and a number of firms in Palo Alto (Gunderson and Cooley mainly).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Brown Rudnick Ding by email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brown Rudnick Ding by email.

ditto

Return to “Legal Employment”