Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ding from Paul Hastings, Simpson, and Davis Polk.
No CBs at all so far.

Those are very selective firms. Do you interview with a different range of (less selective) firms?

Don't want to speak for that anon, but I also interviewed with STB and DPW despite knowing I had 0.1% chance because of my grades. They each had 100+ interview slots so basically everyone even remotely interested in working in NYC interviewed with them. STB couldn't even fill all their slots.

Yes everyone interviewed with these firms because why not. In addition interviewed with 23 others which were much less grade selective and nada.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm

"Down stream" firms takes a bit longer to decide generally because of smaller classes, limited budget/quotas, and the fact that it's way earlier in the process so they may let the overqualified candidates interview with their targets first. Most people will turn down "safeties" as soon as they get an offer from a target firm. Then more CB/offer spots will open up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:"Down stream" firms takes a bit longer to decide generally because of smaller classes, limited budget/quotas, and the fact that it's way earlier in the process so they may let the overqualified candidates interview with their targets first. Most people will turn down "safeties" as soon as they get an offer from a target firm. Then more CB/offer spots will open up.

Well I hope you're right. Although plenty of ppl have heard back from these firms already.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:"Down stream" firms takes a bit longer to decide generally because of smaller classes, limited budget/quotas, and the fact that it's way earlier in the process so they may let the overqualified candidates interview with their targets first. Most people will turn down "safeties" as soon as they get an offer from a target firm. Then more CB/offer spots will open up.

Well I hope you're right. Although plenty of ppl have heard back from these firms already.

Well they are going to call back a bunch of people. Some of them will go on CBs, some will not. Then some will get offers. Then some will turn them down. Then the firm will call back some more people and the same thing happens. Yield at mid range firms are not that great, so as long as you have not been rejected, you may still be in a queue to be called back if there is a need.

Think of law school admissions. The people who got calls on the first day don't make the majority of the incoming class, especially outside of the T14.

Also, with some target firms, they may just not be hiring in the area that you expressed interest in (or that they think you would fit well in). It is not transparent so you never know. Just hope for the best and wait until you have heard from everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well they are going to call back a bunch of people. Some of them will go on CBs, some will not. Then some will get offers. Then some will turn them down. Then the firm will call back some more people and the same thing happens. Yield at mid range firms are not that great, so as long as you have not been rejected, you may still be in a queue to be called back if there is a need.

Think of law school admissions. The people who got calls on the first day don't make the majority of the incoming class, especially outside of the T14.

Also, with some target firms, they may just not be hiring in the area that you expressed interest in (or that they think you would fit well in). It is not transparent so you never know. Just hope for the best and wait until you have heard from everyone.

Plenty of dings going out though, from the top firms all the way down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plenty of dings going out though, from the top firms all the way down.

Yeah but r6's point is that until you've actually gotten a ding from a firm, don't count yourself out! Still a possibility (though small, let's be honest) of getting a CB from them.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plenty of dings going out though, from the top firms all the way down.

Yes, even the top firms will only hire Penn students in the single digits. Mid range firms will maybe offer 3-4 and get 1-2. If you are going to call back 15 to offer 5, there are going to be 50-100 dings. Doesn't mean that they are going to give the 15 CB all in one shot. The majority of OCI is going to be dings. I got maybe 5-6 CBs out of 30 screeners at OCI which turned into 3 offers. That means I got 25 dings from all range of firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:49 pm

That's what worries me. I've gotten 9 (!!) dings so far, yeah most of them so far were reaches but 3 of them should be my target for median grades. Still waiting to hear back from 10, and luckily I have a couple CBs from the pre-OCI stuff but it's getting really hard to not be super worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

That's what worries me. I've gotten 9 (!!) dings so far, yeah most of them so far were reaches but 3 of them should be my target for median grades. Still waiting to hear back from 10, and luckily I have a couple CBs from the pre-OCI stuff but it's getting really hard to not be super worried.

No need to be super stressed then! Obviously you still have to get an offer, but don't be super worried!

FWIW, I think I've gotten around 10 dings out of ~35 interviews. Just counted and I still have 24 firms that I haven't heard back from, though I think around 15 of them have given at least some CB's.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:54 pm

If you want anecdotes:

- I received two callback invitations in Oct., after I have accepted an offer (these are not counted in above)
- One offer was from a CB given 2-3 weeks after the screener
- One CB I went on never rejected me. They asked for an status update late September and never got back to me again
- Two CBs took more than 1 month to reach a decision
- The offer I took, which is from a large NYC firm, CB came the next day, and offer came the day after CB. So I think less selective firms with smallish classes will take longer for everything. YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Covington and Simpson rejection. Expected but it still sucks. No word on DPW for me yet though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 pm

So OCI is over for me with no cbs. Now what?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So OCI is over for me with no cbs. Now what?

Wait for one to come. Mass mail (not too late right now). Look into alternative summers (in-house/gov). There are also OCI interviews in Sept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:46 pm

Any Brown Rudnick?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Any word from Goodwin NY or Latham NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Goodwin NY or Latham NY?

I got a CB from Latham NY today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Pepper ding by email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Skadden Palo Alto today. (....which may out me! Huzzah!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Goodwin NY or Latham NY?

I got a CB from Latham NY today

What interviewer for Latham NYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:03 pm

If I haven't heard from Skadden NYC is it a wrap?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Anyone hear from Hogan? Akin? Orrick? NYC offices. Or MLB Philly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Hogan? Akin? Orrick? NYC offices. Or MLB Philly?

I got a Hogan NYC cb today...haven't heard from the others

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:43 pm

What about Sidley NYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about Sidley NYC?

Haven't heard a thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 pm

how are people doing in terms of number of callbacks?

Return to “Legal Employment”