Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone else have no call backs yet?

Try tweaking your strategy if you think something might be hindering you. We're only halfway

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Try tweaking your strategy if you think something might be hindering you. We're only halfway

I have below average grades. Everyone yelling in the halls about their CBs, at least that I've noticed, are people that obviously have high grades.

Are people with lackluster grades getting CBs already too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have below average grades. Everyone yelling in the halls about their CBs, at least that I've noticed, are people that obviously have high grades.

Speaking from both my experience thus far and those I know in similar situations, only one or two atm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. I'm below median and I've gotten a couple. As someone else suggested, maybe speak to CPP about your strategy. Also, it may be partially caused by the market that you're targeting. Are you mainly NY or other cities (apparently it is easier to get in NY)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Change my strategy?! Should I stop researching the firms, being personable, talking about my experiences? Which one?

This is what I feel like when people say to "tweak my strategy."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Change my strategy?! Should I stop researching the firms, being personable, talking about my experiences? Which one?

There are some things you may be doing that could be hindering you, even if you are knowledgeable, personable, and talkative.

Namely, you could be expressing interest in a practice area that the firm doesn't really have a need for (like saying you want to do soft IP or environmental). Make sure you research where the firm takes the most associates and don't needlessly paint yourself into some niche.

Furthermore, you could be asking the wrong questions. Many interviewers seem to evaluate in part based on the questions you ask them--make sure you are asking stimulating and thoughtful questions.

You could be talking about your experiences in a way that doesn't help you. Make sure you are characterizing your experiences in a way that highlights the stuff interviewers are looking for.

Also, you could just be more awkward than you think you are. If you haven't done any mock interviews, schedule one asap and make sure you aren't making some interpersonal communication mistake you aren't even aware of.

Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Heard that Lowenstein went out last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I need better questions. I feel mine have actually been getting worse as my brain fries and all the firms blur together, and I don't seem to get CBs from quiet interviews where I have to ask a lot of them. CP&P's list of suggested questions is pretty meh - I mean, "tell me about your firm's expected areas of growth"? Really? - so if anyone has any TLS gems they'd like to share, that'd be awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

lmao +1

i've received nothing but positive interview feedback but with top 75% or so grades, a big part of me is wondering if maybe all these CBs going out are just the most desirable people first? (Top grades, minority, extraordinary WE, strong ties to smaller market, etc...) Maybe after these people turn down 6 out of 7 of their offers there would be a second round of CBs later... or maybe just wishful thinking

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lmao +1

i've received nothing but positive interview feedback but with top 75% or so grades, a big part of me is wondering if maybe all these CBs going out are just the most desirable people first? (Top grades, minority, extraordinary WE, strong ties to smaller market, etc...) Maybe after these people turn down 6 out of 7 of their offers there would be a second round of CBs later... or maybe just wishful thinking

Wondering the same thing. I'm in the same good position gradewise and in terms of positive interview feedback, but while I've gotten a bunch of regional CBs I've only gotten a single NY callback. It's pretty disconcerting after an entire week of OCI, and I have no idea what to tweak about my approach.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lmao +1

Wondering the same thing. I'm in the same good position gradewise and in terms of positive interview feedback, but while I've gotten a bunch of regional CBs I've only gotten a single NY callback. It's pretty disconcerting after an entire week of OCI, and I have no idea what to tweak about my approach.

I think the problem is that we can't tweak our grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:[quote="Anonymous User"

I think the problem is that we can't tweak our grades.[/quote]

Eh, it's not the grades I think. I've gotten 2 NYC CBs so far with top 15% grades and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I got 2 CBs my first day and since then, silence. And I've got no idea what to change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:48 am

There is a pretty significant number of firms who interviewed last week and have not sent out CBs yet... So I think panicking is the wrong course of action right now. Self reflection on interview performance and mass mailing never hurt anyone though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 am

Good luck today guys, we got this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Good luck today guys, we got this.

Hell yeah. #collegiality

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:58 am

Cadwalader CB from LP. Don't lose hope - they're still coming in!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Heard that Lowenstein went out last week.

anyone else hear that too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Anyone still waiting on NYC CBs from last week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone still waiting on NYC CBs from last week?

Still waiting on:

Cleary, S.W.

Simpson Thacher, J.L.

Akin Gump, can't remember the interviewer's initials

Assuming they're dings

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Anyone hear anything from Sidley NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Hunton & Williams CB, Miami, (there was only one set of interviewers for the office)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Anyone hear from Pillsbury?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Callback- Akin Gump DC, E.P., phone call

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Sidley NY?

Talked with one of my screeners today. They've got no idea on time frame.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Callback- Orrick NY, I.A., phone call

Return to “Legal Employment”