Penn OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:17 pm

What was with this Weil dinner tonight I'm hearing about? Is it like the Paul Weiss CB dinner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Baker & Hostetler NYC - Anybody?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear back from Duane (interviewer initials LE)?
Yeah. I had LE. Got a callback by email this evening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Cravath

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems like its going to be a really bad OCI/Recruiting seasons. Sucks.
I think its way too early to judge, but who knows. I "only" have 1 CB so far, but I'll honestly be happy if I end up with 4-5 since I'm around median.
I know people very much below median with 4-5. I think most people have the grades to get some callbacks, the rest depends on how you present yourself.

Also some people didn't get anything until after all the OCI interviews are over, it really depends on the firms you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 am

You know people well below median that got 4-5 cbs after 2 days?! Well then FML, and please don't post those things anymore. Youre not helping.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:You know people well below median that got 4-5 cbs after 2 days?! Well then FML, and please don't post those things anymore. Youre not helping.
Overall. Change your strategy if you think it's not going well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:13 am

5 CBs. Not far off from median.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Linklaters
CB, I assume you mean?
Yea

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 am

Change my strategy?! Should I stop researching the firms, being personable, talking about my experiences? Which one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Change my strategy?! Should I stop researching the firms, being personable, talking about my experiences? Which one?
I'm also right above median with 5 CBs. I haven't heard much from non-NY firms, so if you aren't aiming for NY, then don't worry too much. Even if it is NY you want, it has only been 2 days. But, here is what worked for me:
Relax. Be very personable, laugh, smile, etc. and don't spend too much time beforehand researching the firms - get what practice areas you're interested in, anything really obvious (e.g. Jones day '1 Firm...'), and what the interviewer does in case there are any connections you can focus on. Otherwise, just present yourself well - that may include talking extensively about your experiences or not - presentation counts more than substance at a certain point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Change my strategy?! Should I stop researching the firms, being personable, talking about my experiences? Which one?
I'm also right above median with 5 CBs. I haven't heard much from non-NY firms, so if you aren't aiming for NY, then don't worry too much. Even if it is NY you want, it has only been 2 days. But, here is what worked for me:
Relax. Be very personable, laugh, smile, etc. and don't spend too much time beforehand researching the firms - get what practice areas you're interested in, anything really obvious (e.g. Jones day '1 Firm...'), and what the interviewer does in case there are any connections you can focus on. Otherwise, just present yourself well - that may include talking extensively about your experiences or not - presentation counts more than substance at a certain point.
(Different anon, I'm the one with 1 CB so far)
I feel like I've been doing all this, and honestly am surprised since I thought I'd have 2-4 so far since I'm doing mostly NYC and have had interviews with a lot of "gettable" (IMO) firms so far. At this point, either my interviewing skills aren't as good as I thought (I always thought I was good, but not great), or maybe my K-JD status is really hurting me. Who knows. Its still early, so I'm definitely not in panic mode or anything, but it would be nice to get another CB or 2 today...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am

Median here, only interviewed with NYC firms. So far only 1 CB, had 4 interviews wed, 5 yesterday. We'll see what today brings...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:21 am

Baker Hostetler email ding. No surprise there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Potentially dumb question: The person I interviewed with left me a voicemail, giving me another number to call to schedule a callback. Do I call back my interviewer as well to say thanks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah, way above median here. A few NYC firms, a lot of DC. 7 Wednesday, 7 yesterday, only 1 CB so far. I seem to have had a lot of good interviews and have great experience so I'm wondering what's going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:22 pm

About median and I only have one CB through OCI also (targeting NY). I got positive feedback from both interviewers when I did the mock interviews so...I'm still missing something, I guess. I'm sure it depends to some extent on which firms you interviewed with, but I know some of the firms that I interviewed with have given CBs. At least no dings through OCI yet either, though I fully expect a DPW/STB ding posthaste. I would not have even tried if they didn't have so many interview slots.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About median and I only have one CB through OCI also (targeting NY). I got positive feedback from both interviewers when I did the mock interviews so...I'm still missing something, I guess. I'm sure it depends to some extent on which firms you interviewed with, but I know some of the firms that I interviewed with have given CBs. At least no dings through OCI yet either, though I fully expect a DPW/STB ding posthaste. I would not have even tried if they didn't have so many interview slots.
Haha same, which kinda sucks since I really liked my DPW interviewer and it was one of my best interviews yet.

Also, anyone know whats up with Cahill? Just noticed they had 60 interview slots last year (I won't say the callback/offer numbers publicly, but they were pretty decent last year), but only have 20 this year. I guess they're just planning on having a real small summer class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Some tips from one of the recruiting folks:

1) Don't talk about your grades out loud. If you mention how well you did in a class, you will look like a douche (unless of course you're asked about it... but don't insert it into conversation).

2) Take note of your audience and watch what you're saying. If, for example, you want to go into litigation, don't talk about how much corporate sucks where corporate attorneys will hear you.

3) Go to the restroom and check up on yourself everyone once in a while if, e.g., you get sweaty when nervous or your fly is down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mind sharing which firms? Wondering if you got pretty much all the firms mentioned so far or if there are other firms that have made calls.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Everyone is doing the same thing, what's making you standout? Find something someway to help you look better than the next person who researched firms, is personable, and talk about their experiences. You have maybe 10 minutes to present yourself, maybe try to focus on parts that you didn't choose to present before. You really don't know what they want anyway, so switch it around a bit, don't just go with the same old lines if they haven't been very fruitful.

ETA: I have a lot of interview experience (as an interviewer), I think most applicants are way off on assessing what works and what doesn't.
Last edited by r6_philly on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Potentially dumb question: The person I interviewed with left me a voicemail, giving me another number to call to schedule a callback. Do I call back my interviewer as well to say thanks?
It's always good form to say thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Median, dinged by Kirkland and Ellis (NY) by email.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Below median, email ding from Stroock.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:27 pm

What are the interviewer's initials from Stroock?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”