Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Should Philadelphia/Pennsylvania Bar Association memberships - or just Philly - go on our resume, or is that purely conversational fodder?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:43 am

Hey, would anyone experienced be willing to check out my bid list? Late I know but I would still love any comments anyone might have.

Instead of copying it again here, here is a link to the thread. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=232548

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should Philadelphia/Pennsylvania Bar Association memberships - or just Philly - go on our resume, or is that purely conversational fodder?

I also am interested in the answer to this question

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should Philadelphia/Pennsylvania Bar Association memberships - or just Philly - go on our resume, or is that purely conversational fodder?

If someone asks about it do you have something to say other than "I went to a couple happy hours"? If not, what's the point of having it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am

Nelson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If someone asks about it do you have something to say other than "I went to a couple happy hours"? If not, what's the point of having it?

Just seeking clarification about:
skump wrote:Yeah, well... CP&P says a lot of things that aren't exactly true.

I have several friends who work at Philly firms, and they would all offer the same advice: Treat Philly as a secondary market at your peril if that's where you actually want to be.

Philly firms know that NYC is the primary market for Penn students. They also know that most students will regionally diversify their lower rank bids in an attempt to maximize their employment odds. IOW, Philly firms know that the typical Penn student will reject a Philly offer if a market-paying NYC offer is on tap.

If you go into OCI without a solid narrative about why you want to be in Philly, you are very likely to end OCI without an offer at a Philly firm. Here's something else Philly firms know: Law students are pretty good liars. This means that a solid narrative has its foundation in facts relevant to employment, not your youthful enthusiasm and attested love for Bubba Q:

1) If you haven't already, join the local Bar association, immediately.
2) Attend attorney events in Philly; network, network, network, network.
3) Reach out to attorneys at Philly firms. Ask them if they're available for a phone call or lunch to discuss their experiences (you should really be doing this for every firm you're seriously interested in, anyway; the insights and connections you gain from networking will make it far easier to establish rapport with a firm's reps during OCI).
4) Scrutinize your resume, in the most uncharitable light possible, for anything suggests Philly isn't your primary market.
5) Be prepared for the inevitable question, "so what other markets are you looking at?" Have a damn good follow up if that answer consists of something other than "none."

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 am

The point is to network. It's not a meaningful qualification since anyone can join.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just seeking clarification about:
skump wrote:
1) If you haven't already, join the local Bar association, immediately.
2) Attend attorney events in Philly; network, network, network, network.
3) Reach out to attorneys at Philly firms. Ask them if they're available for a phone call or lunch to discuss their experiences (you should really be doing this for every firm you're seriously interested in, anyway; the insights and connections you gain from networking will make it far easier to establish rapport with a firm's reps during OCI).
4) Scrutinize your resume, in the most uncharitable light possible, for anything suggests Philly isn't your primary market.
5) Be prepared for the inevitable question, "so what other markets are you looking at?" Have a damn good follow up if that answer consists of something other than "none."

There is no value to the bar association. Any student in town can join for like $20. Networking can be helpful, just so that you can mention that you spoke with someone at the interview, but nobody is going to go out of their way for you unless you make one hell of a strong connection. Odds of that happening over a 15 minute phone call are slim. It's always nice for the interviewer to hear that you spoke with someone they know from the firm though.

4 and 5 are the big ones. Just going to school in Philly likely won't cut it. Every firm in town knows that Penn students tend to go to NY, even when they have strong Philly ties, because they can always come back to Philly later. You are going to have to make a strong case for why they would not be wasting an offer on you. Philly firms don't have the wiggle room that NY firms have in terms of yield on offers. They need the right number of associates. If they extend too many offers to Penn people that they don't convert to SAs, they lose out on other qualified people from other schools that would almost certainly accept. If they extend more offers to other schools to try and counterbalance the predicted Penn yield, they run the risk of overbooking their class--which is when you see no-offers.

That's why the Philly market is tough for Penn people. You need to convince them that you are going to stay. How do you do that? I managed it and still don't have any real tangible input as to what was convincing. And then I went to NY anyway, thus perpetuating this cycle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Bid list results just came out...

Got 27 interviews, 22 of my top 25
Missed on:
Gibson Dunn (DC) at 7
WilmerHale (DC) at 17
Arnold & Porter (DC) at 22

Also how does the waitlist process work? And I remember hearing that students could trade interviews on the Student Commons...is that still a thing/was it ever?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bid list results just came out...

Missed on:
Gibson Dunn (DC) at 7
WilmerHale (DC) at 17

Also how does the waitlist process work? And I remember hearing that students could trade interviews on the Student Commons...is that still a thing/was it ever?

Relevant to my interests. I'm pretty disappointed actually, tried to bid strategically and missed some firms I really wanted. Not looking forward to the mass mail gamble if there's a way of trading.

Waitlist doesn't seem to be working, at least not in the way instructed by CP&P's email. I don't see the "Opt-In" button they describe at all.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:47 pm

opt-in to your waitlist interviews but don't expect to get them

always peruse the firms with open slots now to see if there's one you like and maybe just take an interview (I took two interviews on open slots of firms that had their interviews on the first day because I wanted the interview practice, for example)

trading is definitely a thing and I definitely suggest doing so

CPP won't let you do back-to-back interviews so you may need to bring in a third person to swap interview times as well

during my year I set up an epic four-team trade where I gave away 3 interviews for firms I didn't care about and received 4 (2 of which I cared about) haha; the possibilities are endless

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bid list results just came out...

Missed on:
Gibson Dunn (DC) at 7
WilmerHale (DC) at 17

Relevant to my interests. I'm pretty disappointed actually, tried to bid strategically and missed some firms I really wanted. Not looking forward to the mass mail gamble if there's a way of trading.

Waitlist doesn't seem to be working, at least not in the way instructed by CP&P's email. I don't see the "Opt-In" button they describe at all.

Waitlist for firms I've already bid + Bids 61-80 are unavailable to me as well at the moment.

And to add my bid results, bidding majority NYC with a few secondary market firms near the top of my list, I went 20/60.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Where do we trade interviews on Symplicity? Can we already do that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where do we trade interviews on Symplicity? Can we already do that?

Here's where we post offers, I presume, but IDK how we actually trade: https://goat.law.upenn.edu/cf/classifie ... ategory=41

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where do we trade interviews on Symplicity? Can we already do that?

The waitlist option isn't work for me yet either. And how do we see which firms have open slots?

Also since everyone will pretty much be anon it may be helpful for everyone to pick a handle to sign their anonymous posts with so that we can keep track of one another.

--Tyrion

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The waitlist option isn't work for me yet either. And how do we see which firms have open slots?

Also since everyone will pretty much be anon it may be helpful for everyone to pick a handle to sign their anonymous posts with so that we can keep track of one another.

--Tyrion

Chiming in to echo that I can't access the wait list option. It doesn't matter right now any way, because it all depends on where we bid, not when.

24/60 bids with a lot of New York and some secondary markets. We got this, everyone.

--Regular type dude with a big-ass d*ck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

23/60 here... Only 17 or so out of my top 25. Bummer, since I didn't get most of the DC firms I wanted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--Tyrion

Chiming in to echo that I can't access the wait list option. It doesn't matter right now any way, because it all depends on where we bid, not when.

24/60 bids with a lot of New York and some secondary markets. We got this, everyone.

Are you sure? On symplicity at the top instead of clicking on scheduled interviews click on employers/bidding. That should bring up your bid list and next to the bid it will either say scheduled or opt-in, meaning opt-in for the waitlist.

- Yak

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--Tyrion

Are you sure? On symplicity at the top instead of clicking on scheduled interviews click on employers/bidding. That should bring up your bid list and next to the bid it will either say scheduled or opt-in, meaning opt-in for the waitlist.

- Yak

Nope, tried this multiple times. No Opt-In button. Also can't bid 61-80 on the firms I didn't bid initially.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm

They'll get it working eventually, Symplicity is janky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

- Yak

Nope, tried this multiple times. No Opt-In button. Also can't bid 61-80 on the firms I didn't bid initially.

ETA:

- Colt

The way I understand it, pressing Opt-In on a firm you've already bid places you ahead of anyone who bid them 61-80.

Ex: A bids a firm 21 and opts-in, B bids a firm 61 after the fact. One slot opens. A gets it.

Is this correct?

--
Toby Keith

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Yes, but you aren't going to get jack from 61+ except maybe patent pros shops.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Penn Bull/Nelson, how do you assign your interview to someone else?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Penn Bull/Nelson, how do you assign your interview to someone else?

email cpp and CC the person you're trading w/ (or just giving away)

penn278

Postby penn278 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm

21/60 here- 12 DC and 9 NY. Also would love an explanation of how to trade bids or get bids from people who don't want them anymore. Something about commons? :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:23/60 here... Only 17 or so out of my top 25. Bummer, since I didn't get most of the DC firms I wanted

Which DC firms did you miss out on? I have a few I might be willing to trade for Philly firms, especially Pepper and Cozen.

--Brady

Return to “Legal Employment”