Penn OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Diamond

Re: Penn OCI

Post by PennBull » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Employers won't have any more of a clue than we do.
They have a clue.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:15 am

Nelson wrote:Also a good rule of thumb for DC is that if you feel like you don't have the grades for DC, you probably should trust your instinct and focus on NYC.
Yep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 am

Nelson wrote:Also a good rule of thumb for DC is that if you feel like you don't have the grades for DC, you probably should trust your instinct and focus on NYC.
i know i'm trolling but i can't access the cpp website for some reason(my pennkey is bing rejected)

What would sort a good rule of thumb minimum gpa for being competitive with DC firms be? Without DC being reaches or seemingly wasting bids ofcourse. Above 3.5 (wilmer gpa if i remember correctly)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
i know i'm trolling but i can't access the cpp website for some reason(my pennkey is bing rejected)

What would sort a good rule of thumb minimum gpa for being competitive with DC firms be? Without DC being reaches or seemingly wasting bids ofcourse. Above 3.5 (wilmer gpa if i remember correctly)
I'm kind of curious where this line of questioning is going...isn't it too late to be focusing on where you are competitive? Interview schedules have already been released...

--Tyrion

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 am

....which is why i apologized for trolling beforehand

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:....which is why i apologized for trolling beforehand
Wilmer DC
http://imgur.com/yE7kxTI

guess I'm not allowed to post images but there you go

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm

How much are we expected to know about each firm during OCI? What should we know about them other than their main practice areas?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much are we expected to know about each firm during OCI? What should we know about them other than their main practice areas?
Enough to articulate why you are interested in that firm as opposed to the other 100 firms.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:36 pm

OutCold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much are we expected to know about each firm during OCI? What should we know about them other than their main practice areas?
Enough to articulate why you are interested in that firm as opposed to the other 100 firms.
Yeah just knowing things they've done recently was good enough for me. I either used the Chambers Associate profiles or looked up the recent deals/cases listed under the interviewer's firm profile.

Also, name dropping a couple people who work there that you've spoken to always helped. "I spoke with X associate about Y, I found it [positive adjective], do you know anything about it?" usually conveyed to the interviewer I had done my homework

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Best thing to do is be able to say you've spoken to people who've worked there. It's pretty much impossible to differentiate based on internet research.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:54 am

I think the tactic that worked the best for me was to pick one semi-unique characteristic of the firm (preferably one they like to talk up) and hammer on it through all my interviews, including callbacks. It even works for stupid things. Latham, the way you include associates in the management of your firm is just swell because I like some semblance of control and transparency in my career. Jones Day, I love your new lawyer's group because I know I want corporate but having flexibility to try everything is ever so important to me. Boies, the entrepreneurial spirit and ability to be rewarded for the business I can bring in appeals the hustler in me. Cravath, the idea of being paired with a partner for 2-year rotations and being able to learn from a master while tending to his every whim and desire just sounds so terrific--mentors are cool. Quinn, I love wearing sandals to work and pretending I'm at a start-up while I bide my time until I burn out. Weil, bankruptcy intrigues me when you aren't laying people off.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:57 am

Also, at callbacks, talk about something the last interviewer told you. Works like a charm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:53 am

Is it worth sending a quick email to update firms on secondary journal placement, like "Please find attached my resume updated to reflect acceptance to the University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Puppies"? Or is that just drawing the firm's attention to the fact that you didn't make law review.

I'm specifically talking about firms we didn't get interviews with through OCI bidding.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth sending a quick email to update firms on secondary journal placement, like "Please find attached my resume updated to reflect acceptance to the University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Puppies"? Or is that just drawing the firm's attention to the fact that you didn't make law review.

I'm specifically talking about firms we didn't get interviews with through OCI bidding.
Yeah it can't hurt. I did to some of the smaller firms I mailed.

CaptainQuaker

New

Post by CaptainQuaker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Looking to trade Simpson Thatcher (nyc) for K&L Gates (nyc) or Linklaters (nyc). PM me if interested.

penn278

New

Post by penn278 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Did anyone else pick up a bunch of interviews off of waitlists? I didn't expect to get any and got 6 more (27 total now). Thinking I may want to trade some off.

CPP said more than 25 is too much. Any thoughts from you guys who have been through it before?

Penn16

New

Post by Penn16 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:40 pm

penn278 wrote:Did anyone else pick up a bunch of interviews off of waitlists? I didn't expect to get any and got 6 more (27 total now). Thinking I may want to trade some off.

CPP said more than 25 is too much. Any thoughts from you guys who have been through it before?
I got 2 more off the WL, and am now sitting at about 30, so I'm also interested in this. also, penn278, if any of the ones you're thinking of dropping are DC and/or you want NY, feel free to pm me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PennBrady

New

Post by PennBrady » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:59 pm

If anyone's looking to drop any Philly or DC firms, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll happily take any freebies. Alternatively I have a few NY slots I'd be willing to trade.

Oh, and I apparently got City of Philadelphia Law Department off the wait list by sheer accident, so I'm happy to give that away to any gov/PI gunners who might be interested.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:05 pm

penn278 wrote:Did anyone else pick up a bunch of interviews off of waitlists? I didn't expect to get any and got 6 more (27 total now). Thinking I may want to trade some off.

You can do that many. It'll make for some busy days but it's doable. You're gonna be locked in the complex for those days anyway, might as well make the most of it.

pennoci2014

New

Post by pennoci2014 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 pm

I am looking to trade some Boston offices. PM me if you are interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Nelson wrote:

You can do that many. It'll make for some busy days but it's doable. You're gonna be locked in the complex for those days anyway, might as well make the most of it.
Is 32 suicidal? Should I stop picking up open slots?
One of the panelists last semester said he managed to snag 48 or something, attended almost all of them, and wound up with 15 offers to choose from. The other panelists seemed to think he was insane FWIW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nelson wrote:

One of the panelists last semester said he managed to snag 48 or something, attended almost all of them, and wound up with 15 offers to choose from. The other panelists seemed to think he was insane FWIW.
Depends. If you have baller grades, reducing the number saves energy for callbacks and lets you focus on the firms you really want to go to. If you're median or below, 48 might not be enough. Also depends what markets those firms are in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Nelson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Depends. If you have baller grades, reducing the number saves energy for callbacks and lets you focus on the firms you really want to go to. If you're median or below, 48 might not be enough. Also depends what markets those firms are in.
Little over 1/3 NY, little under 2/3 tough regional market. Grades are comfortably above median but not LR grade-on comfortably.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 pm

To above poster, IMO do them all. Don't cancel interviews until you have an offer in hand is a good general rule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Is anybody else having trouble signing up for open interviews? I am following the directions in the email CPP sent out, but the dates aren't displayed as buttons like they said.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”