Penn OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 am

Is it safe to say if you don't hear back from a big NY firm in a week it's a de facto ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it safe to say if you don't hear back from a big NY firm in a week it's a de facto ding?
Not necessarily. I got an offer almost two weeks post-CB at Kaye Scholer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Does anyone have any info out of Wilmington?

Specifically Young Conaway and Skadden?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info out of Wilmington?

not a Penn student but know of two Skadden offers at my school I heard that Young Conaway was starting cb next week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

not a Penn student but know of two Skadden offers at my school I heard that Young Conaway was starting cb next week
Can I ask what school and when the offers went out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:07 am

Does anyone have some hopeful words about DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Just got a Young Conaway snail mail ding (from OCI screener) yesterday.

Also just got a rejection from my last CB. I've officially struck out. Fuck. Don't even know what to do now. Guess I'll keep mass mailing, but already sent ~200 (everywhere in Philly and NYC I could find so far) so who knows.

sopranorleone

Bronze

Post by sopranorleone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Also just got a rejection from my last CB. I've officially struck out. Fuck. Don't even know what to do now. Guess I'll keep mass mailing, but already sent ~200 (everywhere in Philly and NYC I could find so far) so who knows.
Hang in there man. So sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:19 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks... I just don't even know what to do now. Guess I'll meet with CPP and see if they can give me any advice (unlikely but who knows).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sopranorleone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks... I just don't even know what to do now. Guess I'll meet with CPP and see if they can give me any advice (unlikely but who knows).
Expand your mailing, ASAP. Apply to small and midsize firms in every market you could conceivably stretch a tie to, and even those you can't. The absolute worst thing you can do now is stop mailing and applying. Read through this thread and get cracking--http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178520.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1. Mass mailed too many firms to count - nothing. Sucks. Met with CPP. Told me to network and apply by email. THANKS.

The worst will be everyone asking us where were working

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1. Mass mailed too many firms to count - nothing. Sucks. Met with CPP. Told me to network and apply by email. THANKS.

Also struck out today. Rejected from my last call back. I still have to hear from a couple screeners, but at this point I consider myself struck out. I don't really give a fuck what people will think. They probably will want to avoid the awkwardness as much as I do. The worst is that I don't know how my "career" will recover at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also struck out today. Rejected from my last call back. I still have to hear from a couple screeners, but at this point I consider myself struck out. I don't really give a fuck what people will think. They probably will want to avoid the awkwardness as much as I do. The worst is that I don't know how my "career" will recover at this point.
Yeah this. I'm not nearly as worried about what my peers think (people here are chill anyway, so its whatever) as my career. :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Post cb news from chadbourne? Interviewed about a week and a half ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also struck out. awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No. This is not the worst. Nobody, and I mean nobody at the school will think less of you. Everyone will be sympathetic. Sympathy is not pity. You don't need pity. You will still find something and it will be something that even top 10% students at over 100 other law schools would absolutely KILL FOR.

This may force a change of plans. It may not. You may be able to get a perfectly good position at a firm still. At worst, you may end up finding you need to change your plans. Don't forget that Penn's LRAP is terrific. LRAP + PI can be comparable (post taxes) to big law on a $ per hour basis, depending on where you go. Of course, it's not like PI is easy to get, my point is just that you have a world of options and at worst one very specific door is being closed. Most people last, 3-4 years in big law and flee. After that, you will be a Penn Law graduate with 3-4 years of experience doing something cool. The long picture isn't a bad one.

Hang in there. Keep hustling. People DO find jobs through mass mailing. People really seriously do find jobs through networking. Good luck.

If your really uncomfortable, think about a one liner to tell people where you stand when they ask. "I dont know what i'm doing yet" should be good enough for everyone. But maybe you would be happier with a better line. Finally, keep in mind, people will ask your plans because they are curious--and any reaction after that will be because we all care about our class mates. It could have happened to ANY of us and we all know it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No. This is not the worst. Nobody, and I mean nobody at the school will think less of you. Everyone will be sympathetic. Sympathy is not pity. You don't need pity. You will still find something and it will be something that even top 10% students at over 100 other law schools would absolutely KILL FOR.

This may force a change of plans. It may not. You may be able to get a perfectly good position at a firm still. At worst, you may end up finding you need to change your plans. Don't forget that Penn's LRAP is terrific. LRAP + PI can be comparable (post taxes) to big law on a $ per hour basis, depending on where you go. Of course, it's not like PI is easy to get, my point is just that you have a world of options and at worst one very specific door is being closed. Most people last, 3-4 years in big law and flee. After that, you will be a Penn Law graduate with 3-4 years of experience doing something cool. The long picture isn't a bad one.

Hang in there. Keep hustling. People DO find jobs through mass mailing. People really seriously do find jobs through networking. Good luck.

If your really uncomfortable, think about a one liner to tell people where you stand when they ask. "I dont know what i'm doing yet" should be good enough for everyone. But maybe you would be happier with a better line. Finally, keep in mind, people will ask your plans because they are curious--and any reaction after that will be because we all care about our class mates. It could have happened to ANY of us and we all know it.
THIS.

Also, speaking as one of your classmates I think I care more that people are genuinely excited about their summer than about the perceived prestige of what they're doing. Find something you're actually passionate about: a group of clients, a practice area, the type of work you'll be doing. It'll show when you're actually enthusiastic about something, and in the long run you'll end up building a career to be proud of in it's own right. If you're actually excited about what you do, no one will care that you didn't summer at <insert Super Biglaw Firm Name here>.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:30 am

I would Like to add myself to the strike out list.

Kind of hard to do my edit now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 am

Still haven't heard from my chadbourne screener. Any hope?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would Like to add myself to the strike out list.

Are you on LR? What journal is making you do an edit right now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would Like to add myself to the strike out list.

Are you on LR? What journal is making you do an edit right now?
Not OP, but yes, LR has us on the second edit already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 am

Are there people on law review having trouble getting offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:31 am

Not OP, but I'm on JCL and we are also already doing edits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I'm on JCL and we are also already doing edits.
Interesting. I knew LR moved quick, wasn't sure about the other ones. My journal just moves slow then, I guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 am

Journals suck, Especially after striking out

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”