Mayer Brown DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AttyDC

Mayer Brown DC

Postby AttyDC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 am

Does anyone have an opinion about how Mayer Brown DC's litigation practice compares to lit at the major DC players: Covington, Wilmer, A&P, etc.? Would it be odd to choose MB DC over those firms?

Obviously, MB's appellate practice is well-known. But how about exit opportunities to government? I assume that the established DC firms have stronger ties to DOJ, but I've been told that the whole concept of "exit opportunities" is overblown. (What you actually do and who you end up working with matter much more than firm name.)

I'm wrapping up an appellate clerkship and am thinking about post-clerkship employment.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Mayer Brown DC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Bump. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Final bump. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 pm

So I haven't worked at MB but I have two close friends who did, both in some mix of general litigation and appellate work in DC. I talked to them a lot during the time I was considering a similar decision.

My conclusion was that the only reason to go to MB over those other firms was if you wanted to do as much appellate work as possible. It sounded like it was a pretty miserable work environment during the down turn. Everyone gives Latham shit for firing everyone at once but at MB they had a bunch of rounds of layoffs so people lived in constant fear of being next.

There was also a dynamic where the people who were "good" were way overworked because they were afraid to say no to things and then there were people who were terrified because they were being frozen out.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because it was during the worst of the economic woes.

But honestly, even if I hadn't heard those things about them--which admittedly could be overblown and out of date--the three other firms all have top notch reputations in DC. Covington can be a little weird socially, depending on your personality etc.

I hope some of this is helpful. I probably would have let other, more knowledgeable people speak instead but no one has yet so I thought I'd say what I've heard. Good luck. Either way, it's a good problem to have.

AttyDC

Postby AttyDC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks very much for the input, and for the interesting link, which will likely generate some MB chatter on this site ...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Final bump regarding the New Republic article.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 am

Anybody else have a Mayer Brown CB? When? (Mine was in the middle of last week.) Heard anything? (I haven't, was told to expect something this week.)

I really loved the firm and the people, so I'm hoping it works out, alarmist New Republic articles notwithstanding.

maximator

Postby maximator » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Final bump regarding the New Republic article.

There was a thread discussing it. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=213531. HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else have a Mayer Brown CB? When? (Mine was in the middle of last week.) Heard anything? (I haven't, was told to expect something this week.)

I really loved the firm and the people, so I'm hoping it works out, alarmist New Republic articles notwithstanding.

And I'm going to bump with this again, if that's okay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else have a Mayer Brown CB? When? (Mine was in the middle of last week.) Heard anything? (I haven't, was told to expect something this week.)

Nobody else waiting on them? Maybe that's a good sign...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nobody else waiting on them? Maybe that's a good sign...

My CB is next week.

They have a tiny class, so I imagine it could be a little while to hear even if they like you.

Return to “Legal Employment”