Let's talk LA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:57 am

Best LA neighborhoods to live in as a yupster?

I'm sure your hand is partly forced here by location of your firm (given heavy commute traffic). Assuming the firm is located downtown-ish, what are good locations to look at as a single 20-something?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Best LA neighborhoods to live in as a yupster?

I'm sure your hand is partly forced here by location of your firm (given heavy commute traffic). Assuming the firm is located downtown-ish, what are good locations to look at as a single 20-something?


Out-of-towner looking to move to LA; here are my thoughts re neighborhoods: Los Feliz, Silverlake, DTLA, some parts of Hollywood, and maybe Koreatown or Mid-Wilshire. For the first few years at least, probably worth avoiding long commutes from the Beach Cities or Santa Monica; Westwood and the Valley are probably not good for young single people (UCLA aside). The Echo Park area is probably still a little too sketchy, and South LA definitely too sketchy. Pasadena is probably too long a commute too.

FWIW, if you plan on using Metro semi-regularly, DTLA, Koreatown, and Hollywood have half-decent transit.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks for doing this.

HYS top 1/3 rising 2L, spent lots of time in LA. Interested in corp.

Question is: What exactly should I expect to do as a corp associate in LA? I've asked numerous people and they all said different nebulous things like "it's smaller, more niche, etc." Anyone with experience care to weigh in on exactly what practice groups are big on the west coast? Is the day-to-day work different from what I might expect working in NY?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for doing this.

HYS top 1/3 rising 2L, spent lots of time in LA. Interested in corp.

Question is: What exactly should I expect to do as a corp associate in LA? I've asked numerous people and they all said different nebulous things like "it's smaller, more niche, etc." Anyone with experience care to weigh in on exactly what practice groups are big on the west coast? Is the day-to-day work different from what I might expect working in NY?

This is a great question and I'd be curious to hear responses from anyone who has done corporate work in LA or elsewhere on the west coast.

Revolver066
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for doing this.

HYS top 1/3 rising 2L, spent lots of time in LA. Interested in corp.

Question is: What exactly should I expect to do as a corp associate in LA? I've asked numerous people and they all said different nebulous things like "it's smaller, more niche, etc." Anyone with experience care to weigh in on exactly what practice groups are big on the west coast? Is the day-to-day work different from what I might expect working in NY?

This is a great question and I'd be curious to hear responses from anyone who has done corporate work in LA or elsewhere on the west coast.


hjkjhlkj
Last edited by Revolver066 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Revolver066 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for doing this.

HYS top 1/3 rising 2L, spent lots of time in LA. Interested in corp.

Question is: What exactly should I expect to do as a corp associate in LA? I've asked numerous people and they all said different nebulous things like "it's smaller, more niche, etc." Anyone with experience care to weigh in on exactly what practice groups are big on the west coast? Is the day-to-day work different from what I might expect working in NY?

This is a great question and I'd be curious to hear responses from anyone who has done corporate work in LA or elsewhere on the west coast.


+1


To be fair, I am NOT a corporate associate, but I am summering at one of the big firms in LA. My impression is that associates here work frequently work with attorneys in other offices on deals, but work is still generated here and a matter may be staffed entirely with attorneys in LA/OC. I would think that if you go to a big LA firm with a national corporate practice, you won't be working exclusively on "smaller/niche" matters. That said, anecdotally I have heard if you go to a satellite of a major NY firm, be prepared to be a bitch to HQ (think S&C, Simpson, etc.) because the office in LA is small and isn't necessarily generating their own deals. No idea how true/insightful that is, but I figured I would try and answer since no one had.

And obviously as a junior, it will be a lot of diligence (as is the case anywhere).

oblig.lawl.ref
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Best LA neighborhoods to live in as a yupster?

I'm sure your hand is partly forced here by location of your firm (given heavy commute traffic). Assuming the firm is located downtown-ish, what are good locations to look at as a single 20-something?


Out-of-towner looking to move to LA; here are my thoughts re neighborhoods: Los Feliz, Silverlake, DTLA, some parts of Hollywood, and maybe Koreatown or Mid-Wilshire. For the first few years at least, probably worth avoiding long commutes from the Beach Cities or Santa Monica; Westwood and the Valley are probably not good for young single people (UCLA aside). The Echo Park area is probably still a little too sketchy, and South LA definitely too sketchy. Pasadena is probably too long a commute too.

FWIW, if you plan on using Metro semi-regularly, DTLA, Koreatown, and Hollywood have half-decent transit.


I think this is about right. Depending on how sensitive you are to neighborhood safety/niceness you may want to rule Koreatown/Mid-Wilshire out. Some parts of Mid-Wilshire getting further to the west are pretty nice though and may be considered, especially a little north of Wilshire.

Los Feliz and Silverlake would probably be most credited (but probably a little pricey) in terms of dodging traffic and still having a cool neighborhood--which would be my #1 priority. DTLA is also fine but is probably a little less boushie (sp?) than the other two mentioned though you certainly can find some yupster spots.

If you do plan on taking Metro parts of Pasadena may actually be in play. The Goldline that runs out there is actually quite popular. As are parts of Hollywood on the Redline.

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Worked in DTLA last summer. I lived in the Franklin Village neighborhood of Hollywood (right near the Celebrity Center) and really loved it. Probably going to live there (or Los Feliz) when I start, although I am giving some thought to Silver Lake (mostly just to cut down on the commute to work).

Hancock Park/Miracle Mile is also pretty credited although it's expensive and it has a very, well, LA vibe to it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.