Targeted Mailings -- Philly

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey all,

Rising 2L, 177-178 range at Chicago, looking to head back to Philly for 2L summer. Planning to mail the following firms, wonder if anyone familiar with either (1) UChicago or (2) the Philly market has any advice to offer or has a sense of my chances.

Firms I hope to mail:

Pepper Hamilton
Duane Morris
Cozen O'Connor
Drinker Biddle
MLB
Dechert
Blank Rome
Ballard Spahr

Thanks!

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby Nelson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Your grades are medianish right? Grades shouldn't be a deal breaker with ties or at least they wouldn't be at OCI. Is this a straight mass mail? Have you been networking? Fit is going to be important in getting a job. This is basically a list of the 8 biggest Philly offices but these firms vary pretty widely in culture.

redbullvodka
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby redbullvodka » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Nelson wrote:Your grades are medianish right? Grades shouldn't be a deal breaker with ties or at least they wouldn't be at OCI. Is this a straight mass mail? Have you been networking? Fit is going to be important in getting a job. This is basically a list of the 8 biggest Philly offices but these firms vary pretty widely in culture.


Doing informational phone interviews before I send stuff out -- lets the cover letter do more work. I've been in contact with a few people from UChi that have gone through the process, and they've sent out some contacts.

Yeah somewhere in the ugly mass between 1/2 and 1/3. Medianish is how i'm looking at it.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby Nelson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:12 pm

redbullvodka wrote:
Nelson wrote:Your grades are medianish right? Grades shouldn't be a deal breaker with ties or at least they wouldn't be at OCI. Is this a straight mass mail? Have you been networking? Fit is going to be important in getting a job. This is basically a list of the 8 biggest Philly offices but these firms vary pretty widely in culture.


Doing informational phone interviews before I send stuff out -- lets the cover letter do more work. I've been in contact with a few people from UChi that have gone through the process, and they've sent out some contacts.

Yeah somewhere in the ugly mass between 1/2 and 1/3. Medianish is how i'm looking at it.

Grades aren't going to break you in Philly necessarily but these are small classes at all of these firms so I would be most concerned with getting some separation from the pack by other means. Some of these firms have particular quirks that could help you get an edge in a cover letter and others you might just need to get your resume in front of the right person. None of these offices come to UChi and you aren't in Philly for the summer? I wouldn't count Philly out but if the class sizes are as small as last year I would get comfortable with NYC or another big market as a primary target. There are more midsized firms in the market too but they don't all have summer programs as structured as the Philly biglaw firms you listed.

redbullvodka
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby redbullvodka » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Nelson wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:
Nelson wrote:Your grades are medianish right? Grades shouldn't be a deal breaker with ties or at least they wouldn't be at OCI. Is this a straight mass mail? Have you been networking? Fit is going to be important in getting a job. This is basically a list of the 8 biggest Philly offices but these firms vary pretty widely in culture.


Doing informational phone interviews before I send stuff out -- lets the cover letter do more work. I've been in contact with a few people from UChi that have gone through the process, and they've sent out some contacts.

Yeah somewhere in the ugly mass between 1/2 and 1/3. Medianish is how i'm looking at it.

Grades aren't going to break you in Philly necessarily but these are small classes at all of these firms so I would be most concerned with getting some separation from the pack by other means. Some of these firms have particular quirks that could help you get an edge in a cover letter and others you might just need to get your resume in front of the right person. None of these offices come to UChi and you aren't in Philly for the summer? I wouldn't count Philly out but if the class sizes are as small as last year I would get comfortable with NYC or another big market as a primary target. There are more midsized firms in the market too but they don't all have summer programs as structured as the Philly biglaw firms you listed.


Two or three do. The people I've talked to had success with similar resumes to mine, but I'm absolutely bidding straight NY at OCI. I just am hoping to get some bites pre-OCI from these mailings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 am

OP, why not Saul Ewing, Reed Smith, or Stradley Ronan? Did you choose the firms based on any specifics or just went for the biggest SA classes? I'd suggest having a damn good reason to explain why you want to not only work in Philly next summer but come back after law school and stay. It seems like a lot of people have had trouble recently with convincing Philly firms of their intent to stay, even people who were born and raised.

Nelson,
Any tips on where to find out about the cultural quirks of the firms OP listed? Or any Philly firms for that matter?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Targeted Mailings -- Philly

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 am

I would definitely mail Saul, Reed, Stradley, and Schnader. Might as well mail DLA, although they didnt have a program last year - or maybe had one kid. If you have significant ties to Philly then my guess is you have a good shot. A few in my summer class were from lower t-14 with same/worse grades. Friends at other firms had same thing. So grades won't be an issue, and if you grew up in the area that should be sufficient ties.

I cant really speak to the quirks of the different firms. I interviewed with most of them/have friends at most of them, and couldnt really pick up on a huge difference in culture but the other probably post has better advice on that. Hours are supposedly worse for MLB/Dechert and go down from there, but that can depend on practice group. I know ppl at my firm who are getting crushed and ppl who are coasting (or working less than firms with better reps for hours), and the same goes for pretty much every firm in the city.

Other than that you could target a specific group if you have an interest in that work. Off the top of my head I know MLB has great L&E and B&F, Pepper has a huge pharma practice, Stradley has a huge 40 act practice, Schnader is big for litigation, and I think Dechert does a lot of Corp., but also has a good pharma/torts litigation group. You dont have to target these groups, but if any of that work is what you are looking for it would definitely give you a boost (or help in a why this firm??).

Class sizes are small so thats a problem, but I think you have a good shot if you contact alums and have good ties to Philly. Pepper took ~22 ppl last year, MLB ~18, Dechert around the same. I think the other firms are closer to 8-12. Its late so Im rambling everywhere so feel free to ask ?s if any of this was confusing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.