Have you guys ever experienced slow weeks at work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
What the f.supp?

Have you guys ever experienced slow weeks at work?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm a junior at a biglaw firm (corporate). I've been busy since the beginning of the year (165-215 each month), but I'm having a pretty slow July (~30 hours so far). I've talked to my mentors, emailed, called, and spoke to a handful of colleauges to see if I can assist with anything. Crickets. Most of my projects are either wrapped up or are in a holding pattern for an indeterminate time. I'm active within the ABA and have already finished all my volunteer projects (working on books and such). I've only received positive feedback and haven't messed up anything in recent memory, so I don't think this is a case of people not trusting my work. I'm thinking that part of the reason could be that we have a bunch of summer associates helping out with projects?

Anyways, I'm looking for advice from people who may have been in this position. Is this just something that happens and is to be expected at some point? I'm not comfortable with sending out mass emails to random coworkers and going door to door annoying people (at least not comfortable yet). Thanks!

itbdvorm

Re: Have you guys ever experienced slow weeks at work?

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:10 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:I'm a junior at a biglaw firm (corporate). I've been busy since the beginning of the year (165-215 each month), but I'm having a pretty slow July (~30 hours so far). I've talked to my mentors, emailed, called, and spoke to a handful of colleauges to see if I can assist with anything. Crickets. Most of my projects are either wrapped up or are in a holding pattern for an indeterminate time. I'm active within the ABA and have already finished all my volunteer projects (working on books and such). I've only received positive feedback and haven't messed up anything in recent memory, so I don't think this is a case of people not trusting my work. I'm thinking that part of the reason could be that we have a bunch of summer associates helping out with projects?

Anyways, I'm looking for advice from people who may have been in this position. Is this just something that happens and is to be expected at some point? I'm not comfortable with sending out mass emails to random coworkers and going door to door annoying people (at least not comfortable yet). Thanks!

happens all the time. ride it out. go enjoy yourself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:I'm a junior at a biglaw firm (corporate). I've been busy since the beginning of the year (165-215 each month), but I'm having a pretty slow July (~30 hours so far). I've talked to my mentors, emailed, called, and spoke to a handful of colleauges to see if I can assist with anything. Crickets. Most of my projects are either wrapped up or are in a holding pattern for an indeterminate time. I'm active within the ABA and have already finished all my volunteer projects (working on books and such). I've only received positive feedback and haven't messed up anything in recent memory, so I don't think this is a case of people not trusting my work. I'm thinking that part of the reason could be that we have a bunch of summer associates helping out with projects?

Had this happen my first week and once during the middle. I got work shortly after I sent out emails during the middle (and that work has continued to come since then).

Getting a bit slow now that summer is winding down.

As itbdvorm said, enjoy it. I talked to a former SA here and he said it was 100% normal. Not every firm is going to work you until you die . I know my post is in the context of the summer, but I have talked to a number of actual associates about this and they still have down time. It happens.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 pm

itbdvorm wrote:

Comforting advice (seriously). Are you suggesting taking a half day off or something? I thought about this but was hoping that my visibility in the office might lead to people giving me random projects. Stupid logic?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Comforting advice (seriously). Are you suggesting taking a half day off or something? I thought about this but was hoping that my visibility in the office might lead to people giving me random projects. Stupid logic?

Why would you want a random project? As a junior you are best served by getting on major matters and taking on substantive responsibility, not repeatedly jumping on grenades. Duck out and go to a movie. Meet a friend for lunch/drinks. Surf the web. Enjoy yourself.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Had this happen my first week and once during the middle. I got work shortly after I sent out emails during the middle (and that work has continued to come since then).

Getting a bit slow now that summer is winding down.

As itbdvorm said, enjoy it. I talked to a former SA here and he said it was 100% normal. Not every firm is going to work you until you die . I know my post is in the context of the summer, but I have talked to a number of actual associates about this and they still have down time. It happens.

Thanks. It's hard to enjoy the down time after you do the math and determine how many hours you have to bill every month until year end to reach your goal. Starting this month I needed to bill 175 each month until end of fiscal year to reach my goal (which would put me decently above the firm's minimum requirement). Hurts to think about having to squeeze out 200 each month from August onward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:39 pm

had something like that as a SA. I would ask around for work and associates would tell me to chill out and enjoy the downtime. The following week everyone was staying until 11 to work on a new project. So ya, enjoy the downtime, don't worry.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Normal. Just relax, nature of the business. I've been there too, it all balances out. And the going door to door - it does blow, everyone knows it blows, but no one is mad at you because what the hell are you supposed to do? Thats also important for covering your ass - no one can say you weren't trying.

I know the feeling of that paranoia - is there NOT enough work to keep me employed????? But its normal, and in a few years, you'll be telling new associates its normal too.

Is this your first year? Sounds like it, but you didn't exactly say.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:06 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Normal. Just relax, nature of the business. I've been there too, it all balances out. And the going door to door - it does blow, everyone knows it blows, but no one is mad at you because what the hell are you supposed to do? Thats also important for covering your ass - no one can say you weren't trying.

I know the feeling of that paranoia - is there NOT enough work to keep me employed????? But its normal, and in a few years, you'll be telling new associates its normal too.

Is this your first year? Sounds like it, but you didn't exactly say.

Thanks. That's helpful advice. Yeah, I'm a first year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Totally normal especially in corporate. If you feel uncomfortable taking half-days, go in a little late, leave a little early and try to grab lunch with friends. July has been slow for everyone at my firm in the corporate department too. We had a crazy start to the year so no big deal. It sounds like you are off to a good start so I would not sweat it. I will respectfully disagree with itvbdorm though. Those random one-offs are sometimes tests before being staffed on bigger matters. Early on I had a couple random assignments that were a bit miserable turn into meaningful, long-term relationships that provide me with my best source of substantive work. With that said, I think being in the office for 9:30-5/5:30pm and leaving around 4pm on Fridays is pretty safe at many firms if you are slow and check your phone regularly. Ask midlevel/senior associates though, when in doubt. Each firm has a unique culture.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:24 am

Weird moment in time for interest rates brah

Return to “Legal Employment”