Callback in primary office, but bid their NYC office for OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback in primary office, but bid their NYC office for OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:11 am

So I am a rising 2L. I sent out a midnight mass mail to firms on Dec 1st for 1L SAs, and a V100 firm in a secondary market (but home office) mailed me back a couple months later telling me that they do not offer 1L SAs for their home office, but that they would love to have me skip the screener at OCI and go straight to their office for an interview.

Fast forward to now. Their NYC office is fairly large, so I bid them at a spot I am likely to get an interview. Afterwards, their home office emails me to remind me of their callback offer, and to schedule a callback in August in their home office. In my cover letter, I am fairly certain I put "I would love to work in [homemarket]." This is a firm that said that they do not allow "multiple interviews with other offices" or whatever during our OCI. I strongly prefer to work in NYC, but I would not mind their home office at all.

Now, once OCI interviews come out and they see that I bid their NYC office instead of their home office, will I lose credibility? Should I instantly drop it once the interview lists come out? Or just roll the dice on both?

NYstate

Re: Callback in primary office, but bid their NYC office for OCI

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:59 am

Did you ever interview with them? Were you in home market for the summer? Did you follow up at all?

I find this post very confusing. The home market is where you want to work but you didn't interview there ( or make arrangements to interview there) even though they asked you to? If so, why did you bid again if you already had a callback to the office you want?

My guess is that they will be as confused as I am.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:19 am

Not OP, but I'm in what appears to be a fairly similar situation. I spent my 1L year at a law school in Market A and will be transferring to a school in Market B. I did a "mock interview" with an office of a V10 firm in Market A over the summer. The associate I met with recently emailed me to ask for my most updated resume and transcript so that the recruiting department could look at it prior to OCI. Since I haven't yet moved to my transfer school, I sent the associate my information, told her of my transfer, and said that since I'm in the area still I would love the opportunity to come in again to learn more about the firm. According to her, I should be hearing from the recruiting department this week to schedule whatever this may be (another informational interview, a call-back style interview, idk...).

This firm has offices in Market B, as well. Their offices in Market A and Market B will both be at my new school's OCI but they do not allow you to bid on more than one of their offices. I'm not sure how to play this at my new school's OCI. Do I bid Market A and interview again? Do I bid Market B because, even though I've expressed interest their Market A office, I'm not technically "bidding" more than one office? Do I not bid the firm at all so that I don't seem confused about which market I want to be in?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I'm in what appears to be a fairly similar situation. I spent my 1L year at a law school in Market A and will be transferring to a school in Market B. I did a "mock interview" with an office of a V10 firm in Market A over the summer. The associate I met with recently emailed me to ask for my most updated resume and transcript so that the recruiting department could look at it prior to OCI. Since I haven't yet moved to my transfer school, I sent the associate my information, told her of my transfer, and said that since I'm in the area still I would love the opportunity to come in again to learn more about the firm. According to her, I should be hearing from the recruiting department this week to schedule whatever this may be (another informational interview, a call-back style interview, idk...).

This firm has offices in Market B, as well. Their offices in Market A and Market B will both be at my new school's OCI but they do not allow you to bid on more than one of their offices. I'm not sure how to play this at my new school's OCI. Do I bid Market A and interview again? Do I bid Market B because, even though I've expressed interest their Market A office, I'm not technically "bidding" more than one office? Do I not bid the firm at all so that I don't seem confused about which market I want to be in?

If you already have an interview at your preferred office, why would you bid them? It is a waste of a spot and they may be as confused as I am by this thinking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I'm in what appears to be a fairly similar situation. I spent my 1L year at a law school in Market A and will be transferring to a school in Market B. I did a "mock interview" with an office of a V10 firm in Market A over the summer. The associate I met with recently emailed me to ask for my most updated resume and transcript so that the recruiting department could look at it prior to OCI. Since I haven't yet moved to my transfer school, I sent the associate my information, told her of my transfer, and said that since I'm in the area still I would love the opportunity to come in again to learn more about the firm. According to her, I should be hearing from the recruiting department this week to schedule whatever this may be (another informational interview, a call-back style interview, idk...).

If you already have an interview at your preferred office, why would you bid them? It is a waste of a spot and they may be as confused as I am by this thinking.

Well, I'm more concerned with getting a job than I am with working at my preferred office. If nothing comes of my interview with the office in Market A, can I give it another shot in Market B at OCI or will the offices communicate and ding me before I get my foot in the door?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:

This firm has offices in Market B, as well. Their offices in Market A and Market B will both be at my new school's OCI but they do not allow you to bid on youmore than one of their offices. I'm not sure how to play this at my new school's OCI. Do I bid Market A and interview again? Do I bid Market B because, even though I've expressed interest their Market A office, I'm not technically "bidding" more than one office? Do I not bid the firm at all so that I don't seem confused about which market I want to be in?

Well, I'm more concerned with getting a job than I am with working at my preferred office. If nothing comes of my interview with the office in Market A, can I give it another shot in Market B at OCI or will the offices communicate and ding me before I get my foot in the door?

Maybe someone with more experience in this kind of bidding can advise you. I only bid NYC because that is where I live.

From what I know of my firm, everyone would wonder what you are doing. Recruiting definitely communicates. I would be concerned with undermining your chances by bidding both offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 pm

OP here.

I got the callback without a screener of any type. I thought it was very strange, but they must have loved something about my resume. "Home" office refers to the firms main office.

And the reason I made this thread is for similar reasons as other anon user. I prefer NYC, but I want a job more than anything.

Return to “Legal Employment”