Where to live for job by Grand Central Station in NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where to live for job by Grand Central Station in NY

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Recently graduated, and will be starting work at a firm by Grand Central. I live in Jersey City now, and would love to stay on this side of the river if possible. The commute from Exchange Place PATH station to Grand Central Station is about 30-35 min, plus the few minutes walk on each end.

My alternative was to live on the Long Island City waterfront, which is just one 7-train stop away from Grand Central, with subway ride of about 5 min, plus the few minutes walk on each end (plus any time waiting for train). Both LIC and JC are comparable rent-wise, with both obviously offering more space at about 20% lower rent than Manhattan. Another huge benefit to JC is I save nearly $6,000 in NYC income tax (which is based on residency in NYC).

For anyone who is current associate, how close do you really have to be first year? Is a 40 minute commute too much if I could cut it down to a 15 minute commute?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Re: Where to live for job by Grand Central Station in NY

Postby guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently graduated, and will be starting work at a firm by Grand Central. I live in Jersey City now, and would love to stay on this side of the river if possible. The commute from Exchange Place PATH station to Grand Central Station is about 30-35 min, plus the few minutes walk on each end.

My alternative was to live on the Long Island City waterfront, which is just one 7-train stop away from Grand Central, with subway ride of about 5 min, plus the few minutes walk on each end (plus any time waiting for train). Both LIC and JC are comparable rent-wise, with both obviously offering more space at about 20% lower rent than Manhattan. Another huge benefit to JC is I save nearly $6,000 in NYC income tax (which is based on residency in NYC).

For anyone who is current associate, how close do you really have to be first year? Is a 40-45 minute commute too much if I could cut it down to a 15 minute commute?

I might be wrong, but, you owe NYC tax on income earned in NYC, regardless of residency

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 pm

guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recently graduated, and will be starting work at a firm by Grand Central. I live in Jersey City now, and would love to stay on this side of the river if possible. The commute from Exchange Place PATH station to Grand Central Station is about 30-35 min, plus the few minutes walk on each end.

For anyone who is current associate, how close do you really have to be first year? Is a 40-45 minute commute too much if I could cut it down to a 15 minute commute?

I might be wrong, but, you owe NYC tax on income earned in NYC, regardless of residency

No, NYC income tax, unlike NY state income tax, is based on residency. When I was summer associate, most of the summers paid NYC income tax, but not me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:36 pm

But the $6,000 savings isn't really the biggest issue. Sure, it would be a wonderful savings, but I'm just concerned whether it is smart/doable for a 1st year associate to be doing 40 min commute, when it could be 15 min commute. Sure, it doesn't seem like much more, but I'd love to hear from any current associate as to commute times, and what is smart/feasible.

I just ran the MTA trip planner for the addresses of the possible place in LIC, and the possible place in JC (which involves one transfer to the 4/5 train): Says 39 min for the Exchange Place JC apt., and 19 min for the LIC apt. So about 40-45 each day saved by living in LIC. Worth the additional $6000?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Bumping for feedback on commuting times

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:31 pm

I work at a firm near GC.

If it's a big law firm, I'd bend over backwards to give yourself a gentle commute. You may be fine as a commuter or wind up working for people/in groups where it's not an issue, but you could also wind up with lots of early mornings/late nights and come to really resent the extra commute time which will be taking away directly from what may be very limited time to yourself.

I'd say people live in a a mix of places based on their background - lost of east villiage, some financial district, some very close/walking distance. I know very few people who opted for a more serious commute their first year, but the ones who have done so did with open eyes and have also survived alright.

Not to be grim, but realize you might not be spending that much time in the place you choose to live as a first year associate...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at a firm near GC.

If it's a big law firm, I'd bend over backwards to give yourself a gentle commute. You may be fine as a commuter or wind up working for people/in groups where it's not an issue, but you could also wind up with lots of early mornings/late nights and come to really resent the extra commute time which will be taking away directly from what may be very limited time to yourself.

I'd say people live in a a mix of places based on their background - lost of east villiage, some financial district, some very close/walking distance. I know very few people who opted for a more serious commute their first year, but the ones who have done so did with open eyes and have also survived alright.

Not to be grim, but realize you might not be spending that much time in the place you choose to live as a first year associate...

Thanks for the feedback. What would you say is a "more serious" commute?

And do you know anyone who lives in LIC? It seems so convenient and accessible to the Grand Central area.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Grand Central is pretty damn easy to get to from just about any part of the city. There's a ton of different places you could live. As was suggested above, just focus on keeping the commute itself as short as possible. Direct subway lines are a huge time-saver.

I'd look at a subway map and go from there. Check for express trains, too. They can lop huge amounts of time off your commute (if you can get on one easily).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 pm

shock259 wrote:Grand Central is pretty damn easy to get to from just about any part of the city. There's a ton of different places you could live. As was suggested above, just focus on keeping the commute itself as short as possible. Direct subway lines are a huge time-saver.

I'd look at a subway map and go from there. Check for express trains, too. They can lop huge amounts of time off your commute (if you can get on one easily).

I'm familiar with the area. As my original post notes, I'm down to LIC and Jersey City. I live in Jersey City now, love it here, and would love to avoid NYC income tax (nearly $6,000 savings). But the commute would be about 40 min. From LIC, I pay about the same rent, have to pay NYC tax, but commute is only about 15 min or so (just one stop on the 7 with a few minutes of walking on each end). I just wasn't sure whether that extra 25 min each way is really burdensome, and whether the $6,000 savings justifies an extra 50 min of commuting time each day.

heartbreaker

Postby heartbreaker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 am

-
Last edited by heartbreaker on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks. A part of me keeps saying "start close, and then move further away once you realize its feasible to do it" as opposed to starting further away and wishing I lived closer. Maybe thats the right approach at the start?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:42 pm

FiDi has reasonable prices and the 4/5 from Wall St gets you to grand central in no time (I'm a summer at a firm near grand central and the commute from FiDi has been fantastic)

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Just FYI, it's not actually $6000 you'll save. You're right that your NYC taxes will be ~$6000, but this is offset by the fact that you can deduct that from your federal taxes (savings = $1700). You'll lose this deduction if you don't pay NYC taxes, so the net tax advantage is actually about $4300. Also, assuming living in NJ requires you to buy both a monthly metrocard and a monthly path pass, that's an extra $900/year cost you wouldn't have if you did metrocard alone. So it could be closer to $3500.

As to your actual question, I think it's really personal preference. 40 minutes isn't so ridiculous as to be undoable, but it's long. I personally would not do it (partially because of the commute time, partially because I prefer having easier access to NY bars / restaurants), but it sounds like you're leaning towards it, and I think that's totally reasonable.

Cityman543

Postby Cityman543 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:29 pm

This is an easy one -- Long Island city. 1-2 stops from grand central on the 7 and better deals on housing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:33 pm

^^

Def better deals than Manhattan, but comparable prices to Jersey City. The apts I'm looking at right now in the LIC waterfront area are about $2,800 for a 1 bedroom, but I'm sharing with someone else who will be paying about $800 of that. So definitely manageable. Also considering the new building one stop further by Court Square, since it was something like $2750 for nearly 800 square feet, with a crapload of amenities for no additional charge.

Oh, and thanks to the poster who clarified the NYC income tax info. Helps me justify LIC a bit more since the $$ savings isn't quite as huge living in NJ.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^

Def better deals than Manhattan, but comparable prices to Jersey City. The apts I'm looking at right now in the LIC waterfront area are about $2,800 for a 1 bedroom, but I'm sharing with someone else who will be paying about $800 of that. So definitely manageable. Also considering the new building one stop further by Court Square, since it was something like $2750 for nearly 800 square feet, with a crapload of amenities for no additional charge.

Oh, and thanks to the poster who clarified the NYC income tax info. Helps me justify LIC a bit more since the $$ savings isn't quite as huge living in NJ.

Just my two cents, but I live basically in midtown east (ie, walking distance to Grand Central) and pay $2700 for a one bedroom (650 sq ft.) -- to me, $2800 for a slightly larger apartment outside of Manhattan doesn't seem worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am

Sup Kid wrote:

Just my two cents, but I live basically in midtown east (ie, walking distance to Grand Central) and pay $2700 for a one bedroom (650 sq ft.) -- to me, $2800 for a slightly larger apartment outside of Manhattan doesn't seem worth it.

What kind of amenities do you get for $2,700 in Midtown? Just curious.

heartbreaker

Postby heartbreaker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 pm

-
Last edited by heartbreaker on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Why don't you live by Grove St or Newport Path bro? Path to WTC, 4 train to Grand Central.

eta: didn't realize exchange place is actually closer than grove or newport. but if you work around grand central, why not consider living on the upper east side?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 pm

heartbreaker wrote:As an FYI, the 7 train is undergoing a significant construction project which includes weekend closures. Last winter (from December to March), it was closed for 13 consecutive weekends. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the E train at Court Square from the waterfront buildings, but it is cold and a hassle in January/February. The closures are scheduled again for this winter and are likely to last through 2016. The Court Square area is not as nice as the waterfront, but the new building looks beautiful and the proximity to the E train may be worth it.

Yes, proximity to the E train was definitely a positive about Court Square. Just one block from the 7, E and G. So getting into Manhattan is a breeze. I will be working right off the 7, and my girlfriend right off the E, so transportation situation is convenient.

As for 7 train weekend construction, I could instead just take the E if I live at the Court Square building, and then just walk down a few blocks, so no issue there. And if I choose the waterfront area, I figured the ferry is a possible alternate route to Manhattan on the weekend. Any experience with that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Why don't you live by Grove St or Newport Path bro? Path to WTC, 4 train to Grand Central.

eta: didn't realize exchange place is actually closer than grove or newport. but if you work around grand central, why not consider living on the upper east side?

I'm considering UES. But it would put me further away than LIC would, have me paying the same if not more rent, getting less space, and less building amenities. Sure, many more things to do, and everything is within quick walking distance, but I feel like the space, amenities, and shorter commute outweigh that.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:Why don't you live by Grove St or Newport Path bro? Path to WTC, 4 train to Grand Central.

I'm considering UES. But it would put me further away than LIC would, have me paying the same if not more rent, getting less space, and less building amenities. Sure, many more things to do, and everything is within quick walking distance, but I feel like the space, amenities, and shorter commute outweigh that.

what building amenities do you really think you'll use while working in big law? doorman and that's about it? most of the in building gyms are SPS with treadmills and MAYBE some machines. not to mention on the weekend, when you'd have most of your free time the 7 train is objectively horrible

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

What kind of amenities do you get for $2,700 in Midtown? Just curious.
this seems about par for the course
http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/104926 ... l-new-york

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what building amenities do you really think you'll use while working in big law? doorman and that's about it? most of the in building gyms are SPS with treadmills and MAYBE some machines. not to mention on the weekend, when you'd have most of your free time the 7 train is objectively horrible

The fitness center in the new Court Square building (I think the name is Linc) is actually pretty amazing. 2 floors of equipment, indoor basketball court, racquetball court, etc. Was literally bigger than the regular gym I'm currently a member of. I hear ya about the 7 train. Thats whats got me hesitant about waterfront area. But I figured being by Court Square, I'd still have the E, to get into Manhattan in like 10 min total.

heartbreaker

Postby heartbreaker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 pm

--
Last edited by heartbreaker on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”