Would Studying Spanish Abroad in 2L Summer=Bad Idea?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Would Studying Spanish Abroad in 2L Summer=Bad Idea?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Right now, my Spanish level is intermediate. I lived in South America for a little over a year, however, now that I've been stateside for awhile and not able to practice with many native speakers, my skills are rusty and I'm not able to advance much. I think to really get marketable Spanish skills, I need to study abroad again for a few months.

Would studying abroad during my 2L summer be a really bad idea since I'd ideally use that time to work for a place I'd like to eventually get hired into after graduation? I think, realistically, 2L summer is the only time I'll have between now and graduation to really polish these skills.

I should clarify that I'm not interested in firm work. Just gov't or PI.

stillwater

Re: Would Studying Spanish Abroad in 2L Summer=Bad Idea?

Postby stillwater » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Right now, my Spanish level is intermediate. I lived in South America for a little over a year, however, now that I've been stateside for awhile and not able to practice with many native speakers, my skills are rusty and I'm not able to advance much. I think to really get marketable Spanish skills, I need to study abroad again for a few months.

Would studying abroad during my 2L summer be a really bad idea since I'd ideally use that time to work for a place I'd like to eventually get hired into after graduation? I think, realistically, 2L summer is the only time I'll have between now and graduation to really polish these skills.

usually you would do something pi or gvt related that summer, so ya, probably a bad idea.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Bad idea. Get a job at the place where you want to get hired. This is not really a close call. You won't be a competitive applicant without substantive 2L experience.

If you want to brush up on your Spanish, consider taking the trip after the Bar.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Right now, my Spanish level is intermediate. I lived in South America for a little over a year, however, now that I've been stateside for awhile and not able to practice with many native speakers, my skills are rusty and I'm not able to advance much. I think to really get marketable Spanish skills, I need to study abroad again for a few months.

No, your 2L summer has to be work focused. Figure out another way to learn spanish.
You understand that govt and PI work can be very competitive, right? You need to be working and making connections as much as possible to help your job search.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:19 pm

You could also study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country during a 2L or 3L semester - there can be disadvantages to this, but it's perhaps not as bad as during 2L summer.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:10 am

Go over winter break.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Other option: Split summer (esp. if you get a 2L gig that wants 6-10 weeks) with a 4-6 week immersion program. Alternately, I second JML's suggestion of Bar Trip. You've got all of August, September, and October to wait for results.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:08 pm

For the most part, unless you're fluent, you won't be hired for your Spanish-speaking skills. Employers generally are wary of proficient (and worse) speakers because they may not have enough cross-cultural and cross-lingual skills to catch little nuances in communication. This ability is vital in a detail-oriented environment like legal practice.

So, you can either do things that help you get a job later, or you can do things you like because you like them. Unless you're absurdly wealthy and only give half a shit about your legal career, I think spending a law school summer effectively on vacation is a terrible idea.

I think you also need to double-check your perception of reality here. You could full well end up never being employed in the legal sector. I imagine you didn't go to law school to have that possibility materialize.

Return to “Legal Employment”