GPA differences between multiple offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swtlilsoni

GPA differences between multiple offices

Postby swtlilsoni » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:12 pm

While looking at my school's GPA charts for past OCI seasons, I noticed that for certain firms, their median GPA is high in one office, but low in another office.

For those firms, assuming the high median is too high for me, but the low one is in my range, should I bid on the office with the low median? Or should I eliminate the firm from my bidlist entirely.
Also, if the firm does NOT allow multiple interviews, should I keep them or delete them?

bdubs

Re: GPA differences between multiple offices

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

You should probably choose a market before you choose firms. Choosing offices randomly based on where your GPA is competitive is a recipe for disaster. Most places outside of NYC want ties or a very good reason to choose their office.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Plus some firms, though broad in overall scope, will have some offices that are largely if not entirely IP, thus more willing to dip deeper on GPAs to get people who are otherwise qualified for IP work. So check NALP directory or some other source for the practice areas of the specific location in question.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:00 pm

**The markets in question were my original desired markets. I'm going for NY, DC, CA.

Here's a couple examples:

Latham
NY 3.5
Orange County 3.2

Arnold & Porter
NY 3.36
DC 3.65

Bingham
NY 3.29
SF 3.5

&& The lower median offices were not IP only.
In cases like these, if the lower office fits my range but the higher office doesn't, should I still bid on the firm (if they only allow one interview for all offices).

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm confused. Why wouldn't you bid the lower firm? If it is in your GPA range it is in your GPA range regardless of what the GPA ranges for the other offices are.

Return to “Legal Employment”