2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymous2012

New

2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Post by anonymous2012 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Wow. Just wow. Well, if you want a career track position at Justice without a COA clerkship do not bother applying.

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/en ... pants.html

gdane

Diamond

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Post by gdane » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Trying to scare off the competition, eh. :wink:

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Wow, 30 hires outside of EOIR. (EOIR looks relatively comparable to last year, though? Can't remember exactly.) And no USAOs hiring officially.

Would be very curious to see the credentials of the person who gets the lone Civil Rights position...

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:17 pm

FWIW: I've already been told by multiple DOJ Honors interviewers at DOJ that you shouldn't even bother applying without an Article III clerkship, and you're already behind the curve if it's a district clerkship.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:FWIW: I've already been told by multiple DOJ Honors interviewers at DOJ that you shouldn't even bother applying without an Article III clerkship, and you're already behind the curve if it's a district clerkship.
I've heard you definitely want/need a clerkship to get hired. But whether it's district or appellate -- from everything I've heard talking from multiple people there -- depends entirely on the component and division. Most of the civil divisions (especially Fed Programs and Appeals) are going to practically require an appellate clerkship. Civil rights is the same. The criminal divisions, however, prefer district court clerkships.

And for what it's worth, I've talked to a few at antitrust who say that clerkships are less important than demonstrated interest, good background in economics, and stellar grades. A clerkship will be icing, but isn't as necessary as the other components.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:I've heard you definitely want/need a clerkship to get hired. But whether it's district or appellate -- from everything I've heard talking from multiple people there -- depends entirely on the component and division. Most of the civil divisions (especially Fed Programs and Appeals) are going to practically require an appellate clerkship. Civil rights is the same. The criminal divisions, however, prefer district court clerkships.
I have heard this, too - that the criminal divisions are sometimes concerned that if you've done an appellate clerkship, you will be more inclined to want to sit at a desk and delve deeply into research/writing of complex issues than to get into the courtroom and handle routine stuff.

On the other hand, though, I know a COA clerk who got hired in the criminal division last year, so it's clearly not a hard-and-fast rule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:FWIW: I've already been told by multiple DOJ Honors interviewers at DOJ that you shouldn't even bother applying without an Article III clerkship, and you're already behind the curve if it's a district clerkship.
I've heard you definitely want/need a clerkship to get hired. But whether it's district or appellate -- from everything I've heard talking from multiple people there -- depends entirely on the component and division. Most of the civil divisions (especially Fed Programs and Appeals) are going to practically require an appellate clerkship. Civil rights is the same. The criminal divisions, however, prefer district court clerkships.

And for what it's worth, I've talked to a few at antitrust who say that clerkships are less important than demonstrated interest, good background in economics, and stellar grades. A clerkship will be icing, but isn't as necessary as the other components.
Yes, I should've been more precise. Some of the Criminal offices are interested in people with district clerkships (but some of the Crim offices do prefer CoA, and it's not just Crim Appellate). I was merely speaking generally from the Honors interviewing attorneys at the different divisions that I've spoken to.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Man, so I just compared the numbers. For long-term positions (this excludes EOIR, BOP, and a few others) here's the trend over the past 5 years (dates for interviewing year):

2009: 83-92
2010: 84-100
2011: 38-40
2012: 64-71
2013: 24

So 2011 was a really bad year. And this year they're only hiring 60% of what they did for that abysmal cycle. And there isn't a single USAO hiring. Rough. To say the least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 am

Sad face. I can kiss my dream of working at the DOJ ENRD goodbye it seems....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”