NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:41 am

Anything on Genova Burns or if they've extended offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Welp, after my MDM&C ding via snail mail today, I officially have no other NJ firms left. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back and those who have already received SA positions!

Peace! 8)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I decided to bump this one.

Does anyone have a list of NJ firms that even consider hiring 1L SAs? I known Lowenstein does, but beyond that NALP is just listing a few firms that don't actually appear to have hired any 1Ls in the past and maybe just checked the box off.

In the alternative, does anyone have a good strategy for finding these firms?

Thanks guys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Riker, Day pitney, lowenstein, sills, drinker, fox and recently, porzio all hire 1Ls. All but lowenstein and porzio I believe hire exclusively minority students to these spots from local NJ schools (specifically Rutgers minority program). lowenstein and porzio take non-minorities. If anyone knows otherwise, please enlighten us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I decided to bump this one.

Does anyone have a list of NJ firms that even consider hiring 1L SAs? I known Lowenstein does, but beyond that NALP is just listing a few firms that don't actually appear to have hired any 1Ls in the past and maybe just checked the box off.

In the alternative, does anyone have a good strategy for finding these firms?

Thanks guys.

Here's the list:
-


Very few jersey firms even have 2L SAs, and those that do hire very few - I think the largest class size in Jersey this year is 3 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The route to a firm job in NJ is different than other markets. If you want a firm job, intern for a (jersey) judge over 1L summer, then do an (unpaid) internship/externship in Jersey during 2L and/or 3L. That'll strengthen your chances of getting a clerkship. From there, network with firms as much as possible.

Basically, Jersey firms have enough applicants to fill their (rather small needs) and have figured out that rather than pay unlicensed and inexperienced students, they can get the government to pick up the tab for training newly minted lawyers.


Scooped. Portion doesn't have a summer program. Lowenstein is labor & employment only, so I don't know much about them

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I decided to bump this one.

Does anyone have a list of NJ firms that even consider hiring 1L SAs? I known Lowenstein does, but beyond that NALP is just listing a few firms that don't actually appear to have hired any 1Ls in the past and maybe just checked the box off.

In the alternative, does anyone have a good strategy for finding these firms?

Thanks guys.

Here's the list:
-


Very few jersey firms even have 2L SAs, and those that do hire very few - I think the largest class size in Jersey this year is 3 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The route to a firm job in NJ is different than other markets. If you want a firm job, intern for a (jersey) judge over 1L summer, then do an (unpaid) internship/externship in Jersey during 2L and/or 3L. That'll strengthen your chances of getting a clerkship. From there, network with firms as much as possible.

Basically, Jersey firms have enough applicants to fill their (rather small needs) and have figured out that rather than pay unlicensed and inexperienced students, they can get the government to pick up the tab for training newly minted lawyers.


Scooped. Portion doesn't have a summer program. Lowenstein is labor & employment only, so I don't know much about them


There's a lot wrong with this. Lowenstein is general practice and hires 15-20 SAs every year. The next largest class is Day Pitney with about 6. The "big law" jersey firms (ironic I know) generally fill openings through SAs. Most others take new associates through laterals (NYC burn outs) or straight from clerkships. Most of those coming from clerkships, clerked at least at state appellate level. Intern for a "jersey judge" if said jersey judge is the Supreme Court of Nj or a federal judge located in jersey.

A lot of top14s kids come back to want to work in nj so be aware only 10 or so kids from jersey schools get NJ big law 2l SA positions. The aforementioned 1l SA positions are also available.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I decided to bump this one.

Does anyone have a list of NJ firms that even consider hiring 1L SAs? I known Lowenstein does, but beyond that NALP is just listing a few firms that don't actually appear to have hired any 1Ls in the past and maybe just checked the box off.

In the alternative, does anyone have a good strategy for finding these firms?

Thanks guys.

Here's the list:
-


Very few jersey firms even have 2L SAs, and those that do hire very few - I think the largest class size in Jersey this year is 3 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The route to a firm job in NJ is different than other markets. If you want a firm job, intern for a (jersey) judge over 1L summer, then do an (unpaid) internship/externship in Jersey during 2L and/or 3L. That'll strengthen your chances of getting a clerkship. From there, network with firms as much as possible.

Basically, Jersey firms have enough applicants to fill their (rather small needs) and have figured out that rather than pay unlicensed and inexperienced students, they can get the government to pick up the tab for training newly minted lawyers.


Scooped. Portion doesn't have a summer program. Lowenstein is labor & employment only, so I don't know much about them


There's a lot wrong with this. Lowenstein is general practice and hires 15-20 SAs every year. The next largest class is Day Pitney with about 6. The "big law" jersey firms (ironic I know) generally fill openings through SAs. Most others take new associates through laterals (NYC burn outs) or straight from clerkships. Most of those coming from clerkships, clerked at least at state appellate level. Intern for a "jersey judge" if said jersey judge is the Supreme Court of Nj or a federal judge located in jersey.

A lot of top14s kids come back to want to work in nj so be aware only 10 or so kids from jersey schools get NJ big law SA positions.


Thanks for the advice guys. I'm at a T14 and looking to come back so hopefully something works out for me this year (fingers crossed) even though I know it's a longshot.

Since I'm not a minority, should I just apply to Lowenstein and Porzio? Or should I send applications to all of the other big firms mentioned? If I did, would I really just be wasting my time or is it bad form to submit applications to firms that don't say they'll take 1Ls on NALP?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I decided to bump this one.

Does anyone have a list of NJ firms that even consider hiring 1L SAs? I known Lowenstein does, but beyond that NALP is just listing a few firms that don't actually appear to have hired any 1Ls in the past and maybe just checked the box off.

In the alternative, does anyone have a good strategy for finding these firms?

Thanks guys.

Here's the list:
-


Very few jersey firms even have 2L SAs, and those that do hire very few - I think the largest class size in Jersey this year is 3 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The route to a firm job in NJ is different than other markets. If you want a firm job, intern for a (jersey) judge over 1L summer, then do an (unpaid) internship/externship in Jersey during 2L and/or 3L. That'll strengthen your chances of getting a clerkship. From there, network with firms as much as possible.

Basically, Jersey firms have enough applicants to fill their (rather small needs) and have figured out that rather than pay unlicensed and inexperienced students, they can get the government to pick up the tab for training newly minted lawyers.


Scooped. Portion doesn't have a summer program. Lowenstein is labor & employment only, so I don't know much about them


There's a lot wrong with this. Lowenstein is general practice and hires 15-20 SAs every year. The next largest class is Day Pitney with about 6. The "big law" jersey firms (ironic I know) generally fill openings through SAs. Most others take new associates through laterals (NYC burn outs) or straight from clerkships. Most of those coming from clerkships, clerked at least at state appellate level. Intern for a "jersey judge" if said jersey judge is the Supreme Court of Nj or a federal judge located in jersey.

A lot of top14s kids come back to want to work in nj so be aware only 10 or so kids from jersey schools get NJ big law SA positions.


Thanks for the advice guys. I'm at a T14 and looking to come back so hopefully something works out for me this year (fingers crossed) even though I know it's a longshot.

Since I'm not a minority, should I just apply to Lowenstein and Porzio? Or should I send applications to all of the other big firms mentioned? If I did, would I really just be wasting my time or is it bad form to submit applications to firms that don't say they'll take 1Ls on NALP?


Unfortunately, Porzio cut their summer associate program. I'm not sure if other firms have followed suit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 am

Porzio does its summer program for 1L's only. It's been that way for the past few years. Also, if you can get your hands on last summer's NJ Law Journal, they usually will have the number of 1L's along with number of 2L's.

But seriously as a 1L, just apply everywhere. The worst that can happen is either the firm tells you they're not hiring 1L's or that they don't plan to hire any SA's. It really can't hurt to just apply broadly, even if the firm doesn't appear to have a formal summer program if you just want to be in NJ this summer. There are all sorts of random firms that hire SA's (although you're not going to get the type of salary you'd get at one of the "BigLaw" SA programs).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Porzio does its summer program for 1L's only. It's been that way for the past few years. Also, if you can get your hands on last summer's NJ Law Journal, they usually will have the number of 1L's along with number of 2L's.

But seriously as a 1L, just apply everywhere. The worst that can happen is either the firm tells you they're not hiring 1L's or that they don't plan to hire any SA's. It really can't hurt to just apply broadly, even if the firm doesn't appear to have a formal summer program if you just want to be in NJ this summer. There are all sorts of random firms that hire SA's (although you're not going to get the type of salary you'd get at one of the "BigLaw" SA programs).


Nope. Porzio cut their summer program this past summer. Don't bother there.

Otherwise, apply everywhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I would even recommend applying to Porzio. Just because they don't take any 1Ls one year doesn't mean the program is gone forever.

Cole Schotz also hires 1Ls, but again, I think it's only through the diversity program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:04 pm

make sure you get out your apps as soon as possible to third circuit judges as well, if you're considering NJ for a 2l summer associate position. That'll pretty much giftwrap your way into a 2l SA position if you don't get a 1l SA position.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:43 pm

I was under the impression that most Circuit Court Judges did not take judicial interns. Is that incorrect?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was under the impression that most Circuit Court Judges did not take judicial interns. Is that incorrect?

Generally true, but there are a couple of exceptions. I'm not comfortable naming names, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 pm

I can confirm this, as it pertains to a couple of circuit judges who have chambers in nj.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:make sure you get out your apps as soon as possible to third circuit judges as well, if you're considering NJ for a 2l summer associate position. That'll pretty much giftwrap your way into a 2l SA position if you don't get a 1l SA position.


Thanks for the heads up guys. I applied to roughly 20 NJ firms yesterday and was originally planning to wait on applying to judges for another 3 weeks or so. Would you say that's too late for 3rd Circuit Judges?

Also, how can I find a list of judges who have their chambers in NJ?

Thanks again to the multiple people who have responded, very helpful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2013 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Ask your career services or use the third circuit website.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.