EIW for a transfer student at Boalt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

EIW for a transfer student at Boalt

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am

I'm am transferring to Boalt and will be participating in EIW. I'm from Southern California but want to live and work in the Bay Area more than anywhere else. My 1L year was spent at a T50 in the Midwest (large scholarship + low cost of living led me to choose this school over a Bay Area T2) and I was at the top of my class. I know SF is very conscious of "ties" and, though I'm not from the area, I've spent a lot of time in the Bay and my parents will be retiring there in about a year. I'm sure I'll get asked about my choice to head to the Midwest for my 1L year, so if anyone has suggestions on how to best answer those questions I'd love some input.

I don't have an IP background, so I know not to pursue firms that are IP heavy. Any suggestion on which firms to target? Both transactional and litigation work seem very interesting to me, but exit options are supposedly better for those with transactional backgrounds.

I've heard that MoFo, Kirkland, Latham, WSGR, STB, Fenwick and Munger are great firms for transactional work, but please correct me if I'm mistaken or missing some key firms. I'm hoping I have a good shot at these firms due to my 1L grades, but are any of these firms transfer-averse?

hiima3L

Silver

Re: EIW for a transfer student at Boalt

Post by hiima3L » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 am

I don't know why there is this myth on TLS that SF is conscious about ties. Thousands of people move to SF every year because, well, it is SF.

I went to school in the Bay Area for 7 years and of the people I met from CA, upwards of 75% were are from SoCal. Saying you want to live in SF is not a problem whatsoever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:28 am

Follow-up question: A few weeks back, I was invited to do a mock interview prior to OCI with a firm I'm very interested in. Recently, the associate with whom I "interviewed" sent me an email asking for my updated resume and transcript so that she could pass everything along to the recruiting department. This firm is in the market I'm leaving but has offices in California. I would rather work for the California offices, but I'd rather work anywhere than be unemployed. So, I told her about my transfer, said I was still interested in this office, and asked if I could come in to learn more about the firm before I left to California. She said that the recruiting department will be contacting me to set something up. If this turns out to be a call-back style interview and I'm lucky enough to snag an offer out of this, will I still be able to interview with the firm's other office(s) in California (at least one of which will be at EIW, I believe)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm am transferring to Boalt and will be participating in EIW. I'm from Southern California but want to live and work in the Bay Area more than anywhere else. My 1L year was spent at a T50 in the Midwest (large scholarship + low cost of living led me to choose this school over a Bay Area T2) and I was at the top of my class. I know SF is very conscious of "ties" and, though I'm not from the area, I've spent a lot of time in the Bay and my parents will be retiring there in about a year. I'm sure I'll get asked about my choice to head to the Midwest for my 1L year, so if anyone has suggestions on how to best answer those questions I'd love some input.

I don't have an IP background, so I know not to pursue firms that are IP heavy. Any suggestion on which firms to target? Both transactional and litigation work seem very interesting to me, but exit options are supposedly better for those with transactional backgrounds.

I've heard that MoFo, Kirkland, Latham, WSGR, STB, Fenwick and Munger are great firms for transactional work, but please correct me if I'm mistaken or missing some key firms. I'm hoping I have a good shot at these firms due to my 1L grades, but are any of these firms transfer-averse?
Congrats on the transfer. You may want to check NALP on those firms. Just off the top of my head I know that Latham SF is almost 85% Litigation/Unassigned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”