GULC Transfer - Bidding Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC Transfer - Bidding Help

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Some/many of the firms indicates "Legal Research and Writing Fellow" on their requirements. What does that mean?

sambeber

Re: GULC Transfer - Bidding Help

Postby sambeber » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 am

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Georgetown+Legal+R ... ing+Fellow

In other news, I'm pretty sure no firms actually require it.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am

sambeber wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Georgetown+Legal+Research+and+Writing+Fellow

In other news, I'm pretty sure no firms actually require it.

I think you're correct that no firms require it, but many look upon it as an added bonus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 am

OP here: what exactly is proper bidding strategy? The gist I'm getting here is that high bids should go to firms with a lower bid to screener ratio (i.e., harder to get/more people bidding on them) and lower bids should go to firms where I have a better chance of getting a screener. How does this translate to transfers? I'm so confused about what bid strategy means exactly. So far all I've done is make a spreadsheet of the factors that I care about (# of interview slots, class size, 2012 bid to screener rate, 2012 offer rate, target market/1st alternate target market/2nd alternate target market, historical median GPA, historical high GPA, pay, etc.) What do I do from here?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Along the same lines as OP, are there any firms that are really anti or pro transfer? I was top 5% of a lower ranked T1 (at a school w/decent grade inflation so the GPA itself is pretty high) and just curious if there are any firms I just categorically should or should not bid on (NYC, DC, CHI). Corporate/transactional law so obviously W&C and other super selective litigation firms are already off the list.

Return to “Legal Employment”