UChicago OCI 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also, considering the masthead for LR comes out Monday, it's safe to assume you didn't get LR.

Anonymous User wrote:
Word is there's another round of LR calls coming out Monday. Hang in there fellas.

Well, this is confusing.

I don't mean to create false hope. This is just what I heard.

Well. What's your source?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 am

LR members have received the new masthead and various other info with every indication that membership has been finalized. If additional offers were made tomorrow, we would all know who these "second choice" people were. There is no way that is happening. I'm sorry, but don't let that poster get your hopes up.

HoratioHornblower

Postby HoratioHornblower » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:14 am

Last edited by HoratioHornblower on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 am

Unfortunately I can't out my source. But we have one that's on LR saying the opposite so ignore mine.

HoratioHornblower wrote:That poster should be outed for being a mega-dick. Trolling the TLS forums, how dare he!

I think this is uncalled for. I made it clear that it was something I heard by saying "word is." This thread should be a place where people can share information without witchhunts ensuing on the off-chance it's wrong. Everything we post isn't going to always be 100% confirmed (such as if a firm is done with callbacks or not) and I think we need to stop this behavior before it chills the sharing of potentially useful information throughout the OCI process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately I can't out my source. But we have one that's on LR saying the opposite so ignore mine.

HoratioHornblower wrote:That poster should be outed for being a mega-dick. Trolling the TLS forums, how dare he!

I think this is uncalled for. I made it clear that it was something I heard by saying "word is." This thread should be a place where people can share information without witchhunts ensuing on the off-chance it's wrong. Everything we post isn't going to always be 100% confirmed (such as if a firm is done with callbacks or not) and I think we need to stop this behavior before it chills the sharing of potentially useful information throughout the OCI process.

The information you shared was helpful. Suggesting that these people would be "second choice" is what Horatio was probably objecting to.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 am

Why can't we all just be friends

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am

HoratioHornblower wrote:This thread should be a place where people can share information without witchhunts ensuing on the off-chance it's wrong. Everything we post isn't going to always be 100% confirmed (such as if a firm is done with callbacks or not) and I think we need to stop this behavior before it chills the sharing of potentially useful information throughout the OCI process.

This is more important for OCI than LR, but I do agree that when people are providing an inside scoop, they should provide a source. It would be helpful to know whether information is based on OCS advice, 2L intel about what happened next year, an attorney at the firm, etc.

Also, I don't think the likelihood of "outing" a source is increased that much by giving some vague info. If your source actually reads these posts, they will probably suspect you based on the information you provided anyway... especially since some clearly incorrect information like this discussion of more LR offers was probably not being offered by multiple people.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is more important for OCI than LR, but I do agree that when people are providing an inside scoop, they should provide a source. It would be helpful to know whether information is based on OCS advice, 2L intel about what happened next year, an attorney at the firm, etc.

Also, I don't think the likelihood of "outing" a source is increased that much by giving some vague info. If your source actually reads these posts, they will probably suspect you based on the information you provided anyway... especially since some clearly incorrect information like this discussion of more LR offers was probably not being offered by multiple people.

I think this is entirely reasonable. I do, however, want to say that if it's either 1) give info with no source or 2) not give info; I'd prefer the former.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Getting back on topic--
How low can I bid Ivins Phillips & Barker? Only 11 slots, but I doubt there are too many people interested in a tax boutique.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Getting back on topic--
How low can I bid Ivins Phillips & Barker? Only 11 slots, but I doubt there are too many people interested in a tax boutique.

You have my word that I won't be bidding it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Getting back on topic--

TITCR. Seconded. Don't waste a top-20 bid on it, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Getting back on topic--

How selective are these guys? I don't think we have any associates there, so I don't have any data points. Any older folks know anyone who got a CB and/or offer from them? The few associates they have all look well-credentialed, but not necessarily Wachtell-competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Getting back on topic--

third. good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

40 new LR staffers. Interesting.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:40 new LR staffers. Interesting.

Yeah, that seems really high. I thought it was around thirty only a couple of years ago. But the higher number fits in with the current trend.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, that seems really high. I thought it was around thirty only a couple of years ago. But the higher number fits in with the current trend.

They are slowly increasing the staffer pool to (a) make being a staffer less arduous than when back in the day when we were staffers, and (b) to help more people have a shot at fed clerkships. I bet this year it was top 15% that graded on.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Emma. wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

They are slowly increasing the staffer pool to (a) make being a staffer less arduous than when back in the day when we were staffers, and (b) to help more people have a shot at fed clerkships. I bet this year it was top 15% that graded on.

Makes sense and probably overdue to be honest. Also puts us more in line with elite schools of our size (e.g. Stanford).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Emma. wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Anyone with a rough idea of the cut off?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Anyone with a rough idea of the cut off?

If I'm right and grade on was top 15% this year then the cutoff will almost certainly be below 180, probably somewhere between 179.5 and 180.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:31 pm

A limited offer to rising 2Ls: Send me your GPA, your market preferences, and your bid list. I will then tell you how stupid or risky I think your list is given the former two pieces of information, and I may suggest changes.

The first five are guaranteed responses. After that, no promises. Credentials: I think I have a pretty good handle on OCI and I can give specifics about my performance in PMs.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:33 am

Here's my free advice: keep a wine glass in your bedroom during OCI or else you might find yourself drinking straight from the bottle.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Here's my free advice: keep a wine glass in your bedroom during OCI or else you might find yourself drinking straight from the bottle.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:20 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Here's my free advice: keep a wine glass in your bedroom during OCI or else you might find yourself drinking straight from the bottle.

And don't be a dick at Booth.

Return to “Legal Employment”