UChicago OCI 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 am

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at biglaw in ny or hong kong. not chicago since i don't have ties to the region. what are the approximate grade cutoffs in both areas?

Doesn't effect you, bidding is done just do as well as you can in all of your interviews and get a job.

If we tell you the GPA cutoff is 179 or 174, I don't see how your behavior changes either way.

i'm a prospective applicant, not a student here. i want to see how strict the grade cutoffs are here before i decide whether to apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 am

dear 0L, click this

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:46 am

This seems like a good time to remind you all (1) how terrible it is to have 0Ls in the OCI thread and (2) how ugly one of your own classmates has been. This is something a then-0L posted last year. While this person was essentially run out of TLS as a result (and many of us know who he is IRL), I happen to know that he still lurks and posts anonymously. Take it as a reminder. If you don't have something helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

anewaphorist wrote:How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

Postby 2014 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at biglaw in ny or hong kong. not chicago since i don't have ties to the region. what are the approximate grade cutoffs in both areas?

Doesn't effect you, bidding is done just do as well as you can in all of your interviews and get a job.

If we tell you the GPA cutoff is 179 or 174, I don't see how your behavior changes either way.

i'm a prospective applicant, not a student here. i want to see how strict the grade cutoffs are here before i decide whether to apply.

First of all it's stupid this is anonymous, I can't really gather what sensitive information you are protecting here and you aren't supposed to be in this forum anyway.

However, if you want to PM me I can probably help you with the NY question, no one knows our HK cutoffs since it's not a market that any school, including Chicago, regularly feeds into and is probably way more dependent on ties/language skills than it is grades.

Also lol'd at Haymarket's post

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Could you please share grades range, LR, and any other pertinent info such as ties?

in order: 187, LR + Secondary Journal + Moot Court + Glee Club, and get out of employment. 2L's are not guinea pigs for 0L gunners

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:

Please don't apply.

coathanger

Postby coathanger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Does our school have a hospitality suite?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 pm

coathanger wrote:Does our school have a hospitality suite?

Some other schools have their OCI at a hotel, and a "hospitality suite" is a room that a firm rents out, separate from the room where interviews are being conducted, where students can come by and get pens and ask about the firm and crap like that. Our OCI is done in the business school building instead of a hotel, and there are no hospitality suites.

However, there is no better hospitality than the Booth School of Business, from the sun that always gets in your eyes to the complete lack of cell phone coverage.

Seriously everyone, bring a cell phone charger if you're going to be there long. My own died easily thanks to its constant searching for a signal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Is it generally TCR to draft a uniform cover letter for those firms that request one? The consensus seems to be that they don't read it anyways...

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
coathanger wrote:Does our school have a hospitality suite?

Some other schools have their OCI at a hotel, and a "hospitality suite" is a room that a firm rents out, separate from the room where interviews are being conducted, where students can come by and get pens and ask about the firm and crap like that. Our OCI is done in the business school building instead of a hotel, and there are no hospitality suites.

However, there is no better hospitality than the Booth School of Business, from the sun that always gets in your eyes to the complete lack of cell phone coverage.

Seriously everyone, bring a cell phone charger if you're going to be there long. My own died easily thanks to its constant searching for a signal.

Booth is like Superman's Fortress of Solitude: reflective, isolated, and solemn.

HoratioHornblower

Postby HoratioHornblower » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Cahill Snail Mail Ding.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Also, here is another piece of advice from someone who's been on one end of this experience. For those of you who are considering or planning on trying to slip in a resume drop off or chat in between interviews, God dammit be aware that one of your classmates is waiting to go in.

Talk to the person that is waiting and ask if it's okay to insert yourself awkwardly right before his interview, and do not do anything that is going to eat into his interview time. This has happened to people (including me) and it's incredibly bad form. Or even better, wait and do it right before a break when one of your classmates isn't waiting to go in.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Haymarket wrote:Also, here is another piece of advice from someone who's been on one end of this experience. For those of you who are considering or planning on trying to slip in a resume drop off or chat in between interviews, God dammit be aware that one of your classmates is waiting to go in.

Talk to the person that is waiting and ask if it's okay to insert yourself awkwardly right before his interview, and do not do anything that is going to eat into his interview time. This has happened to people (including me) and it's incredibly bad form. Or even better, wait and do it right before a break when one of your classmates isn't waiting to go in.

We've been told by OCS that we aren't to talk to interviewers between interviews, and that we are required to wait until the morning or mid-day break to approach them. I don't think this'll be an issue.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:37 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Also, here is another piece of advice from someone who's been on one end of this experience. For those of you who are considering or planning on trying to slip in a resume drop off or chat in between interviews, God dammit be aware that one of your classmates is waiting to go in.

We've been told by OCS that we aren't to talk to interviewers between interviews, and that we are required to wait until the morning or mid-day break to approach them. I don't think this'll be an issue.

I think that is a change for this year, then, and it's a good one. If it was a rule last year, people ignored it.

Edit: I should add that there is an obvious consequence to this change. Interviewers from firms like Kirkland are going to be swarmed as soon as they open the door before a break. Enjoy that awkward situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Cahill Snail Mail Ding.

On the ding train too. Brown Rudnik and Kasowitz Benson last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:43 pm

HoratioHornblower wrote:Cahill Snail Mail Ding.

Offered Cahill CB last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cahill Snail Mail Ding.

On the ding train too. Brown Rudnik and Kasowitz Benson last week.

Nothing from Rudnick or Kasowitz yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats?

178.4, some unrelated WE, layed the groundwork there networking before submitting app

I was also same anon from two pages ago.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 pm

laid

FTFY.

User has been outed.

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:

Lol would it really surprise you if people ignored that "rule" altogether? I would expect nothing less from us.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Make sure you all cut open the vents on your suits. If you forget, OCS has scissors for that. And just try to avoid being a dick to your classmates.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Xifeng wrote: And just try to avoid being a dick to your classmates.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:54 pm

anewaphorist wrote:
laid

FTFY.

User has been outed.

Speak of the priggish devil.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:

You are the worst. Pick another school.

Return to “Legal Employment”