UChicago OCI 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SHIA

New

Re: UChicago OCI 2013

Post by SHIA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:35 am

Haymarket wrote:A limited offer to rising 2Ls: Send me your GPA, your market preferences, and your bid list. I will then tell you how stupid or risky I think your list is given the former two pieces of information, and I may suggest changes.

The first five are guaranteed responses. After that, no promises. Credentials: I think I have a pretty good handle on OCI and I can give specifics about my performance in PMs.
Did you get 10+ offers? What's a "pretty good handle" on OCI?

User was outed for anon abuse.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:A limited offer to rising 2Ls: Send me your GPA, your market preferences, and your bid list. I will then tell you how stupid or risky I think your list is given the former two pieces of information, and I may suggest changes.

The first five are guaranteed responses. After that, no promises. Credentials: I think I have a pretty good handle on OCI and I can give specifics about my performance in PMs.
The man is offering a free service. Either take it or gtfo, but don't start questioning his credentials.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Why is this anonymous?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:23 am

I don't see a downside to soliciting feedback from more than one person, so here's mine.

GPA: 178-179
Journal: Secondary
Markets: NY and Chi, mainly

Bid List: Rank - Firm - (City) - (# of screeners)

1. Vedder Price (Chi) (21)
2. Sidley Austin (Chi) (84)
3. Kirkland & Ellis (Chi) (84)
4. DLA Piper (Chi) (14)
5. Jenner & Block (Chi) (63)
6. Cleary (NY) (42)
7. Proskauer (NY (21)
8. Skadden (NY) (42)
9. Crowell & Moring (DC) (21)
10. Gibson Dunn (NY) (42)
11. Baker & McKenzie (Chi) (21)
12. Baker Botts (DC) (21)
13. Schiff Hardin (Chi) (84)
14. Davis Polk (NY) (42)
15. Simpson Thacher (NY) (52)
16. Katten Muchin (Chi) (42)
17. Skadden (Chi) (84)
18. McDermott (Chi) (63)
19. Foley & Lardner (Chi) (42)
20. Debevoise & Plimpton (NY) (63)
21. O’Melveny & Myers (DC) (21)
22. Mayer Brown (Chi) (63)
23. Latham & Watkins (Chi) (50)
24. Paul Hastings (Chi) (31)
25. Fried Frank (NY) (21)
26. Boies Schiller (NY, Lit.) (21)
27. Morgan Lewis (Chi) (21)
28. Paul Weiss (NY) (42)
29. Curtis Mallet-Prevost (NY) (21)
30. Ropes & Gray (Chi) (42)
31. Dentons (Chi) (21)
32. Drinker Biddle (Chi) (33)
33. Freshfields (NY) (14)
34. Grippo & Elden (Chi) (21)
35. goldberg kohn (Chi) (42)
36. Shearman & Sterling (NY) (21)
37. Kirkland & Ellis (NY) (21)
38. Jenner & Block (DC) (21)
39. McGuire Woods (Chi) (21)
40. WilmerHale (NY) (21)
41. Reed Smith (Chi) (21)
42. K&L Gates (Chi) (21)
43. Perkins Coie (Chi) (21)
44. Sidley Austin (NY) (21)
45. Dechert (NY) (21)
46. Greenberg Traurig (Chi) (21)
47. Miller Shakman & Beem (Chi) (21)
48. Barack Ferrazzano (Chi) (42)
49. Cadwalader (NY) (21)
50. Hughes Hubbard (NY) (21)
51. Allen & Overy (NY) (21)
52. Winston & Strawn (Chi) (42)

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Maintaining our social grace stereotypes splendidly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Allbeginsagain

New

Post by Allbeginsagain » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 am

gchatbrah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sounded like a valid question. Response?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see a downside to soliciting feedback from more than one person, so here's mine.

This list is great... if you don't want to get many screeners past 16...

Do you have a reason for bidding the firms where they are? Do you have ties to DC? Shooting for Chi/DC/NYC will inevitably put you in an awkward position... Those that want DC will bid most of them higher--same goes for NY/Chi but to a lesser extent.

(Caveat: I'm in your class)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Do you have a reason for bidding the firms where they are? Do you have ties to DC? Shooting for Chi/DC/NYC will inevitably put you in an awkward position...
Re: ties, I worked and lived in DC for a summer. I'm perfectly open to the possibility that these ties are insufficient.

My thinking was not necessarily to shoot for DC so much as bid on 3-4 firms that do the kind of work I'm interested in, yet don't require 180+ and LR (like, say, W&C or Covington).

Your point is noted, but I think you might be overstating the effect on screening interview volume of bidding a few firms outside NY and Chi--especially in the case of someone who chooses not to bid popular NYC firms like Cravath or SullCrom.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have a reason for bidding the firms where they are? Do you have ties to DC? Shooting for Chi/DC/NYC will inevitably put you in an awkward position...
Re: ties, I worked and lived in DC for a summer. I'm perfectly open to the possibility that these ties are insufficient.

My thinking was not necessarily to shoot for DC so much as bid on 3-4 firms that do the kind of work I'm interested in, yet don't require 180+ and LR (like, say, W&C or Covington).

Your point is noted, but I think you might be overstating the effect on screening interview volume of bidding a few firms outside NY and Chi, especially since I don't plan on bidding Cravath or SullCrom.

I don't think it's overstated. Those bidding DC will likely have those firms higher so 1) you're wasting bids and 2) you're causing NY/Chi bids to drop lower for no reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SHIA

New

Post by SHIA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The man is offering a free service. Either take it or gtfo, but don't start questioning his credentials.
Would you take advice from just anyone? It's more than appropriate to question whether the person giving the advice is qualified to do so.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Would you take advice from just anyone? It's more than appropriate to question whether the person giving the advice is qualified to do so.
Does anyone else love that our class is so dysfunctional?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Would you take advice from just anyone? It's more than appropriate to question whether the person giving the advice is qualified to do so.
Does anyone else love that our class is so dysfunctional?
What kind of credentials do you have for judging what is and isn't dysfunctional?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:31 pm

TemporarySaint wrote: What kind of credentials do you have for judging what is and isn't dysfunctional?
I'm offering a free judgment. Either take it or GTFO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Partner: "It's important to show an interest in a particular city during the interview"

Anon: *Raises hand*

Partner: "Yes?"

Anon: "If I may ask, what are your credentials? I don't take advice from just anyone. After all, you haven't been through OCI for like thirty years, and who knows how successful you were even back then. If you don't mind, could you tell me how many callbacks you had?"

Partner: :shock:

SHIA

New

Post by SHIA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Partner: "It's important to show an interest in a particular city during the interview"

Anon: "If I may ask, what are your credentials? I don't take advice from just anyone. After all, you haven't been through OCI for like thirty years, and who knows how successful you were even back then. If you don't mind, could you tell me how many callbacks you had?"

How is this example relevant? At least bring up something remotely related, we are talking about a rising 3L giving advice to rising 2Ls. Nice try!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How is this example relevant? At least bring up something remotely related, we are talking about a rising 3L giving advice to rising 2Ls. Nice try!
Please, tell me a single group that is better qualified to review a OCI 2013 bidlist than rising 3Ls.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

How is this example relevant? At least bring up something remotely related, we are talking about a rising 3L giving advice to rising 2Ls. Nice try!
Again, why is this anonymous?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see a downside to soliciting feedback from more than one person, so here's mine.

GPA: 178-179
Journal: Secondary
Markets: NY and Chi, mainly

Bid List: Rank - Firm - (City) - (# of screeners)
You could almost certainly bump Sidley and K&E down a slot. They don't need to be 2-3. You'll almost certainly get both if they are 3-4 or even 4-5. I'd imagine there's still a really good chance of getting both at 5-6.

The DC bids are kind of random too. Do you have DC ties? If not I'd probably scrub DC altogether.

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

Again, why is this anonymous?
+1

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:52 pm

just report anon abuse, bros

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Thank you for reminding me why I stopped helping people on TLS: many of you are petulant pricks who don't even read what I say.

For those of you who have sent me messages (and not gotten a response), sorry for the delay. I will do my best to get to them eventually, ideally in the next day or two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalano

New

Post by kalano » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Allbeginsagain wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

kalano

New

Post by kalano » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Thank you for reminding me why I stopped helping people on TLS: many of you are petulant pricks who don't even read what I say.

For those of you who have sent me messages (and not gotten a response), sorry for the delay. I will do my best to get to them eventually, ideally in the next day or two.
wow

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 pm

kalano wrote:
Allbeginsagain wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:
SHIA wrote:Did you get 10+ offers? What's a "pretty good handle" on OCI?
+1
Did you really think I wouldn't recognize your alt, SHIA? Fuck off.

kalano has been permabanned, and SHIA has been banned for three days for alting. Next time it's perma for all your accounts and IPs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

C/O 2013 transfer here, still happy to give OCI advice to (comparatively) cheerful, socially well-adjusted C/O 2015 transfers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”