UChicago OCI 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How's everyone doing at converting CBs into offers? It's looking like I'll be 0-3 so far.. Hoping I don't continue screwing up
Have you been dinged from all 3, are you are just assuming? Did they tell you when you should expect to hear back? My sense is that waiting for a week or two (or more) is totally normal and the person who is 3 for 3 is in the minority as far as hearing back so quickly (as they noted).

If you have three dings, you are probably doing something wrong in interviews and need to fix that with something more proactive than "hoping."
But if you haven't heard from the three, chill out. Focus on continuing to do well in callbacks and the offers will come when they come.

HoratioHornblower

New

Post by HoratioHornblower » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Last edited by HoratioHornblower on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How's everyone doing at converting CBs into offers? It's looking like I'll be 0-3 so far.. Hoping I don't continue screwing up
Have you been dinged from all 3, are you are just assuming? Did they tell you when you should expect to hear back? My sense is that waiting for a week or two (or more) is totally normal and the person who is 3 for 3 is in the minority as far as hearing back so quickly (as they noted).

If you have three dings, you are probably doing something wrong in interviews and need to fix that with something more proactive than "hoping."
But if you haven't heard from the three, chill out. Focus on continuing to do well in callbacks and the offers will come when they come.
Call OCS now if you're actually 0-3. You don't want to keep losing opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3/3 so far, but may have been lucky with when hiring committees met. What do you think is causing your bad luck?
market?
CA. Agree with previous posters - if haven't heard, chill. If have, then something is wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Going 0 for 3 is not abnormal... Every year there are stories on this forum of people striking out with 6, 7, even 10 CB's. Obviously there is problem if you're striking out with that many CB's. But in today's environment, having 3 CB's is not safe at all, and just because you started 0 for 3 doesn't necessarily mean you are doing anything wrong and doesn't mean you're headed for disaster (as long as you have some more CB's).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 am

Of the ones i've heard from, 3/3. NY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:36 am

Speaking of unfortunate outcomes, I'm the transfer student who split between Chi/NY a few pages back in the thread and I haven't secured any callbacks (about 6 pending, two of which I think I may actually have a shot with). I think that I bid too riskily, bidding for the top firms in NY/Chi and evidently I wasn't able to complement my strong grades with strong interviewing/other factors adequately. I've been mailing out to Chicago and NY firms and I talked to career services about how to more effectively interview and job strategies. Any advice?

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Speaking of unfortunate outcomes, I'm the transfer student who split between Chi/NY a few pages back in the thread and I haven't secured any callbacks (about 6 pending, two of which I think I may actually have a shot with). I think that I bid too riskily, bidding for the top firms in NY/Chi and evidently I wasn't able to complement my strong grades with strong interviewing/other factors adequately. I've been mailing out to Chicago and NY firms and I talked to career services about how to more effectively interview and job strategies. Any advice?
Mass mail your ass off. Put NALP away, bring out Martindale, and mail every firm with more than 10 attorneys. You might have to call these firms to get a working email address, and the response rate will be very low, but you need every possibility you can get at this point. I would think there should be at least 70 firms on your Chicago mailing list and 200 (probably a lot more) on your NY one, if you need some kind of target.

You should also expand the search to any other markets that you could conceivably have ties to or tell a convincing story about why you want to be there. DC is the easiest one off the top of my head, but if there's anywhere you've lived / have family / went to college / really anything.

Other than interview prep and broad application, there's really not very much you can do at this point. Hiring is definitely not over yet, so keep mailing and don't get discouraged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Speaking of unfortunate outcomes, I'm the transfer student who split between Chi/NY a few pages back in the thread and I haven't secured any callbacks (about 6 pending, two of which I think I may actually have a shot with). I think that I bid too riskily, bidding for the top firms in NY/Chi and evidently I wasn't able to complement my strong grades with strong interviewing/other factors adequately. I've been mailing out to Chicago and NY firms and I talked to career services about how to more effectively interview and job strategies. Any advice?
Mass mail your ass off. Put NALP away, bring out Martindale, and mail every firm with more than 10 attorneys. You might have to call these firms to get a working email address, and the response rate will be very low, but you need every possibility you can get at this point. I would think there should be at least 70 firms on your Chicago mailing list and 200 (probably a lot more) on your NY one, if you need some kind of target.

You should also expand the search to any other markets that you could conceivably have ties to or tell a convincing story about why you want to be there. DC is the easiest one off the top of my head, but if there's anywhere you've lived / have family / went to college / really anything.

Other than interview prep and broad application, there's really not very much you can do at this point. Hiring is definitely not over yet, so keep mailing and don't get discouraged.
Thanks for the advice. Frankly, I would be happy to develop my career in just about any region, but it's tough for me to sell this because I have barely any ties to any other major markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Barack rejection letter

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Frankly, I would be happy to develop my career in just about any region, but it's tough for me to sell this because I have barely any ties to any other major markets.

I'd go with practice areas then. IP (even soft IP) in Cali, energy in tx, M&A/Bankruptcy in NY, Antitrust in DC. Learn about the practice area and sell it hard. UChicago and making up a good story worked for me in Chi. I'm sure there are other smaller markets you could link yourself to, but this should connect you with major markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm

So are we not posting callbacks-->offers in this thread? I for one think it would be useful/helpful while waiting for mine..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So are we not posting callbacks-->offers in this thread? I for one think it would be useful/helpful while waiting for mine..
Fair point. Mayer chi offer, callback was last week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 pm

S&C offer. Simpson offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 pm

S&C offer during interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So are we not posting callbacks-->offers in this thread? I for one think it would be useful/helpful while waiting for mine..
Fair point. Mayer chi offer, callback was last week.
Well damn. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:S&C offer. Simpson offer.
How quick was Simpson? Had callback today, just wondering when I should expect to hear.

Debevoise offer -- 3 day turnaround; Milbank offer -- 24 hour turnaround; Kirkland NY offer -- 4 business day turnaround.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How quick was Simpson? Had callback today, just wondering when I should expect to hear.

Debevoise offer -- 3 day turnaround; Milbank offer -- 24 hour turnaround; Kirkland NY offer -- 4 business day turnaround.
When did you interview with Milbank and Kirkland? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 pm

I just want to point out that offer timelines (aside from S&C) are very individualized. Use the thread to help you set general expectations, but if you don't get it in that specific time-frame, stay calm and don't stress unnecessarily.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When did you interview with Milbank and Kirkland? Thanks!
Kirk: Interview Wed --> Offer Tues; Milbank: Interview Mon --> Offer Tuesday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just want to point out that offer timelines (aside from S&C) are very individualized. Use the thread to help you set general expectations, but if you don't get it in that specific time-frame, stay calm and don't stress unnecessarily.
+1. Had the Milbank attorneys I interviewed with not gotten their evals in so quickly, I probably wouldn't have been discussed soon enough by the hiring committee --> would have found out Friday. Take all of these timelines with a grain of salt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just want to point out that offer timelines (aside from S&C) are very individualized. Use the thread to help you set general expectations, but if you don't get it in that specific time-frame, stay calm and don't stress unnecessarily.
+1. Had the Milbank attorneys I interviewed with not gotten their evals in so quickly, I probably wouldn't have been discussed soon enough by the hiring committee --> would have found out Friday. Take all of these timelines with a grain of salt.
Thanks for providing the timelines!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

It was a next day offer. I'd expect something similar given their timeline right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was a next day offer. I'd expect something similar given their timeline right now.
that tends to be their MO anyway. thanks for the heads up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 am

Any rejections from S&C or Cleary?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”