PwC Financial Services - Regulatory Advisory Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: PwC Financial Services - Regulatory Advisory

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do exit options look like from this position? How much can you expect to be earning 5 years in after JD?
From what I understand from people in the position, exit options are great. They are generally to compliance roles at large banks or other regulatory compliance consulting firms. There are also possibilities for compliance positions at federal regulators but these are really hard to get. Nobody can predict what you will be making 5 years out, but if you go into in-house compliance or a federal regulator it will probably be in the 130-150k range. If you make manager at PwC or another consulting firm it will be more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:00 pm

do associates going straight from law school take the bar? when do they usually start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do associates going straight from law school take the bar? when do they usually start?
It seems like most, if not all, sr. associates coming straight from law school do take the bar exam. Starting date is mid-September.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:12 am

How does hiring work? I'm a rising 2L and I just got an interview with them in Texas for a tax associate position in their international tax, transfer pricing, or state & local controversy practices. Seems like a typical 30 minute OCI type interview.

Do they have a summer program like law firms do? Or do they just hire like 1 1/2 years in advance?

Also, does anyone know what's involved in those specific practice areas?

I know nothing about what these firms do and the interview is Monday...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does hiring work? I'm a rising 2L and I just got an interview with them in Texas for a tax associate position in their international tax, transfer pricing, or state & local controversy practices. Seems like a typical 30 minute OCI type interview.

Do they have a summer program like law firms do? Or do they just hire like 1 1/2 years in advance?

Also, does anyone know what's involved in those specific practice areas?

I know nothing about what these firms do and the interview is Monday...
I'm a rising 3L just finishing up my summer with PWC in international tax...

My first thought is, those are 3 really disparate areas.

They will be hiring for a summer internship, which is relatively similar to a law school summer program. You'll get paid hourly, but it's basically the same yearly salary you'd make as an associate divided by 40 hours a week. You'll get OT for 40+ hours also though, which is nice. They generally give fulltime offers to nearly everyone. I think it's 90% plus over all their interns, which includes a bunch of 20-22 y/o undergrads who are prone to do really dumb stuff.

I don't really know much at all about the other two practice areas, but I can speak to international tax. What you'll generally be doing is advising on cross-border transactions and doing other analysis to make sure hedge funds and other (mostly) institutional investors are operating tax-efficiently with regard to withholding tax especially, but also capital gains and interest. In practice, this involves preparation of a lot of powerpoint slides detailing, step by step, but not with too much technical detail, a potential transaction or shift in internal practices to the client.

PWC is big on you keeping up with relevant current events to the area, which is really the only aspect of their interview questions that differs from most biglaw interviews. Be sure that you can at least talk broadly about current issues in the area, and you'll be in very good shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:07 am

Great info, thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:33 am

Bumping for the new year! Have my interview today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:38 pm

Any callbacks???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 pm

To Anon who had the interview:
Do you mind if I ask when you applied? I applied in August & was trying to find out more from my school's Career Center, but they gave me some story about PwC telling them they were not even reviewing apps yet (the deadline listed for the position I applied for was Oct 4 or so; East Coast). Did you keep up with what was happening w/ your app through your PwC profile? Sorry for all the questions, just have had a heck of a time trying to find out what their process is like. Hope your interview went well - Thanks -

PS - I should've mentioned I applied for a permanent position - not an internship. Regardless, would still be interested in hearing about your interview

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Got superday coming up next week, anyone here going?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 am

Can anyone speak to how easy/difficult it is to transition into one of these positions or other similar regulatory compliance positions after a year or two of biglaw? Would this be a conceivably wise pathway to better hours?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm

I would assume that getting PwC risk and regulatory from biglaw is definitely doable, and probably easy if you have certain intangibles. Your resume will be good and you'll have the teamwork, leadership, client services experience down. The key though is that in consulting they are not just looking for anyone with a good resume and good grades, they want people that will be in front of clients every single day, so you not only have to be well-qualified, but have to look the part and sound the part (i.e. have confidence).

Hours are way, way better (like not even in the same stratosphere) then biglaw, but you also could be traveling a lot, which is stressful in itself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:00 pm

are there case interviews for jds?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Cases or PTs

I haven't done the interview process, but from what I've read on the PwC site & heard from a 3L who recently accepted an offer (in Tax) I don't think there are any cases or PTs like with some other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:56 pm

How was superday everyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 am

i enjoyed superday, wating to hear.

to poster above - no case studies for JDs, mostly just behavioral questions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Just got done w the NYC financial regulatory services interview day yesterday, it wasn't that bad. I got one jd, and 2 mbas for the interviews--All one-on-one (didnt know who i'd get till i walked through the door). Talked about relevant law for two of the interviews, but just chatted about my work experience for the other.

What i want to know is how much full time new hires get paid, i've looked online and everything says something different. I know it's probably not big law salaries, but im not sure 100k (which was the highest i found on glassdoor for senior advisory associate) is worth it... Anyone have an inside source or in the know?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I got one jd, and 2 mbas for the interviews--All one-on-one (didnt know who i'd get till i walked through the door). Talked about relevant law for two of the interviews, but just chatted about my work experience for the other.
I had similar interviewers, but none talked about relevant law at all. It was similar to a biglaw interview with with more behavioral questions. Thought it went well. Not sure what to make of it though..wonder what their hiring criteria is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Just got my "unofficial" offer today over the phone! Hope the rest of you hear something soon!

No mention of compensation, (i also didnt ask). I assume it's similar to big law for Summers at least, i can't imagine them expecting us to pass up big law for too much less, especially since most new JD senior associates i met in NYC were 3L hires that didnt summer w PwC. (ie: summering isnt necessary for this gig). I'll update when i get the official email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:46 pm

Congrats! Does that mean a ding for the rest of us?

I'm really really bummed, I was actually really looking forward to this one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:24 am

I dont think it means an automatic ding-i talked to a curent 3L who summered last year and he got a call about the position à week after his interview, maybe they stagger it to see who accepts first? Im still waiting to hear back too, so i hope thats how it is!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:23 am

Hey -

Has anyone in DC/Va area been contacted for an interview? On my school's symplicity the app deadline is listed as Oct. 11, & the career center told me "PwC says they're not even looking at apps yet," which seems counter to everything I've read/heard (especially in CA & NY). I've been checking the HR status on my profile & it always says "HR status unavailable." If anyone has any info, I'd really appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:41 pm

To the poster above, several people at super day were from GW law if that helps. Everyone else was from NY area law schools. If previous posts in this thread are to be believed, there are multiple rounds of hiring, so don't give up hope because this might have just been the first round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Yeah I didn't get an interview until late Oct/ early Nov. last year.

edit: DC/VA/MD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Thank you for the info - very helpful!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”