PwC Financial Services - Regulatory Advisory Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: PwC Financial Services - Regulatory Advisory

Post by gaddockteeg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Lol they actually left a voicemail
Imagine my surprise. I was in class and thought it was good news. No hard feelings though. At least they put the effort in to call me.

Also, got rejected last week (within a week of my callback).[/quote]

how long was the whole process for you? I have an interview later this week (phone).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has any additional input.

Just got invited to the final round of interviews. Not really sure what to make of it. Does anyone know what the career progression/exit options from this type of role at a Big 4 would be? I would imagine in-house or potentially government jobs? Would a switch to Big Law or strategy consulting be possible?

Given the choice between this and a market-paying mid-sized law firm (200-300 lawyers), is the PwC job really worth considering?
When did you interview? How did you hear back?
Different anon
I interviewed 2 weeks ago
I got rejected via phone call
Thats fucked up. Did you get rejected today?
Lol they actually left a voicemail
Imagine my surprise. I was in class and thought it was good news. No hard feelings though. At least they put the effort in to call me.

Also, got rejected last week (within a week of my callback).[/quote]

Mind talking about your call back? Were there case studies or anything? or just a typical biglaw call back? Was your interview for a traveling position?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:49 am

Did anyone interview last week and hear back from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:51 am

What about exit options into management consulting from this? Going to McKinsey or Bain? Also, can anyone speak to the accuracy of the link on the previous page regarding compensation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about exit options into management consulting from this? Going to McKinsey or Bain? Also, can anyone speak to the accuracy of the link on the previous page regarding compensation?
You're going to want to go read Walstreetoasis for questions like this. There isn't a ton of expertise here (though some). My gut sense is no, if you don't have the Grades/Test Scores/Background for MBB already.

Also, MBB are really strategy, and to a lesser extent operations. I'm not sure how regulatory advisory experience would benefit their practice. Maybe if you managed to move within PwC to one of their finance/operations based positions, sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about exit options into management consulting from this? Going to McKinsey or Bain? Also, can anyone speak to the accuracy of the link on the previous page regarding compensation?
Omg. I rolled my eyes. There's more to life than McKinsey and Bain. There are a lot of good consulting firms outside of McKinsey and Bain. Jesus.

Anyway, McKinsey/Bain do strategy. These people do financial modeling and other quantitative stuff. Compliance/regulatory is not strategy. McKinsey does have a Risk group that does some risk control, but it's usually on a strategy perspective.

However, PWC is a fine firm within itself. The Big 4 is not necessairly a great job per se, but the firms have a solid reputation fo development of talent. If you can't get Big Law, I would run not walk at a Big 4 offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 am

I know people that work in this group and have talked to them a lot about it. Apparently its for a Senior Associate position within their Financial Services Advisory Practice. They break up the competencies a lot so it is a mix of risk, regulatory, finance, etc.

The pay is 100K + X signing bonus (some got one some didnt, usually around 5k) and there is talk of raising it because the people they hire from good law schools get good opportunities outside. MBAs get paid $135 + $20 - $35 bonus to sign on and that is something the JDs I know dont like very much. For exit opps, I know people that have left to go in-house into dodd-frank compliance roles, people have gone to PE firms to be part of in-house, and people have left for law firms.

It is a pretty new program, so they are trying out lots of different things now. I know my friends have been very busy, and if you are interested in banking or securities regulation, this job apparently sets you up perfectly because you work with ex-regulators and ex-law firm regulatory lawyers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know people that work in this group and have talked to them a lot about it. Apparently its for a Senior Associate position within their Financial Services Advisory Practice. They break up the competencies a lot so it is a mix of risk, regulatory, finance, etc.

The pay is 100K + X signing bonus (some got one some didnt, usually around 5k) and there is talk of raising it because the people they hire from good law schools get good opportunities outside. MBAs get paid $135 + $20 - $35 bonus to sign on and that is something the JDs I know dont like very much. For exit opps, I know people that have left to go in-house into dodd-frank compliance roles, people have gone to PE firms to be part of in-house, and people have left for law firms.

It is a pretty new program, so they are trying out lots of different things now. I know my friends have been very busy, and if you are interested in banking or securities regulation, this job apparently sets you up perfectly because you work with ex-regulators and ex-law firm regulatory lawyers
Thanks for this info! Also, just to clarify, do you mean that they are thinking of increasing the signing bonus or the salary for JDs from good law schools? I can't imagine keeping such disparate pay for people in similar roles and also retaining the JDs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know people that work in this group and have talked to them a lot about it. Apparently its for a Senior Associate position within their Financial Services Advisory Practice. They break up the competencies a lot so it is a mix of risk, regulatory, finance, etc.

Thanks for this info! Also, just to clarify, do you mean that they are thinking of increasing the signing bonus or the salary for JDs from good law schools? I can't imagine keeping such disparate pay for people in similar roles and also retaining the JDs.
They only just recently increased the JD starting salary to 100K. I don't think they'd increase the signing bonus based on your school, seems like a great way to sow discontent from the get go. Plus alot of JDs from lower ranked schools are also the ones who come in with more relevant industry experience. And i don't expect a salary hike to go because really what leverage do you have as a JD? MBAs are paid more because they go into a strategy consulting role. JDs at best are risk consultants, and PwC is too smart to directly compete with law firms on the salary front.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mind talking about your call back? Were there case studies or anything? or just a typical biglaw call back? Was your interview for a traveling position?
Sure
My interview process:
Interview in person. Callback I think 1-2 weeks later via email. Rejection a week later
No cases. Similar to a biglaw callback but much more structured. They had many behavioral questions and some curve ball ones that I would not have been able to prepare for in a million years. Other than that, just make sure you know what they do, why you want to be a part of it, and have answers to standard interview questions (at the very least). I spent all day looking at glassdoor and looking at example questions but none of the ones on the site came up for my interview. They were completely different.

You don't know if you are traveling until you start working. You don't really get to choose where/if you travel if you are a junior. However, speaking with everyone, it seems like the majority stay in NYC or the general area since most financial institutions are there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Have people tried applying to their other divisions and are people just submitting apps online and then receiving interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have people tried applying to their other divisions and are people just submitting apps online and then receiving interviews?
i just applied to the one online and then got the interview that way

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They only just recently increased the JD starting salary to 100K. I don't think they'd increase the signing bonus based on your school, seems like a great way to sow discontent from the get go. Plus alot of JDs from lower ranked schools are also the ones who come in with more relevant industry experience. And i don't expect a salary hike to go because really what leverage do you have as a JD? MBAs are paid more because they go into a strategy consulting role. JDs at best are risk consultants, and PwC is too smart to directly compete with law firms on the salary front.
They won't discriminate based on school, but their hiring is trending towards higher ranked schools. A few people have left to take big law jobs or in house jobs after a year that went to good schools, so they are thinking about increasing pay across the board for JDs or hiring people with more experience and paying more, since their best people are leaving.

MBAs are not all strategy. I worked with MBAs a lot and they do the same stuff as the JDs, unless they get recruited into a different group. This is why I know JDs that started looking elsewhere after they had really good reviews and felt underpaid compared to MBAs. There isn't much value an MBA can provide when trying to figure out dodd-frank and if anything the clients tend to trust the JDs I worked with more than the MBAs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Anyone know if they are still hiring/interviewing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Anyone know how many positions they are looking to fill?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how many positions they are looking to fill?
My friend that works at PwC says there are something like 120 positions like this on the internal jobs board. So a lot

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My friend that works at PwC says there are something like 120 positions like this on the internal jobs board. So a lot
Got a public application link or something?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you submitted your resume through the website with this as your preferred job? My school had this advertised on Simplicity but it isn't there any more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you submitted your resume through the website with this as your preferred job? My school had this advertised on Simplicity but it isn't there any more.
I missed my schools simplicity deadline, but I'd like to apply. I'll take that method, then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Any offers here? How long after the final round do you hear back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
not for financial advisory
The financial advisory group is relatively small (like 50-100)
I think their summer class is around 12 or so. Not sure if that includes only law students or everyone

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Any more news? Bump for offers or hearing about a final round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more news? Bump for offers or hearing about a final round?
My friend went to the Superday today. She hasn't heard anything yet. According to her, decisions will be made in the next week. However, an alum there now received theirs hours after their Superday last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any more news? Bump for offers or hearing about a final round?
My friend went to the Superday today. She hasn't heard anything yet. According to her, decisions will be made in the next week. However, an alum there now received theirs hours after their Superday last year.
This is true. Although I would assume it does not bode well if you don't hear before Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 am

Anyone hear anything post superday?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”