Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
SaintTheMetal wrote:No, Redfactor is 100% right. Eat more calories than you burn and you gain weight, eat less calories and you lose weight. No magic. Most people depending on body size with ZERO exercise will burn somewhere 1500-2500 calories, eat less than your particular metabolism burns and you will lose weight (don't even need to step into the dreaded gym!)

As far as the pooping comment, yes calories from fiber carbs do not metabolize, so you don't actually need to count the 4 cals per carb, but again that can only decrease the actual calories you are consuming, there is absolutely no way to take in more calories than what is on the back of the box/wrapper/bag/whatever.

tl;dr (calories in) - (calories burned) = net weight gain
Fat people either have a problem of being ignorant of the actual macros of what they're eating, or a self-control problem, but usually both. Hint: your Panera Bread sandwich has almost twice as many calories as a Big Mac. Add in a soda and a bag of chips and you're near 1500 calories in that one meal.

whether you exercise or not will really only determine whether a calorie SURPLUS will be used to build muscle or fat, or similarly at a calorie DEFICIT exercise can minimize the amount of muscle burned.



edit: who cares about the BMI system (yes it does not work for athletes.) If you have a shit load of body fat, you are fat.
Quantitative measures are very difficult or inaccurate, whether BMI or BF%, but the simple visual test never fails.


Yeah, most of this post is junk science.


Lol, just lol, at using some idiot journalist's book to debunk decades of studies and the methods subscribed to by every successful bodybuilder and pretty much every aesthetic person. This guy is famous for taking quotes out of context to prove his contrived points. Try really reading some of what he says, as well as how he has been torn apart by real nutritionists ie Alan Aragorn

Besides, his ultimate thesis is that, shocker, carbs are the cause of most people being over-weight, not dietary fats. That is not exactly a shocker... cut out carbs and you REALLY have to try to get over your maintenance calories. OTOH, low fats has been the traditional bodybuilding diets since about EVER

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Yeah, carbs make people fat because they have calories in them. It has nothing at all to do with triggering excessive insulin production and leading to insulin resistance over time. Nothing at all.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BluePurgatory
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby BluePurgatory » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:37 pm

She should have more buttsex. Nothing burns calories like buttsex. 8)

Pokemon
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Inappropriate in my opinion for the firm to discuss those things and tell her about it. Because you can statistically prove that having unprotected sex with random people increases your chances of STDs, which in turn increases insurance costs, it does not mean that I should tell associates not to sleep with as many people.
The rest of the stuff here is irrelevant. TLS Forum is not the place to discuss why some people are heavier than others.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 pm

To the lawyers who tell the girl in OP's post to health advise: Stop hating on people that aren't like you. Stop trying to change people who aren't like you.

To the girl in OP's post: Consider finding a job with less dickish people, if you can. If not, show up one day with a salad, declare extremely loudly and cheerfully that you are now eating more salads thanks to their constant advice and tell them about all the research you did thanks to their comments on diets. Make sure that everyone in the office can hear you, especially the other large people. Then go and eat in a corner, smiling sweetly at them every time they look at you. Start an office walking club, and send an email around, expressly thanking each of them for their constant suggestions that you lose weight. Buy each of them a pedometer.

Enjoy never being bitched at again.

And stop letting cockbags ruin your life. If someone is a dick, be a dick right back and put them back in their place.
Last edited by Scotusnerd on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:To the lawyers who tell the girl in OP's post to health advise: Stop hating on people that aren't like you. Stop trying to change people who aren't like you.

To the girl in OP's post: Consider finding a job with less dickish people, if you can. If not, show up one day with a salad, declare extremely loudly and cheerfully that you are now eating more salads thanks to their constant advice and tell them about all the research you did thanks to their comments on diets. Make sure that everyone in the office can hear you, especially the other large people. Then go and eat in a corner, smiling sweetly at them every time they look at you. Start an office walking club, and send an email around, expressly thanking each of them for their constant suggestions that you lose weight. Buy each of them a pedometer.

Enjoy never being bitched at again.


That is one way to make friends, I guess...

User avatar
Homelandsagreatshow
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:Yeah, carbs make people fat because they have calories in them. It has nothing at all to do with triggering excessive insulin production and leading to insulin resistance over time. Nothing at all.


Protein consumption causes an insulin spike, too. Carbohydrates aren't evil, they're merely very easy to over-consume and therefore cause weight gain because of a calorie surplus.

It all boils down to calories in v. calories out. A great example of this is seen here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html. The claims made by Taubes have been shown to be false on numerous occasions.

Btw, props to the guy above citing Alan Aragon!


Protein consumption causes way less of an insulin spike than fast acting carbs. Slow acting, not quite as bad. Also, lets not forget that a bunch of water molecules attach to a carbo molecule, so you retain a lot more water with carbs, which is a big reason for the increase/decrease in weight depending on your carbo intake.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think bad decisions lead to weight gain. But it's a lot harder than some people think to lose weight for a variety of reasons.

E.g, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... found.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magaz ... wanted=all

Edit: didn't mean to make anon.

The articles you linked don't support your point at all but actually support the idea that some people are just naturally fat.


Nobody is naturally fat. Nobody is naturally skinny. Some people just consume more calories than they burn. Yes, it is true that some people need more calories than others, but nobody is "naturally fat."


Some people stay hungry even after they eat enough calories. That doesn't make them naturally fat, but it's pretty close.


No. Some people eat foods that are too calorie dense and not filling enough. Drinking water, eating less calorie dense foods, etc are the ways that you responsibly combat this.

User avatar
Agoraphobia
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby Agoraphobia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:Protein consumption causes way less of an insulin spike than fast acting carbs. Slow acting, not quite as bad. Also, lets not forget that a bunch of water molecules attach to a carbo molecule, so you retain a lot more water with carbs, which is a big reason for the increase/decrease in weight depending on your carbo intake.


100% true. My son has type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. Certain foods definitely spike his bgs quicker than others. (Why he has to carry pure glucose and/or candy around in case his sugars are crashing - they work FAST. Why his bedtime snack needs to have protein and possibly a little fat. Because otherwise he will spike, then crash when he is asleep - which is very dangerous.)

The glycemic index has helped us a lot in figuring out what's best for him to eat (usually something lower on the GI unless he is crashing and needs a quick bg boost.)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/ ... _foods.htm

--> edit to clarify that bgs is shorthand for blood sugars/blood glucose levels

LgllyBlnde
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby LgllyBlnde » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 am


Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 am

Aside from whether this conduct is horrible and unprofessional or not, I think another question implicit in your post seems to be 'does this really happen?' and I think the answer to that is that it depends on the context. My personal, unscientific observation/experience is that the number of fat attorneys in a firm increases as you go: biglaw --> mid law --> small law, north --> south, and city --> suburbs. At certain NYC biglaw firms, you really could be one of very, very few fat people, and I can see that being uncomfortable. On the other hand, I know someone at a firm back home who is the only thin person!

buddingjd
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby buddingjd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Doesn't biglaw = cocaine abuse = skinny anyways?

El Dangeroso
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby El Dangeroso » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Here's more anecdata: the only fat women big/midlaw attorneys I've seen [so, obviously, limited sample] have been very, very, very good at their jobs.



True in my experience as well.

El Dangeroso
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby El Dangeroso » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:46 pm

guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bull Durham wrote:Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.


Is this from the movie Bull Durham, or is this from Infinite Jest? I enjoy both low and high culture, and the line is often blurry.

El Dangeroso
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Being Fat in Big/Mid law??

Postby El Dangeroso » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:50 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Nobody is naturally fat. Nobody is naturally skinny. Some people just consume more calories than they burn. Yes, it is true that some people need more calories than others, but nobody is "naturally fat."


Some people stay hungry even after they eat enough calories. That doesn't make them naturally fat, but it's pretty close.


No. Some people eat foods that are too calorie dense and not filling enough. Drinking water, eating less calorie dense foods, etc are the ways that you responsibly combat this.[/quote]

Agreed. In addition, if you aren't getting enough nutrients because you're eating a lot of carbs and not enough fruits and vegetables, you'll still be hungry because your body is still craving what it needs. It's not always about how much you're eating, but what you are eating.

Great thread by the way.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.