From Cornell to NYU bid the same firms as if i am at Cornel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

From Cornell to NYU bid the same firms as if i am at Cornel?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Transfering from Cornell to NYU. I prepared a bid list for Cornell, and since they provide GPA ranges, I am familair with what schools are my reach, safeties ect. My question is, if i transfer to NYU does that change at all? For instance, if Simpson is a reach according to Cornells numbers, will it still be a reach? Will it be harder to get? Should I bid the exact same firms (just in a different order) if In decide to go to NYU and do thier job fair instead of Cornells? All advice is appreciated

guano

Re: From Cornell to NYU bid the same firms as if i am at Cornel?

Postby guano » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfering from Cornell to NYU. I prepared a bid list for Cornell, and since they provide GPA ranges, I am familair with what schools are my reach, safeties ect. My question is, if i transfer to NYU does that change at all? For instance, if Simpson is a reach according to Cornells numbers, will it still be a reach? Will it be harder to get? Should I bid the exact same firms (just in a different order) if In decide to go to NYU and do thier job fair instead of Cornells? All advice is appreciated

The general rule is that firms will look at your old school/class rank. Transferring gives no advantage in that respect

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:16 pm

I transferred to a T6 school from a T14 last year. I think you should base your bidding on what you would have done at Cornell. However, transfers' OCIs can be a bit more unpredictable (often in a good way), so maybe include more reach firms (although don't go crazy). There were firms that I thought were out-of-reach that I got CBs to, but there were also a lot of firms that I thought were in target range that didn't give me a CB. It was a pretty wild ride, and really unpredictable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I transferred to a T6 school from a T14 last year. I think you should base your bidding on what you would have done at Cornell. However, transfers' OCIs can be a bit more unpredictable (often in a good way), so maybe include more reach firms (although don't go crazy). There were firms that I thought were out-of-reach that I got CBs to, but there were also a lot of firms that I thought were in target range that didn't give me a CB. It was a pretty wild ride, and really unpredictable.

OP here. Any other advice or resources you found helpful with the transition? I feel like I am doing docreview on TLS trying to find relevant threads.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I transferred to a T6 school from a T14 last year. I think you should base your bidding on what you would have done at Cornell. However, transfers' OCIs can be a bit more unpredictable (often in a good way), so maybe include more reach firms (although don't go crazy). There were firms that I thought were out-of-reach that I got CBs to, but there were also a lot of firms that I thought were in target range that didn't give me a CB. It was a pretty wild ride, and really unpredictable.

OP here. Any other advice or resources you found helpful with the transition? I feel like I am doing docreview on TLS trying to find relevant threads.

Generally, just do OCI like you otherwise would. Have a very good answer for "Why transfer?", especially when we're talking about Cornell -> NYU. They're both in the same market and both top schools. Sure, NYU is better, but you really need a solid answer, i.e. not "I wanted to prestige whore, so I traded up from T14 to T6." I found this to be especially difficult when interviewing with attorneys who went to my old school. It helped that I had personal reasons for transferring, so I was able to honestly say that I loved my old school and definitely would not have transferred out if not for my special situation. But that is something you'll run into, more than likely.

Return to “Legal Employment”