1L SA Firm Names in OCI Cover Letters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unlicensedpotato

1L SA Firm Names in OCI Cover Letters?

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Do we put them when describing our summer work or should we just put "as a summer associate in Dallas?"

I'm aware this is a really stupid question.

Thanks in advance.

hephaestus

Re: 1L SA Firm Names in OCI Cover Letters?

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Put the name of the firm. Why wouldn't you?

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 pm

For one thing, I was worried if it's a firm with a high offer rate, it'll draw even more attention to the fact that I'm probably going back there.

AFS

Postby AFS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Won't they be seeing what firm it is on your resume anyway?

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Just say you didn't accept an offer. If you didn't get one you can't accept one.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:For one thing, I was worried if it's a firm with a high offer rate, it'll draw even more attention to the fact that I'm probably going back there.

I think not putting it would raise more of a red flag.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 pm

To clarify, I wasn't no offered (yet at least), I just haven't heard either way so I have to bid as though I don't have an offer. I agree with everyone that it makes sense to use the firm name. I was just concerned that it looked kind of obnoxious to put it in.

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 am

Somewhat related question, when do firms usually give out offers? I also have a 1L SA, do firms usually let the 1Ls know they're being invited back for part of 2L summer at the same time they extend full time offers to the 2Ls?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:54 am

unlicensedpotato wrote:To clarify, I wasn't no offered (yet at least), I just haven't heard either way so I have to bid as though I don't have an offer. I agree with everyone that it makes sense to use the firm name. I was just concerned that it looked kind of obnoxious to put it in.

wtf why. no.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 am

Either humble brag, or stupid, or... You realize that 1L summer experience is a crucial part of the 2L summer interview process? Grades get you in the door, but you need to talk about something substantive...

Also, what do you mean by an offer? I could be woefully ignorant, but I don't recall many big firms making post-graduate offers to 1Ls... All of the biglaw firms that had 1L positions were pretty clear there was not an offer coming and that it was just an internship.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:31 am

Anyway... your second paragraph of your cover letter should have a nice thesis that relates to what your perspective employer would want to hear. Then relate that to a specific, or general experience at the firm you worked at.

E.g., at Paul Hastings I successfully prepared an MSJ in a week for a pro-bono limited civil claim in a week, and argued it and won.

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:09 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Either humble brag, or stupid, or... You realize that 1L summer experience is a crucial part of the 2L summer interview process? Grades get you in the door, but you need to talk about something substantive...

Also, what do you mean by an offer? I could be woefully ignorant, but I don't recall many big firms making post-graduate offers to 1Ls... All of the biglaw firms that had 1L positions were pretty clear there was not an offer coming and that it was just an internship.

Offer as in an offer to return for a couple weeks 2L summer and then determine if they want to extend you a full time offer after that. I thought this was common practice for 1L SA but I'm not the most knowledgeable person ...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:E.g., at Paul Hastings I successfully prepared an MSJ in a week for a pro-bono limited civil claim in a week, and argued it and won.

"And then I got no offered anyway"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 am

My 2L firm (I did public interest during 1L summer) made an offer to both 1Ls in our summer class at the same time they made an offer to everyone else.

Return to “Legal Employment”