Corporate or litigation for lateraling/career prospects Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate or litigation for lateraling/career prospects

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm starting soon in biglaw in NY and have the opportunity to choose between corporate work and litigation. The firm has a solid reputation for both, though is perhaps more well known for the corporate work. I'm a good legal writer, but I absolutely hate the process of legal research. I did some corporate work over the summer, and I got by fine. It didn't exactly thrill me either. But many of my peers in corporate have business or finance backgrounds, which could put me at somewhat of a disadvantage as time wears on.

I highly doubt I'm going to stay at my firm for more than 3-4 years, but I'd like to keep my options as open as possible when I start looking for exit options. I'm not an ardent lover of the law and don't see myself being in law in 20 years. And I really don't care if I do corporate or litigation. But while I'm in law, I'd like to have as many options as I possibly can.

Thoughts?

AllDangle

Bronze

Re: Corporate or litigation for lateraling/career prospects

Post by AllDangle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Interested in this also

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Well what do you want to lateral/exit to

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Lateral options are presumably equal between corporate and litigation. In-house exits are said to be easier from corporate. For this reason, corporate is thought to have better exit options. From the sound of it, OP, you should probably do corporate. I say this because you say you don't like research or, for that matter, the law. Corporate gets you further from those things than litigation.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting soon in biglaw in NY and have the opportunity to choose between corporate work and litigation. The firm has a solid reputation for both, though is perhaps more well known for the corporate work. I'm a good legal writer, but I absolutely hate the process of legal research. I did some corporate work over the summer, and I got by fine. It didn't exactly thrill me either. But many of my peers in corporate have business or finance backgrounds, which could put me at somewhat of a disadvantage as time wears on.

I highly doubt I'm going to stay at my firm for more than 3-4 years, but I'd like to keep my options as open as possible when I start looking for exit options. I'm not an ardent lover of the law and don't see myself being in law in 20 years. And I really don't care if I do corporate or litigation. But while I'm in law, I'd like to have as many options as I possibly can.

Thoughts?
Corporate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Bronte wrote:Lateral options are presumably equal between corporate and litigation. In-house exits are said to be easier from corporate. For this reason, corporate is thought to have better exit options. From the sound of it, OP, you should probably do corporate. I say this because you say you don't like research or, for that matter, the law. Corporate gets you further from those things than litigation.
What kinds of exit options are there for lit? Also, why are these necessarily(said to be) worse than in-house exits? Thanks!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Bronte wrote:Lateral options are presumably equal between corporate and litigation. In-house exits are said to be easier from corporate. For this reason, corporate is thought to have better exit options. From the sound of it, OP, you should probably do corporate. I say this because you say you don't like research or, for that matter, the law. Corporate gets you further from those things than litigation.
What kinds of exit options are there for lit? Also, why are these necessarily(said to be) worse than in-house exits? Thanks!
The theory is that all but the very largest companies do not have in-house litigation departments. The role of their in-house guys is more focused on advising on transactions and managing outside counsel. Thus, they prefer to hire corporate attorneys.

The primary option of litigators is to lateral to another big law firm or a smaller firm. Government jobs are probably the second most popular option, and in my opinion this is a very appealing aspect of litigation. But with government hiring the way it is this might not be something to rely on.

Keep in mind that I'm essentially in echo chamber mode here. Exit options are kind of a black box.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Bronte wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
The theory is that all but the very largest companies do not have in-house litigation departments. The role of their in-house guys is more focused on advising on transactions and managing outside counsel. Thus, they prefer to hire corporate attorneys.

The primary option of litigators is to lateral to another big law firm or a smaller firm. Government jobs are probably the second most popular option, and in my opinion this is a very appealing aspect of litigation. But with government hiring the way it is this might not be something to rely on.

Keep in mind that I'm essentially in echo chamber mode here. Exit options are kind of a black box.
I appreciate the response. I've been interested in corporate, but as a 0L I probably have no clue about anything. I'm on the fence as of now because I've heard there's a certain rush to litigation, if you get to see a courtroom that is. Also, being a judge is one of my dreams lol. Thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”