Median at P. Bids due at midnight. Thoughts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median at P. Bids due at midnight. Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:49 pm

This is exciting, my first anonymous post! I have pretty well distributed grades (1 B-, 2 As) that come out to exactly a B+ average, and a couple years of work experience. I'm from the NY area and my family's up there, but I've been in the Philly area for 7 years now and wouldn't mind staying, so those are my two markets. I have already set up interviews with two Philly firms as well (I'd prefer to not say which ones but they're absent from my list). Too aggressive? Any wasted bids?

1. Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP (NYC)
2. Proskauer LLP (NYC)
3. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP (NYC)
4. Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP (NYC)
5. Goodwin Procter LLP (NYC)
6. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (NYC)
7. Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman LLP (NYC)
8. Hogan Lovells (NYC)
9. DLA Piper LLP (US)
10. Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP (NYC)
11. Sidley Austin (NYC)
12. Debevoise & Plimpton LLP (NYC)
13. Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP (NYC)
14. Allen & Overy LLP (NYC)
15. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP (NYC)
16. Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (Phil)
17. Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP (NYC)
18. Linklaters (NYC)
19. Ropes & Gray (NYC)
20. Kaye Scholer (NYC)
21. Dechert LLP (NYC)
22. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP (NYC)
23. Paul Hastings (NYC)
24. Bracewell & Giuliani LLP (NYC)
25. Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP (NYC)
26. Kirkland & Ellis (NYC)
27. Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP (NYC)
28. Reed Smith (Phil)
29. Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young, LLP (Phil)
30. Cozen O'Connor (Phil)

Anonymous User

Re: Median at P. Bids due at midnight. Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm also a rising 2L so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think it looks pretty safe all-around. A few things that jumped out at me:
- Given how popular they were bid last year, K&E at 26 seems like a waste of a bid. I would either move it higher up or drop it lower down.
- Do you want GDC for a particular reason? Only asking because it has a rep of being pretty grade selective vs. some of the other higher vault firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 pm

OP here. Thanks! I think you're right, I need to ditch one of (two of?) GDC/GP/Akin, at least in my top ten. They're all reaches, but having rechecked their grade pie charts none of their NYC offices have any B-s, so I think I could reach smarter. I think I might swap K&E with GDC (or just drop GDC altogether). Thoughts on who else to move up or fill those holes with?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I think I need to ditch one of GDC/GP/Akin, at least in my top ten. They're all reaches, but having rechecked their grade pie charts none of their NYC offices have any B-s, so I think I could reach smarter. I think I might swap K&E with GDC (or just drop GDC altogether).

I'd take the grade pie chart with a grain of salt. My guess is that there simply aren't that many people with both a B- and multiple As

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Anon at 2:20 here. I don’t necessarily think 3 reaches in your top 10 is too much, especially since you do have the one B- dropping your GPA (I could be off, I dunno, I think one B- is easier to pass off then if you had straight B+’s) and if you still have the B+ GPA, your other grades obviously aren’t bad. I only pointed out GDC because they’re like…notorious about it. IMO, I think a K&E swap would be fair from what I’ve read.

I’m also doing most of this off the top of my head, but there might be some changes you can make to the rankings. Freshfields/Linklaters are good targets but seemed to have pretty low bid success rates to put in the latter half of your 11-20 slots. Depending on how much you want them, there are probably some other firms that aren’t huge reaches that you’re more likely to get through the lottery simply through number of interview slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm

OP again. Is the B- with the multiple As really that strange? My CPP counselor seemed to focus way more on the B- than the As, which is what I'm afraid employers are going to do.

Anyone know where Freshfields and Linklaters went last year? Allen/Overy also had a real low success rate with only 20 slots shared between DC/HK/NY, so I'm wondering if that's wasted if I don't put it real high, which I'm not sure I'm willing to do.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Is the B- with the multiple As really that strange? My CPP counselor seemed to focus way more on the B- than the As, which is what I'm afraid employers are going to do.

Anyone know where Freshfields and Linklaters went last year? Allen/Overy also had a real low success rate with only 20 slots shared between DC/HK/NY, so I'm wondering if that's wasted if I don't put it real high, which I'm not sure I'm willing to do.

I think the problem is that at P without GPAs on our resumes the odd grade really sticks out. Your bidlist is quite conservative overall, so I think you're in good shape. I wouldn't waste that bid on DLA though. Remember that the CP&P charts are aggregates of a lot of years of data and DLA's class in NYC has been tiny recently. I don't think it's worth using a top 10 bid on. No Schulte or Fried Frank? I agree that GDC prob isn't a good reach. I would move Weil up too, even with the layoffs I doubt you get a screener with a 25 bid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Is the B- with the multiple As really that strange? My CPP counselor seemed to focus way more on the B- than the As, which is what I'm afraid employers are going to do.

Well...I mean, if you get an A, it just means you did well. I can't really see interviewers going "wow, how did you manage that?" They'll probably just go "oh, but you did pretty well otherwise." But with a B- it's kind of a given that they kind of want to ask what happened. (I have a B- also :P and CP&P stressed that I needed to be able to answer that question).

Nelson wrote:Remember that the CP&P charts are aggregates of a lot of years of data

See, for some reason, I thought this, too (I don't know why I thought so but glad to see I'm not the only one). But it was pointed out to me that it's only the past two years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Nelson wrote:I think the problem is that at P without GPAs on our resumes the odd grade really sticks out. Your bidlist is quite conservative overall, so I think you're in good shape. I wouldn't waste that bid on DLA though. Remember that the CP&P charts are aggregates of a lot of years of data and DLA's class in NYC has been tiny recently. I don't think it's worth using a top 10 bid on. No Schulte or Fried Frank? I agree that GDC prob isn't a good reach. I would move Weil up too, even with the layoffs I doubt you get a screener with a 25 bid.

OP again. I swapped Allen and Overy with Goodwin Procter (5 and 14) because GP has double the slots and is a substantial reach. DLA has small classes, but their grade chart is appealing. Do you think they're just too small a class? They did make 3 offers from their 20 slots last year. I also have FF at 36 and Schulte at 44. Which firms would you move out in place of those? What're their particular draws?

Return to “Legal Employment”