Reaching out to alums when transferring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reaching out to alums when transferring

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:18 pm

I know that it can be helpful to reach out pre-OCI to alums at firms you're interested in, but I'll be transferring to a new school this fall.

I know it would probably be a bad move to reach out to alums from my old school, "how are you liking school x?" "Oh, it was good, but I ditched it" isn't a great answer.

On the other hand, I don't know how alums from my new school would feel about someone who doesn't have a connection to new school yet. Would this end up being awkward and make me look worse in the firm's eyes? The whole point of reaching out is to stand out, and I don't want to stand out as "that weird transfer who thought we had stuff in common without even setting foot inside T14 X."

I'd say which school, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice.

biglawww

Re: Reaching out to alums when transferring

Postby biglawww » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Don't reach out to old school. I'm also assuming old school has less alumni in big firms.

I don't think it's a problem to reach out to new school's alumni. Can you talk to career service in new school? Ask them for advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Reaching out to alums when transferring

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Follow-up question: If I'm still waiting on decision from my top-choice school, is it bad form to reach out to alums from the school I've gotten into and will almost certainly be attending? (The chances of anybody getting into Stanford are minimal, since it's such a tiny transfer class). I'm visiting Seattle for the next couple of weeks and would like to talk to attorneys at firms I like up there - so I'll need to send out feeler emails before I hear back from Stanford.

Return to “Legal Employment”