Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Ding-a-lings at Southern Poverty and Harlem Neighborhood Defender Service.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Tagged.

Accepted @ Brooklyn crim practice
Reject @ Bronx
Reject @ Miami

loisaida
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby loisaida » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm not looking at the PD (so I can't help most of you folks out there) but I got 2 out of 2 of the PI internships I applied for (immigration/ policy stuff).

Any idea what the table talk format will be like? I've never done of these conferences. Is the plan to go up and ask ~3 targeted questions? Aggressively sell ourselves? Chat for 2 minutes or 5?

Interviews are fine, but table talk opens up a whole other can of anxiety... Ugh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

loisaida wrote:I'm not looking at the PD (so I can't help most of you folks out there) but I got 2 out of 2 of the PI internships I applied for (immigration/ policy stuff).

Any idea what the table talk format will be like? I've never done of these conferences. Is the plan to go up and ask ~3 targeted questions? Aggressively sell ourselves? Chat for 2 minutes or 5?

Interviews are fine, but table talk opens up a whole other can of anxiety... Ugh.


there's a webinar tomorrow about table talk - look to sign up on the site

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm

loisaida wrote:I'm not looking at the PD (so I can't help most of you folks out there) but I got 2 out of 2 of the PI internships I applied for (immigration/ policy stuff).

Any idea what the table talk format will be like? I've never done of these conferences. Is the plan to go up and ask ~3 targeted questions? Aggressively sell ourselves? Chat for 2 minutes or 5?

Interviews are fine, but table talk opens up a whole other can of anxiety... Ugh.


Treat it like a brief, unofficial interview. Come prepared with 2-3 targeted questions that show that you've researched the employer thoroughly, and try to sell yourself. Bring extra copies of your resume, writing sample, etc. for table talks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm

do people think there will be any more movement tonight or will nothing happen until tomorrow? just trying to figure out if i should stop obsessively refreshing

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:do people think there will be any more movement tonight or will nothing happen until tomorrow? just trying to figure out if i should stop obsessively refreshing


Wondering the same. The cutoff is midnight, but no idea if the list automatically updates with these last-minute submissions from the employers. I saw somewhere on the site that sign-ups for interviews open at 8 a.m. (If they haven't already), so I guess they should definitely all be updated by then.

ETA: Just got a ding via email from Mecklenburg. Lemme go look at the site to see if there's any other carnage.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:do people think there will be any more movement tonight or will nothing happen until tomorrow? just trying to figure out if i should stop obsessively refreshing


Wondering the same. The cutoff is midnight, but no idea if the list automatically updates with these last-minute submissions from the employers. I saw somewhere on the site that sign-ups for interviews open at 8 a.m. (If they haven't already), so I guess they should definitely all be updated by then.

ETA: Just got a ding via email from Mecklenburg. Lemme go look at the site to see if there's any other carnage.


Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow at 1159PM?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:do people think there will be any more movement tonight or will nothing happen until tomorrow? just trying to figure out if i should stop obsessively refreshing


Wondering the same. The cutoff is midnight, but no idea if the list automatically updates with these last-minute submissions from the employers. I saw somewhere on the site that sign-ups for interviews open at 8 a.m. (If they haven't already), so I guess they should definitely all be updated by then.

ETA: Just got a ding via email from Mecklenburg. Lemme go look at the site to see if there's any other carnage.


Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow at 1159PM?


it says by 12am october 3. so tonight

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:do people think there will be any more movement tonight or will nothing happen until tomorrow? just trying to figure out if i should stop obsessively refreshing


Wondering the same. The cutoff is midnight, but no idea if the list automatically updates with these last-minute submissions from the employers. I saw somewhere on the site that sign-ups for interviews open at 8 a.m. (If they haven't already), so I guess they should definitely all be updated by then.

ETA: Just got a ding via email from Mecklenburg. Lemme go look at the site to see if there's any other carnage.


Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow at 1159PM?


it says by 12am october 3. so tonight


lol ET, CT, or PT? there goes sleep :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:19 am

I still have five showing as "requested." So I guess they're not too strict with the deadline, or it takes a while to process all the last-minute ones. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:09 am

Accepted at Mecklenburg after getting all the New York PD dings I could handle.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:So if I'm out at Bronx and Brooklyn, any thoughts on whether I still have a shot at Legal Aid? I don't know how competitive they are in relation to each other, just that they are all very competitive.

Maybe I'll just keep refreshing the page so I can watch all my hopes and dreams die in real time.


Legal Aid hires almost 10x the amount of grads as BDS (probably true for bronx too). I would still try for Legal Aid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted at Mecklenburg after getting all the New York PD dings I could handle.


Dinged by New Hampshire PD.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So if I'm out at Bronx and Brooklyn, any thoughts on whether I still have a shot at Legal Aid? I don't know how competitive they are in relation to each other, just that they are all very competitive.

Maybe I'll just keep refreshing the page so I can watch all my hopes and dreams die in real time.


Legal Aid hires almost 10x the amount of grads as BDS (probably true for bronx too). I would still try for Legal Aid.


This year they're hiring about a fifth as many people as they did last year for the criminal practice group. Likely about 10 people is what I heard from a staff attorney.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Just had an interview with LAS and they said they hired 90 that are about to start and they're looking to hire about 70 for next year FWIW

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Accepted for NH interview. Was a little confused by the two sign-up lists for both Friday and Saturday, but it looks normal now that I chose an interview time. I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Still "requested" for Community Legal Aid Society.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just had an interview with LAS and they said they hired 90 that are about to start and they're looking to hire about 70 for next year FWIW


Thanks for the info (and reassurance) Are those numbers all for criminal defense or overall?
Edit: Yeah, too high for just criminal, I realize. So I guess my revised question is whether you had a sense of how that would break down by practice area.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just had an interview with LAS and they said they hired 90 that are about to start and they're looking to hire about 70 for next year FWIW


wow that seems like an extremely high amount...but a good thing

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 pm

For those who interviewed at EJW last year, how long after the interview did you wait for a response?

Really hoping to get jerbed before the 1L tide rolls in...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm

BlueLotus wrote:For those who interviewed at EJW last year, how long after the interview did you wait for a response?

Really hoping to get jerbed before the 1L tide rolls in...


I had four callbacks before Thanksgiving and had accepted an offer before Christmas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still "requested" for Community Legal Aid Society.

Just got a ding from them (2L law clerk)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still "requested" for Community Legal Aid Society.

Just got a ding from them (2L law clerk)


I got dinged from their full-time staff attorney spot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Dinged from the 2nd Cir. position. No email. Just saw it online.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.